Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Independent Spirit Awards -- Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Independent Spirit Awards -- Discussion Thread

Old 03-01-07, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, the Academy has the luxury of being able to vote for anyone and any movie they like. With the Independent Spirit Awards the main qualifying condition is that the films are "independent". So they're working with a more limited slate of movies.

So, out of your two choices, I'd say it's more #2. Some performances may be good enough for ISAs, but not for the Academy Awards. Contrary to popular belief, there are a few good performances in studio made films.

I think it's simply a matter of what qualifies as "independent". Because I think the Academy Award nominations would more closely reflect the ISA if they operated under the same criteria.
Old 03-01-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts
I think that one of the things you may not realize about the Independent Spirit Awards is that (in the general competition categories) the films have to be set in the United States.
Old 03-01-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
They are different because the ISA organizers tend to promote those films which are unable to lobby for Oscar voting because they were already made on shoestring budgets.
Old 03-01-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I think that one of the things you may not realize about the Independent Spirit Awards is that (in the general competition categories) the films have to be set in the United States.
This is not true in the slightest. http://filmindependent.org/spiritawa...s/nominees.php
Old 03-01-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mijorico
See, the Academy has the luxury of being able to vote for anyone and any movie they like. With the Independent Spirit Awards the main qualifying condition is that the films are "independent". So they're working with a more limited slate of movies.
This is important. Unless I misunderstand the point of the ISAs, they're pulling from a limited set of films (depending on the definition of independent). The Oscars pull from everything. It's like comparing the all-ACC team (in any sport) to the all-NCAA team. Of course the list are going to be different for the most part. I'm not really sure what the point of the OP was. It seems logical how these things work.
Old 03-01-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts
Originally Posted by some idiot
Which garnered this response:
Originally Posted by FinkPish
This is not true in the slightest.
You're correct that I was wrong, but my thinking that wasn't so off the mark.

From ISA rules http://filmindependent.org/spiritawards/rules.php
Except for the category of Best Documentary and Best Foreign Film,
all nominations go to American films, defined as either:
a. Having at least one U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident credited in two or more of the following categories of responsibility: writer, director, producer; or
b. The film is set in the United States and fully financed by a company whose principal office is in the U.S.

Now, take a look at the Oscar nominees, cut out all the films that cost too much like The Departed, Babel, Blood Diamond, Dreamgirls.
To be eligible for a Spirit Award the cost of the completed film, including post, must be less than $20 million
And that makes me think that even though IMDb estimates the budget for LITTLE CHILDREN at $14 million,, it must actually have been over $20 million.

And cut out all the non-American films: The Queen, Last King of Scotland, Notes on a Scandal, Volver.

And you're left with LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, which won the Spirit Award for Best Picture.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not ODD that the ISA noms are so different from the Oscars,
Beisdes " a mission" to look outside the mainstream
ISA films must have a Uniqueness of vision and Original, provocative subject matter
It's because the ISAs have rules about budgets/financing, and (I'm gonna call it) American-ness that basically ensure their nominations will be different.
Old 03-02-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm not really sure what the point of the OP was. It seems logical how these things work.
My point was that some very good performers were nominated for the Indi Spirit awards, but only two that I noticed (Ryan Gosling - Half Nelson and Alan Arkin - Little Miss Sunshine) went on to get an Oscar nomination.

My thinking was that I wasn't sure why the nominations didn't carry over, so I gave my reasons in my first post as to why I thought that might be.
Old 03-02-07, 09:29 AM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
I caught this as well (at least I think this was the award show). Sarah Silverman hosted, right? I actually changed the channel shortly after her opening monologue (wasn't impressed with her hosting skills).

Anyway, it did turn me on to A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints -- which I have since rented (though not yet watched).
Old 03-02-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
I think some people are confused here. The point is that why aren't actors/films that are nominated for an ISA not also nominated for Oscar's, right? It's not why aren't actors/films that are nominated for Oscar's not nominated for an ISA.
Old 03-02-07, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by joltman
I think some people are confused here. The point is that why aren't actors/films that are nominated for an ISA not also nominated for Oscar's, right? It's not why aren't actors/films that are nominated for Oscar's not nominated for an ISA.
Yes. And isn't eligibility relative to that question? If more movies are eligible for Oscars, that could be part of the reason more of the ISA performances aren't recognized. A larger talent pool creates greater competition.
Old 03-03-07, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It could also be that the Oscars larely ignore independent films. Though, the past few years indies have gotten their due.
Old 12-20-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 Spirit Award Nominees Announced

The 2008 Independent's Spirit Awards nominees have been announced, and the complete list can be found at: http://www.filmindependent.org/spiri...inee_guide.php

For openers, the nominees for best film are:

THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
I'M NOT THERE
JUNO
A MIGHTY HEART
PARANOID PARK

The winners are announced on Saturday, Feb 23 (the day before the Oscars) and it's all televised live on IFC, then rebroadcast (usually in a censored version) later that evening on Bravo.
Old 12-03-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2010 Independent Spirit Award nominees announced

figured there would be some intrest in these
BEST FEATURE
'(500) Days Of Summer'
'Amreeka'
'Precious'
'Sin Nombre'
'The Last Station'

BEST DIRECTOR
Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, 'A Serious Man'
Lee Daniels, 'Precious'
Cary Joji Fukunaga, 'Sin Nombre'
James Gray, 'Two Lovers'
Michael Hoffman, 'The Last Station'

BEST FIRST FEATURE (Award given to the director and producer)
'A Single Man,' Director: Tom Ford, Producers: Tom Ford, Andrew Miano, Robert Salerno, Chris Weitz
'Crazy Heart,' Director: Scott Cooper, Producers: T Bone Burnett, Judy Cairo, Rob Carliner, Scott Cooper, Robert Duvall
'Easier With Practice,' Director: Kyle Patrick Alvarez, Producer: Cookie Carosella
'Paranormal Activity,' Director: Oren Peli, Producer: Jason Blum, Oren Peli
'The Messenger,' Director: Oren Moverman, Producers: Mark Gordon, Lawrence Inglee, Zach Miller

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
(Given to the best feature made for under $500,000)
'Big Fan'
'Humpday'
'The New Year Parade'
'Treeless Mountain'
'Zero Bridge'

BEST SCREENPLAY
Alessandro Camon, Oren Moverman, 'The Messenger'
Michael Hoffman, 'The Last Station'
Lee Toland Krieger, 'The Vicious Kind'
Greg Mottola, 'Adventureland'
Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber, '(500) Days Of Summer'

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
Sophie Barthes, 'Cold Souls'
Scott Cooper, 'Crazy Heart'
Cherien Dabis, 'Amreeka'
Geoffrey Fletcher, 'Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire'
Tom Ford, David Scearce, 'A Single Man'

BEST FEMALE LEAD
Maria Bello, 'Downloading Nancy'
Helen Mirren, 'The Last Station'
Gwenyth Paltrow, 'Two Lovers'
Gabourey Sidibe, 'Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire'
Nisreen Faour, 'Amreeka'

BEST MALE LEAD
Jeff Bridges, 'Crazy Heart'
Colin Firth, 'A Single Man'
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, '(500) Days Of Summer'
Souléymane Sy Savané, 'Goodbye Solo'
Adam Scott, 'The Vicious Kind'

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE
Dina Korzun, 'Cold Souls'
Mo'Nique, 'Precious'
Samantha Morton, 'The Messenger'
Natalie Press, 'Fifty Dead Men Walking'
Mia Wasikowska, 'That Evening Sun'

BEST SUPPORTING MALE
Jemaine Clement, 'Gentlemen Broncos'
Woody Harrelson, 'The Messenger'
Christian McKay, 'Me and Orson Welles'
Raymond McKinnon, 'That Evening Sun'
Christopher Plummer, 'The Last Station'

I actually forgot that Paranormal is an Indie I have heard very good things about Sin Nombre and i saw it at blockbuster the other night, i should give that a look right?
Old 12-03-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Independent Spirit Awards -- Discussion Thread

I didn't even know these were announced this early.

The Messenger is an awesome film. Too bad Ben Foster didn't get any recognition as these awards were his best bet. Haven't heard a lot about many of the other nominees, but I am very excited to see Could Souls, Crazy Heart and The Last Station.
Old 12-03-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Precious is going to clean up at this awards ceremony, and at several others to come.
Old 12-03-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 206 Posts

I love Gwyneth Paltrow, but "Two Lovers" was a mediocre film at best. And her performance in it was just o.k. Mainly because of the script and direction. I'm stunned and disappointed Carey Mulligan didn't get a nomination for "An Education". Not to mention Zooey Deschanel for "(500) Days of Summer". I mean, what the fuck!?
Old 12-03-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those concerned about the lack of Hurt Locker mention: I hear it was nominated in two categories after its festival circuit last year and therefore deemed ineligible for any Spirit awards this year.
Old 12-03-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes i do remember Hurt Locker being nominated last year.

Also the Spirit awards are always the most fun, since everyone is encouraged to swear.
Old 12-04-09, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I'm stunned and disappointed Carey Mulligan didn't get a nomination for "An Education".
She actually wasn't eligible, because the Spirit Awards consider An Education a foreign film (from the UK), which makes it ineligible for any acting awards (among others). Sin Nombre and The Last Station are not considered "foreign films" because they both have American directors.

Last edited by Aegean2007; 12-04-09 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 12:59 AM

No "Ink" ?

Fail.
Old 12-05-09, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume that Antichrist wasn't elegible either correct? I wonder if the Acadamy will nominate both performances
Old 12-05-09, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
She actually wasn't eligible, because the Spirit Awards consider An Education a foreign film (from the UK), which makes it ineligible for any acting awards (among others). Sin Nombre and The Last Station are not considered "foreign films" because they both have American directors.
This is absolute bullshit and pretty much akin to saying non-americans can't act or direct.
Old 12-05-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardercore
This is absolute bullshit and pretty much akin to saying non-americans can't act or direct.
The UKers have the British Independent Film Awards.
Old 03-04-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts

Just wanted to mention that the show is on tomorrow at 8pm Pacific/11pm Eastern. Looking at my Cox Cable channel guide, unless it's in error, it won't be on until 11pm here. WTH??

Another odd thing is it's usually on the day before the Oscars. I wonder why the change this year?

Anyway, it's usually a very fun show... uncensored and all. Highly recommended
Old 03-05-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know its airing live on the east coast at 11pm.

Also the great Eddie Izzard is the host

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.