DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Profanity in movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/565768-profanity-movies.html)

Yeti4623 12-02-09 12:22 PM

Profanity in movies

One thing I've noticed these days, unless it's a crime/gangster/cop movie, it's kind of annoying when movies have f words repeated over and over. It doesn't ruin the movie for me at all or anything, it's just kind of annoying. It feels like a gimmick. It also loses its power. In crime/gangster/cop movies, it doesn't feel like a gimmick, and doesn't seem to lose its power.

Am I the only one?

toddly6666 12-02-09 12:28 PM

Re: Profanity in movies

Fuck no! I'm right fuckin' with ya!

On a serious note, it is annoying in most movies. I would like to see a mafia movie that doesn't have one whole curse word in the whole flick. I suppose that would be like a fantasy film though.

Cursing is very creatively used in Appetow/Jody Hill productions though.

Yeti4623 12-02-09 12:32 PM

I like what Bob Clark said on his commentary for Porky's. He originally had a lot more profanity, but he was told by a producer or someone to pull back, and he ended up thinking it worked far better.

Travis McClain 12-02-09 12:33 PM

Strangely enough, it doesn't bother me so much in movies. Where I get frustrated with excessive language is in stand-up comedy. There are entirely too many comics that don't understand that their craft is predicated on their creative and thoughtful use of language. A well-placed word can send good material over the top, as has been demonstrated by many of the masters. Unfortunately, too many misunderstood the lesson and believe that those words are, themselves, what makes material good.

Drop 12-02-09 12:44 PM

It depends really, like anything in a story. Some people curse a lot, some don't. I don't think lots of cursing is necessarily a gimmick though.

Solid Snake 12-02-09 12:50 PM

For example, in District 9 it was used well. Loved that when Wikus used it later in his anger it still sounded odd for him to say it in that manner cuz..well...he isn't a tough guy.

maxfisher 12-02-09 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drop (Post 9866830)
It depends really, like anything in a story. Some people curse a lot, some don't. I don't think lots of cursing is necessarily a gimmick though.

Yep, this. There are people who walk around saying fuck every other word. There are others that might slip up with a darn it when they slam their hand in a door. A movie's language should reflect the way its characters would speak in real life, so some movies will have tons of swearing, others will have none and most will lie somewhere between.

Crocker Jarmen 12-02-09 01:14 PM

Also, remember that movies tend to be about dramatic moments. A character is more likely to use profanity while arguing with their spouse or engaged in a shoot out then they would while clipping their tonenails or sleeping or in any other routine life moment most movies don't focus on.

Hokeyboy 12-02-09 01:59 PM

And get rid of that darned rock-and-roll music too!

Artman 12-02-09 02:24 PM

I could do without it, but as long as it fits and is well written... couldn't imagine some movies without it (goodfellas, etc) What bothers me is when you have one or two F bombs just kinda thrown in there for no real reason, than it sounds forced and stands out.

Groucho 12-02-09 02:38 PM

After one episode of Deadwood, a typical Hollywood film is like Sunday school when it comes to profanity. :lol:

statcat 12-02-09 02:45 PM

I think Rob Zombie's movies win the award for having the most overuse of profanity to the point of being unrealistic almost.

Noonan 12-02-09 02:56 PM

I think the discussion could go both ways. A lot of movies throw in extra amounts of profanity for shock value while others don't use enough to get lighter ratings. If I was ever going through the events of Paranormal Activity (first that came to mind), I'd fill the swear jar 5 times over. I don't remember either of them using profanity much at all during the film.

eXcentris 12-02-09 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9867101)
After one episode of Deadwood, a typical Hollywood film is like Sunday school when it comes to profanity. :lol:

Yup, and who can forget this classic scene from "The Wire" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM

slabinskia 12-02-09 03:33 PM

I agree with the group that think it's ok as long as it fits the situation. I will give an example.

I recently watch the Tony Scott movie True Romance again. It has a bunch of cursing and while it is excessive, it doesn't take away from the movie.

I also watched another Tony Scott film The Taking of Pelham 1.2.3. and thought the cursing was outrageous. Travolta especially sounded like a kid in junior high trying to sound tough. While it would be realistic for a hostage taker to use the f word excessively, it just felt out of place and made a poor movie (imo) even worse.

Giantrobo 12-02-09 03:51 PM

British Films set in the Blue Collar or Seedy settings often have more "Fucks" then most American films. :lol:

Artman 12-02-09 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by slabinskia (Post 9867215)
I also watched another Tony Scott film The Taking of Pelham 1.2.3. and thought the cursing was outrageous. Travolta especially sounded like a kid in junior high trying to sound tough. While it would be realistic for a hostage taker to use the f word excessively, it just felt out of place and made a poor movie (imo) even worse.

Lol, i thought that was the only entertaining part of the movie. I think that's the character Travolta was playing, he wasn't a career criminal, it was his first time committing a violent crime. Just how i interpreted it.

gmanca 12-02-09 04:07 PM

Well, John Malkovich's multiple variations on "what-the-fuck" in Burn After Reading were great.

Yeti4623 12-02-09 04:22 PM

I understand it's realistic, but I think profanity is powerful, and I think it loses its power, if it's used over and over, over the course of an entire runtime. Like I said though, I don't mind it, in crime/gangster/cop movies.

Sonic 12-02-09 05:33 PM

Re: Profanity in fucking movies

Originally Posted by Yeti4623 (Post 9866775)
One thing I've noticed these days, unless it's a crime/gangster/cop movie, it's kind of annoying when movies have f words repeated over and over. It doesn't ruin the movie for me at all or anything, it's just kind of annoying. It feels like a gimmick. It also loses its power. In crime/gangster/cop movies, it doesn't feel like a gimmick, and doesn't seem to lose its power.

Am I the only one?

The word fuck is part of the american vocabulary. :)

Supermallet 12-02-09 07:42 PM

I don't cussing care about all this cussing nonsense. Cuss!

MrSmearkase 12-02-09 07:57 PM

Sometimes, a lot of profanity fits the character...

http://mmarques.neodesigner.com/imgs..._Carpenter.jpg

(Not a movie, I know, but still a good reason to post her pic :))

MovieMaster11 12-02-09 10:18 PM

I recently watched Burn After Reading and just felt like it was excessive.

My Other Self 12-02-09 10:21 PM

I took my ex-fiance on our first date to see Superman Returns and The Departed double feature at the Drive-In. I expected the language in The Departed to be on par with a Scorcese film but my ex was totally offended. I had to take her home because she didn't want to hear it or do anything else after that. :lol:

Numanoid 12-03-09 01:05 AM

^ And you later proposed to her? :doh:

UAIOE 12-03-09 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 9866865)
There are people who walk around saying fuck every other word.

mndtrp 12-03-09 12:46 PM

My buddy and I used to get drunk and watch that Jay and Silent Bob part on repeat, trying out the various different languages on the DVD. Hilarious, although I haven't watched the movie in years.

Sometimes the profanity is excessive, most times it's not. It depends on the character.

Rypro 525 12-03-09 01:37 PM

Try watching Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America, that guy is like god of swearing :lol:

asianxcore 12-03-09 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE (Post 9868397)
*SNIP*

That scene in Jay and Silent Bob always cracks me up when I see it :lol:

LickTheABCs 12-03-09 02:03 PM

The first thing I thought of was:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Ae7lVqhinM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Ae7lVqhinM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rypro 525 12-03-09 02:08 PM

^ The word "fuck" and its variations are used 522 times, an average of 4.25 times per minute, a higher rate than any other film to date

The word "****" is used 82 times in this film.

writer106 12-03-09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Drop (Post 9866830)

I agree with you it depends on the story. I think the cursing in American History X blended well with the story.

UAIOE 12-04-09 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 9869345)
^ The word "fuck" and its variations are used 522 times, an average of 4.25 times per minute, a higher rate than any other film to date

The word "****" is used 82 times in this film.

Yikes....522 times. And I thought "fuck" was used a lot in "Jay & Silent Bob", I read it was only used 235 times there.

My Other Self 12-04-09 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 9868337)
^ And you later proposed to her? :doh:

Yeah, but we never got married so what does that say? ;)

orangecrush 12-04-09 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 9866808)
Strangely enough, it doesn't bother me so much in movies. Where I get frustrated with excessive language is in stand-up comedy. There are entirely too many comics that don't understand that their craft is predicated on their creative and thoughtful use of language. A well-placed word can send good material over the top, as has been demonstrated by many of the masters. Unfortunately, too many misunderstood the lesson and believe that those words are, themselves, what makes material good.

I agree 100%.