Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Profanity in movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Profanity in movies

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Profanity in movies

One thing I've noticed these days, unless it's a crime/gangster/cop movie, it's kind of annoying when movies have f words repeated over and over. It doesn't ruin the movie for me at all or anything, it's just kind of annoying. It feels like a gimmick. It also loses its power. In crime/gangster/cop movies, it doesn't feel like a gimmick, and doesn't seem to lose its power.

Am I the only one?
Old 12-02-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Profanity in movies

Fuck no! I'm right fuckin' with ya!

On a serious note, it is annoying in most movies. I would like to see a mafia movie that doesn't have one whole curse word in the whole flick. I suppose that would be like a fantasy film though.

Cursing is very creatively used in Appetow/Jody Hill productions though.
Old 12-02-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like what Bob Clark said on his commentary for Porky's. He originally had a lot more profanity, but he was told by a producer or someone to pull back, and he ended up thinking it worked far better.
Old 12-02-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Strangely enough, it doesn't bother me so much in movies. Where I get frustrated with excessive language is in stand-up comedy. There are entirely too many comics that don't understand that their craft is predicated on their creative and thoughtful use of language. A well-placed word can send good material over the top, as has been demonstrated by many of the masters. Unfortunately, too many misunderstood the lesson and believe that those words are, themselves, what makes material good.
Old 12-02-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends really, like anything in a story. Some people curse a lot, some don't. I don't think lots of cursing is necessarily a gimmick though.
Old 12-02-09, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For example, in District 9 it was used well. Loved that when Wikus used it later in his anger it still sounded odd for him to say it in that manner cuz..well...he isn't a tough guy.
Old 12-02-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
It depends really, like anything in a story. Some people curse a lot, some don't. I don't think lots of cursing is necessarily a gimmick though.
Yep, this. There are people who walk around saying fuck every other word. There are others that might slip up with a darn it when they slam their hand in a door. A movie's language should reflect the way its characters would speak in real life, so some movies will have tons of swearing, others will have none and most will lie somewhere between.
Old 12-02-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Also, remember that movies tend to be about dramatic moments. A character is more likely to use profanity while arguing with their spouse or engaged in a shoot out then they would while clipping their tonenails or sleeping or in any other routine life moment most movies don't focus on.
Old 12-02-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

And get rid of that darned rock-and-roll music too!
Old 12-02-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I could do without it, but as long as it fits and is well written... couldn't imagine some movies without it (goodfellas, etc) What bothers me is when you have one or two F bombs just kinda thrown in there for no real reason, than it sounds forced and stands out.
Old 12-02-09, 02:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

After one episode of Deadwood, a typical Hollywood film is like Sunday school when it comes to profanity.
Old 12-02-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Rob Zombie's movies win the award for having the most overuse of profanity to the point of being unrealistic almost.
Old 12-02-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I think the discussion could go both ways. A lot of movies throw in extra amounts of profanity for shock value while others don't use enough to get lighter ratings. If I was ever going through the events of Paranormal Activity (first that came to mind), I'd fill the swear jar 5 times over. I don't remember either of them using profanity much at all during the film.
Old 12-02-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
After one episode of Deadwood, a typical Hollywood film is like Sunday school when it comes to profanity.
Yup, and who can forget this classic scene from "The Wire"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM
Old 12-02-09, 03:33 PM

I agree with the group that think it's ok as long as it fits the situation. I will give an example.

I recently watch the Tony Scott movie True Romance again. It has a bunch of cursing and while it is excessive, it doesn't take away from the movie.

I also watched another Tony Scott film The Taking of Pelham 1.2.3. and thought the cursing was outrageous. Travolta especially sounded like a kid in junior high trying to sound tough. While it would be realistic for a hostage taker to use the f word excessively, it just felt out of place and made a poor movie (imo) even worse.
Old 12-02-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

British Films set in the Blue Collar or Seedy settings often have more "Fucks" then most American films.
Old 12-02-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by slabinskia
I also watched another Tony Scott film The Taking of Pelham 1.2.3. and thought the cursing was outrageous. Travolta especially sounded like a kid in junior high trying to sound tough. While it would be realistic for a hostage taker to use the f word excessively, it just felt out of place and made a poor movie (imo) even worse.
Lol, i thought that was the only entertaining part of the movie. I think that's the character Travolta was playing, he wasn't a career criminal, it was his first time committing a violent crime. Just how i interpreted it.
Old 12-02-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, John Malkovich's multiple variations on "what-the-fuck" in Burn After Reading were great.
Old 12-02-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand it's realistic, but I think profanity is powerful, and I think it loses its power, if it's used over and over, over the course of an entire runtime. Like I said though, I don't mind it, in crime/gangster/cop movies.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 12-02-09 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Profanity in fucking movies

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
One thing I've noticed these days, unless it's a crime/gangster/cop movie, it's kind of annoying when movies have f words repeated over and over. It doesn't ruin the movie for me at all or anything, it's just kind of annoying. It feels like a gimmick. It also loses its power. In crime/gangster/cop movies, it doesn't feel like a gimmick, and doesn't seem to lose its power.

Am I the only one?
The word fuck is part of the american vocabulary.
Old 12-02-09, 07:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't cussing care about all this cussing nonsense. Cuss!
Old 12-02-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes, a lot of profanity fits the character...

(Not a movie, I know, but still a good reason to post her pic )
Old 12-02-09, 10:18 PM
Banned

I recently watched Burn After Reading and just felt like it was excessive.
Old 12-02-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my ex-fiance on our first date to see Superman Returns and The Departed double feature at the Drive-In. I expected the language in The Departed to be on par with a Scorcese film but my ex was totally offended. I had to take her home because she didn't want to hear it or do anything else after that.
Old 12-03-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ And you later proposed to her?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.