Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Yorker's "Best of the Decade"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes, I know these best of lists are subjective. But it's always fun to watch everyone's reactions. But this list has to be the worst ever. Number #8 being the biggest head scratcher. And while I enjoyed it, it's puzzling so many other great and landmark movies aren't even mentioned.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...printable=true
Old 12-01-09, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The New Yorker's "Best of the Decade"

#8?!?! What the fuck??

Clearly Groucho wrote that list, as The Dark Knight is nowhere to be found on it.
Old 12-01-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Obviously titled towards people who go to watch cinema. Those who watch films will scoff. MOVIE fans will be outraged.

Although I can't argue with The Darjeeling Limited. I'd put that in my Top 10 for the decade too.
Old 12-01-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Dear God, what a pretentious list. And even only having seen well fewer than half of those, #8 was hardly my biggest "WTF??" on the list.
Old 12-01-09, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Obviously titled towards people who go to watch cinema. Those who watch films will scoff. MOVIE fans will be outraged.

Although I can't argue with The Darjeeling Limited. I'd put that in my Top 10 for the decade too.
I watch cinema and feel that the list is really, really bad. The Darjeeling Limited is a horrible film and not even close to The Royal Tenenbaums, which should be on the list. City of God, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Lives of Others, Mar Adentro, Amores Perros, Spirited Away, Ratatouille and A Very Long Engagement should be on that list. Also, Knocked Up is good, but certainly not Apatow's best.
Old 12-01-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23
I watch cinema and feel that the list is really, really bad. The Darjeeling Limited is a horrible film and not even close to The Royal Tenenbaums, which should be on the list. City of God, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Lives of Others, Mar Adentro, Amores Perros, Spirited Away, Ratatouille and A Very Long Engagement should be on that list. Also, Knocked Up is good, but certainly not Apatow's best.
I love Anderson's films but "Tennebaums" is at the bottom of his list for me. "Darjeeling", on the other hand, I found incredibly touching, challenging, and rewarding. I loved that movie. Different strokes.

I'd put Eternal Sunshine and The Lives of Others on or near my top 10, definitely top 20. "Spirited Away" is Miyazaki's most overpraised work; he's done MUCH better. I liked "Knocked Up" a lot but Top 10 of the decade? REALLY? Give me the absurdist humor of "Anchorman" any day.
Old 12-01-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

No City of God, list is moot
Old 12-01-09, 09:33 PM
Banned by request

Tenenbaums is at the bottom of your list? Really? That would easily be Bottle Rocket for me.
Old 12-01-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Tenenbaums is at the bottom of your list? Really? That would easily be Bottle Rocket for me.
Yeah I liked it but I didn't love it, for some reason. There was some disconnect there, I didn't fall in love with its world, themes, and characters the same way I did with "Rushmore", "Darjeeling", and "Life Aquatic".

I really enjoyed "Bottle Rocket" quite a bit. I haven't seen it in awhile but I remember loving the holy Hannah of it the first time I saw it, with a more muted (but warm) response the second (and last) time.

And I've yet to see "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". The way things look, I better hurry.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 12-01-09 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

I liked Mr. Fox more than Darjeeling, but then Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic are my two favorite films of his, so take that as you will.
Old 12-01-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speak of the devil, Anderson is on Charlie Rose right now!
Old 12-01-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to comment and express my outrage but having seen only three on that list (of 26!) I'm afraid I'd just sound like an idiot.

I will say that Darjeeling is my favorite Anderson film.
Old 12-01-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Agree with all the films you mentioned. I'm not sure I could pick just 10 from the decade because there were so many great movies IMO. But where the hell are: "Cache", "Pan's Labyrinth", "The Pianist", "Amelie", "The Departed", "Kill Bill Vol. 1", "No Country For Old Men", "In Bruges", "Brokeback Mountain", "Ghost World", "Donnie Darko", "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". OK, so some/most of those would probably only make MY list. But at least you've heard of most of them
Old 12-01-09, 09:51 PM
Banned by request

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen! Halloween II! Terminator: Salvation!
Old 12-01-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best of the Decade, Take Four
Posted by Richard Brody

You don’t know your list until you’ve seen it published; maybe the reason for putting mine out yesterday with the “unfriendly” number (as they say in elementary-school math) of twenty-six films is that it awaited four friends to round it out, and there are four films that I find I miss from it as I’d miss friends. Familiarity breeds, if not contempt, then casualness, and sometimes it’s works that are among the most affecting that get shoved aside in the dialectics and the polemics.

The first, in a foreshadowing, will rank high among my movie experiences of 2009: James Gray’s “Two Lovers,” which I discussed in a video clip a few weeks ago and which remains as potent as when I saw it at the beginning of the year. Another ranked high in my list for last year: “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” by David Fincher, who there put digital technology to turn F. Scott Fitzgerald’s slender fantasy into grand-scale melodrama. Jared Hess’s “Napoleon Dynamite,” from 2004, was a remarkable début; its sweetness and loopy humor—as well as its peculiar cultural isolation—suggested an exceptional sensibility, which “Nacho Libre” and “Gentlemen Broncos” have expressed even more profoundly and extravagantly, but Napoleon’s dance is still a moment of exquisitely mixed emotions. Then there’s another documentary, which may be the movie I’ve talked about the most this decade, because of the vast political scope its subject embraces: “Terror’s Advocate,” Barbet Schroeder’s biographical view of the French attorney Jacques Vergčs, a story that involves far-left and far-right, freedom fighters and tyrants, liberal republics and their enemies and, in the process, makes surprising connections and traces the evolution, or, perhaps, the devolution of ideas and ideals.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...take-four.html
Old 12-01-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Man, that is a pretentious list! And it's exactly what I would expect from "The New Yorker".
Old 12-01-09, 10:33 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Benjamin Button? Napoleon Dynamite? Fuck that shit.
Old 12-01-09, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pretentious Jackass wrote
Jared Hess’s “Napoleon Dynamite,” from 2004, was a remarkable début; its sweetness and loopy humor—as well as its peculiar cultural isolation—suggested an exceptional sensibility, which “Nacho Libre” and “Gentlemen Broncos” have expressed even more profoundly and extravagantly

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...#ixzz0YVF6rG30
With that line, it went from pretentious to Armond White territory of saying that shitty movies are great while great movies are shitty.
Old 12-01-09, 10:41 PM
Banned by request

Nacho Libre and Napoleon Dynamite are definitely in my worst of the decade list. Jared Hess should not be allowed anywhere near a camera.
Old 12-01-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow so much name-dropping and 'best ____ of the last 20 years' going on in that article. that he puts darjeeling limited and knocked up among those obscure titles, is almost a joke.

Old 12-02-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Pretty pretentious. I like Time Out NY's list a tad better, even if it is less "prestigious"

Their list:
Spoiler:
50. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
49. Man Push Cart (2005)
48. Donnie Darko (2001)
47. 25th Hour (2002)
46. Tuning Gate (2002)
45. Talk to Her (2002)
44. Syndromes and a Century (2006)
43. Silent Light (2007)
42. Head-On (2004)
41. Grizzly Man (2005)
40. Five Dedicated to Ozu (2003)
39. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
38. Cache (2005)
37. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
36. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
35. Miami Vice (2006)
24. Lilya 4-Ever (2002)
33. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007)
32. Eureka (2000)
31. AI: Artificial Intelligence (2001)
30. Children of Men (2006)
29. Songs from the Second Floor (2000)
28. Before Sunset (2004)
27. Oldboy (2003)
26. Kings and Queen (2004)
25. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
24. I Heart Huckabees (2004)
23. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
22. Synecdoche, New York (2008)
21. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
20. The Mad Songs of Fernanda Hussein (2001)
19. I'm Not There (2007)
18. Femme Fatale (2002)
17. Gosford Park (2001)
16. Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
15. Domestic Violence (2001)
14. Trouble Every Day (2001)
13. Inland Empire (2006)
12. American Psycho (2000)
11. Spirited Away (2001)
10. Friday Night (2002)
9. A Christmas Tale (2008)
8. Zodiac (2007)
7. Dogville (2003)
6. Yi Yi (2000)
5. In the Mood for Love (2000)
4. The New World (2005)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
2. There Will Be Blood (2007)
1. Mulholland Drive (2001)

Note - Mulholland Drive is my favorite movie of the decade, which may make me bias toward the rest of the list
Old 12-02-09, 01:46 AM

Not only is this list for lovers of cinema, it's a list of films that got a single screen (invitation only) run in New York City for less than a week.
Legions of film critics have been fired in the last couple of years and this stuck-up a**hole keeps his job?
Old 12-02-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I have to wonder: Was this list composed to reflect a critic's genuine evaluation of motion pictures released in the last decade, or is this pandering to his audience? I think it may be that both are true, and reflect the sort of ivory tower isolation that breeds contempt from non-critics. There is a suggestion of self-awareness if this is the case, as witness the inclusion of Knocked Up.

As I read this list, I could envision a Family Guy parody in which a critic is brainstorming his "Best of the Decade" list and resolves to fill it exclusively with the most obscure titles he can recall. Throughout this, though, he's watching Knocked Up and erroneously places it on the list. The next day, he sheepishly laughs it off as a joke to his coworkers, while secretly desiring to eschew his pretentiousness in favor of such "common" flicks.
Old 12-02-09, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While Brody doesn't seem to be the type of critic I'd read very often, I don't really see how this list makes him a "stuck-up asshole" anymore than having a list consisting almost entirely of mainstream Hollywood fare makes one a "film ignoramus" (or whatever.) He is writing to his audience, but he doesn't seem to have the arrogance and condescension of an Armond White. It is quite within the realm of possibility that these mostly obscure films are actually his favorites of the decade. The left-field choices like "Knocked Up" and "Napoleon Dynamite" only make it seem more likely that this is actually a list of personal favorites rather than just a list of "obscure" movies thrown together to look sophisticated.

Anyways - I've heard of eighteen of the films on his list and have seen seven of them, three of which ("L'enfant", "The Darjeeling Limited", "Saraband") will figure highly in my "best of decade" list.

And I do like the Time Out list that RichC2 a lot more - and not just because I've heard of all of the films.
Old 12-02-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

God, I feel so ignorant. Don't know half those movies on the list. I'm going to go post in the Jackass 3-D thread................

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.