Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever-increasing choice and the modern blockbuster

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ever-increasing choice and the modern blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ever-increasing choice and the modern blockbuster

I agree with the bolded statement above.

I seek out smaller, more obscure movies, and I was still disappointed by a number of them. I've gotten to a point where I feel like there's only 1 or 2 really good movies a year. It's much easier for someone to say Transformers 2 is great, where I say nothing is great. The more I see, the more disappointed I become.
Old 12-02-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
This paragraph bothered me the most. They're basing this notion solely on an analysis of Netflix reviews.
If your tastes are so far out of the mainstream, then your opinion doesn't help create a working model on how people as a whole behave in regards to blockbuster movies.
Old 12-02-09, 09:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But the point is that people who watch more obscure films are often less satisfied than those that watch blockbusters. If the only data point is Netflix ratings, how is that an accurate depiction, if you presume that a lot of people who watch more obscure titles don't use Netflix?
Old 12-07-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This paragraph bothered me the most. They're basing this notion solely on an analysis of Netflix reviews.
One problem with using Netflix for this article is that a film with zero votes is given a score of 2 1/2 stars, and it takes a lot of votes to move the user score one way or another. In other words, very obscure movies often have a mediocre rating simply because not enough people have rated them.
Old 12-08-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They find that blockbusters get better ratings from the people who have watched them than more obscure ones do. Even the critically loathed “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” is awarded four stars out of five.

Revenge of the Fallen is rated just a shade over two stars on Netflix. And most of the posted reviews rate it one star.
Old 12-08-09, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide

Revenge of the Fallen is rated just a shade over two stars on Netflix. And most of the posted reviews rate it one star.
That's probably the rating they show you based on your reviews of other movies. Here's what it looks like for me:

It's rated 3.8/5 overall, but the 1/5 is a guess as to what I would rate it based on my other ratings.
Old 12-08-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

This paragraph bothered me the most. They're basing this notion solely on an analysis of Netflix reviews. It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that maybe those of us who get the most pleasure out of the obscure films we've discovered don't even bother to go on Netflix. Netflix doesn't have the stuff I want, so why would I even go on that site to provide reviews? How do you measure the tastes and critical responses of those of us who function entirely outside of that system? I buy DVDs in Chinatown and I order others from CDJapan and YesAsia. And I even review stuff on CDJapan. But occasionally, I see Hollywood blockbusters in theaters. So I belong in that study in some way, but their criteria for research rules out any viable way of tabulating my responses to the mainstream releases I see and the obscure ones I purchase.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are your tastes if Netflix doesn't have anything that would interest you?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
But the point is that people who watch more obscure films are often less satisfied than those that watch blockbusters. If the only data point is Netflix ratings, how is that an accurate depiction, if you presume that a lot of people who watch more obscure titles don't use Netflix?
I'm not saying Netflix should be the sole measure, but a big reason I use Netflix is because I can get more obscure titles that I wouldn't be able to get at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, which are unfortunately the only real rental choices where I live. For that matter, not everyone lives near a Chinatown where they can go pick up imports or have easy access to them. I think that's a big reason for Netflix's success.
Old 12-08-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

This paragraph bothered me the most. They're basing this notion solely on an analysis of Netflix reviews. It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that maybe those of us who get the most pleasure out of the obscure films we've discovered don't even bother to go on Netflix. Netflix doesn't have the stuff I want, so why would I even go on that site to provide reviews? How do you measure the tastes and critical responses of those of us who function entirely outside of that system? I buy DVDs in Chinatown and I order others from CDJapan and YesAsia. And I even review stuff on CDJapan. But occasionally, I see Hollywood blockbusters in theaters. So I belong in that study in some way, but their criteria for research rules out any viable way of tabulating my responses to the mainstream releases I see and the obscure ones I purchase.
Hey hipster.
Old 12-09-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm not saying Netflix should be the sole measure, but a big reason I use Netflix is because I can get more obscure titles that I wouldn't be able to get at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, which are unfortunately the only real rental choices where I live. For that matter, not everyone lives near a Chinatown where they can go pick up imports or have easy access to them.
You do realize you can buy movies online, as well as rent them? You don't need to live near a Chinatown to get Chinese imports.

That said, Netflix does have a good variety of films, but whether or not it has a lot of obscure titles depends on how you define "obscure." Netflix isn't likely to have anything that wasn't released in the US by a major distributor.
Old 12-09-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
... The more I see, the more disappointed I become.
Could that be due to unrealistic expectations, maybe?
Old 12-10-09, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Netflix has a huge amount of obscure/foreign/independent DVDs...I am surprised people can't find anything they want to rent there.
Old 12-10-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greencine.com is much better than netflix for renting obscure stuff.
Old 12-10-09, 08:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Netflix has a huge amount of obscure/foreign/independent DVDs...I am surprised people can't find anything they want to rent there.
Agreed. It's all Region 1, so you won't find everything available in the world, but there's a ton there.
Old 12-10-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Agreed. It's all Region 1, so you won't find everything available in the world, but there's a ton there.
Most of the DVDs I watch/buy are R2 and R3.
Old 12-10-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

European R2, or Japan R2, or both?
Old 12-10-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
European R2, or Japan R2, or both?
Japan
Old 12-10-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newest theatre in Omaha has variable pricing (not in the sense that The Bus is talking about though). There are 5 screens at the theatre. There are 2 levels of seating for each screen. The lowest level (and closest to the screen) is the cheapest (at $7 for matinees, cheap is not the best word to use). The upper level is $1 more per ticket, but you have access to the food service. Waiters will bring you food on dishes and drinks in glasses. The 5th screen has 2 different levels of seating, with the lower level being the food service. The upper level is $5 more than the middle ticket, but you get a $5 food voucher to use on booze or concessions. You also get access to the "VIP" lounge w/ bar. All seats are assigned and all three levels have increasingly nicer seating.
Old 12-10-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

So you are a perfect example of the niche consumer that's mentioned in the article.
Old 12-10-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
So you are a perfect example of the niche consumer that's mentioned in the article.
I think that was his point. The article refers to the tastes of niche consumers, but then uses Netflix's catalog for reference, which doesn't have the obscure titles that niche consumers watch.
Old 12-12-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Than you might as well say it's the top 20 movies since 1977.

Screw you if you care about movies before that as they don't matter.
It's just that the world in 1939 and 1997 were so different, making comparisons in grosses very difficult. Hell, times have changed a lot from 1997 to 2009. Think of a world without Facebook!

In 1939, TV was in the fetus stage of its life cycle and PCs were non-existent. The radio and phonograph were the only forms of technological entertainment in the home. Of course people would flock to their local movie theatres since the choices were so much more limited back then.

I notice that in both lists, both unadjusted and adjusted, the vast majority of the top movies of all time are escapist fare, often set in different time periods with plenty of fantasy, sci-fi, animation, and otherworldy settings. The biggest movies serve as an escape from the mundane nature of our everyday lives and audiences will flock to those the most.
Old 12-12-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I see Supr done already covered that.
What I think you meant to say was "I see Supr already done did it."