Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11/22

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11/22

Old 11-26-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I

In my honest opinion, it's worse than say a shit film like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which really does nothing for society. You and I can have a back and forth conversation about Michael Bay being a hack or how John Turturro was part of the film to get a paycheck. The only damage done is we get a shitty third film, whoop de do. With Twilight and New Moon, it's setting back women's rights at least twenty or thirty years. The stories are not progression for women as the core is about a suppressed teenage girl who is selfish, narcissistic and can't decide what she wants so she starts obsessing over a vampire and causes harm to herself --- and women eat this shit up. Really? This is a story that you want to claim ownership on? All right. Well, I'll keep my Jane Austin or Emily Bronte novels if I want to read a romance novel for women by women and the socially awkward and inept women who think their place is in the home can keep their Twilight books.

Thank you for summing up my biggest problem with this whole 'phenomenon'. Compare this to the old 'Beauty & the Beast' tv show from the early 90's. Same soppy romance, same female fan base getting all damp over Vincent. The biggest difference is that the female lead was a successful working woman, with goals and dreams that went beyond being the love slave of some idealized perfect man. In other words, she could think for herself.

Damn I miss that show.

Maybe its unfair, but older Twilight fans remind me of those women who send love letters to imprisoned serial killers.
Old 11-26-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 1

Originally Posted by dan30oly
If New Moon beats out TF2 for #1 grossing pic of the year (domestic - the only numbers that count), then humanity is doomed.

I hope you never work for any organization that engages in global transactions (like, say, the movie business).
Old 11-26-09, 12:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 1

I still don't get all the hate for TF2. By far the best movie theater experience I had all year.
Only the shitfest that was Halloween II was worse for me this year. If that was the best movie experience you had all year, I weep for you.
Old 11-26-09, 01:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The whole idea that the Twilight films are setting back women's rights is pretty fucking sexist if you ask me, and completely laughable. No one ever says anything about some popular, ultraviolent movie setting back men.
Old 11-26-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
The whole idea that the Twilight films are setting back women's rights is pretty fucking sexist if you ask me, and completely laughable. No one ever says anything about some popular, ultraviolent movie setting back men.
I'd say both TWILIGHT and TRANSFORMERS 2 play hardcore into gender stereotypes.

The same guy who will decry TWILIGHT as mindless swill will defend the most retarded action spectacle on Earth, claiming "it's just a popcorn flick" and it's "what's wrong with turning your brain off and just being entertained", etc. etc, then list it on his ten best of the decade.

FWIW the biggest TWILIGHT fan I know graduated the top of her class at business school, works her own business as a financial advisor, easily clears $300k a year, is better looking than your wife/girlfriend, and so is HER girlfriend. I call that evolution or total proof of God's existence. Maybe both.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 11-26-09 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 02:14 PM
Banned by request

I just assume men can't be set back any farther than we already are.
Old 11-26-09, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ditto. I mean...men through pretty much all of history (though..women rights onward which is very little and women haven't fucked up society like men have yet...) yeah...we've done some good but I'll be damned if a man didn't commit the worst of crimes to society.
Old 11-26-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Ditto. I mean...men through pretty much all of history (though..women rights onward which is very little and women haven't fucked up society like men have yet...) yeah...we've done some good but I'll be damned if a man didn't commit the worst of crimes to society.
And just what good have women contributed to society over men???

Did a woman discover fire? Did a woman invent the wheel? Did a woman invent the lightbulb???

I think not!

I put forth the argument that women are more to blame then men for the worst crimes in society as being enablers of our outrageous behavior!

For example: I am sure it is a womans fault for the awfulness of The Watchmen!
Old 11-26-09, 05:01 PM
Banned by request

Old 11-26-09, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I..I actually liked that post by him....haha.
Old 11-26-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did a woman discover fire? Did a woman invent the wheel? Did a woman invent the lightbulb???
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!!
Old 11-26-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!!
Germans?
Forget it, he's rolling.
Old 11-27-09, 12:53 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Then why even care what women do or don't do, like or dislike, since clearly we have no right to judge either way. Sounds counterproductive.
Old 11-27-09, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

NeW MoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Old 11-27-09, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Then why even care what women do or don't do, like or dislike, since clearly we have no right to judge either way. Sounds counterproductive.
It was a joke.
Old 11-27-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
NeW MoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Old 11-28-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
FWIW the biggest TWILIGHT fan I know graduated the top of her class at business school, works her own business as a financial advisor, easily clears $300k a year, is better looking than your wife/girlfriend, and so is HER girlfriend. I call that evolution or total proof of God's existence. Maybe both.
So, a hot, smart, successful lesbian who won't have children, meaning the best genes will not get passed on, is a sign of evolution?
Old 11-28-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
So, a hot, smart, successful lesbian who won't have children, meaning the best genes will not get passed on, is a sign of evolution?
It. Was. A. Joke. (playing into male horndog stereotypes)
Old 11-30-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
To bad Lord of the Rings fan's havn't realized this already.
Lord of The Rings movies are awesome, and still awesome upon rewatch.