DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Humanity is Saved--The Dark Knight's record is safe: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/565121-humanity-saved-dark-knights-record-safe-weekend-box-office-11-20-11-22-a.html)

FantasticVSDoom 11-21-09 02:37 PM

Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9847040)
It's pretty funny. You guys flock to shitty action and horror movies and cheer when they make money. Then somebody makes a popular movie for somebody outside your demographic and you flip out.

:up: Now I guess I have to see New Moon just for another nail in the coffin...

Ash Ketchum 11-21-09 02:43 PM

Re: Humanity Is Dead - New Moon Breaks Midnight Record: Weekend Box Office 11/20 - 11

I think a lot of the TWILIGHT-bashing is based on the simple fact that we perceive the TWILIGHT fans to be somewhat brainwashed, more of a cult than a fanbase. If a Harry Potter film does a poor job, the Harry Potter fans will say so (I think). If a Batman film is saddled with the wrong director (Joel Schumacher, anyone?), Batman fans won't slavishly praise it. But if a TWILIGHT film is bad, the fanatics will still go in droves and not seem to care. It's like the people who go to church once a week and question certain church doctrinal positions versus the evangelicals who are out there every day proselytizing and handing out literature. My co-worker's daughter is a TWILIGHT fanatic who says she wants a vampire as a boyfriend so he'll take care of her. A little bit removed from reality, don't you think? Such behavior does tend to invite ridicule.

Hokeyboy 11-21-09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9848418)
I think a lot of the TWILIGHT-bashing is based on the simple fact that we perceive the TWILIGHT fans to be somewhat brainwashed, more of a cult than a fanbase.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20..._300x369,0.jpghttp://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/therem...5/trekkies.jpghttp://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u...spiderman3.jpg

If a Harry Potter film does a poor job, the Harry Potter fans will say so (I think). If a Batman film is saddled with the wrong director (Joel Schumacher, anyone?), Batman fans won't slavishly praise it. But if a TWILIGHT film is bad, the fanatics will still go in droves and not seem to care.
There have only been two TWILIGHT movies... Give 'em time. And there are still people praising, say, X-Men 3 or Wolverine or the Star Wars prequels.

It's like the people who go to church once a week and question certain church doctrinal positions versus the evangelicals who are out there every day proselytizing and handing out literature.
:confused:

My co-worker's daughter is a TWILIGHT fanatic who says she wants a vampire as a boyfriend so he'll take care of her. A little bit removed from reality, don't you think? Such behavior does tend to invite ridicule.
And yet people have gotten married in Klingon ceremonies... Grown adults, mind you.

Hokeyboy 11-21-09 02:58 PM

BTW Fat Secret Wars Spider-Man rules.

Matthew Chmiel 11-21-09 03:06 PM

Can't we stop trashing New Moon for three seconds and start trashing the fact that Sandra Bullock's new movie has a huge shot at making more than $100 million? ;)

islandclaws 11-21-09 03:09 PM

^ Yea, but from reviews it might actually deserve it.

Kal-El 11-21-09 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc (Post 9848242)
It's always funny to see what movies are "approved" by the posters on the net and what aren't.

I was thinking the same way when I got my tickets on Thursday night for this morning's showing. There were blankets all over the ground with people waiting in line. It was kinda weird being on the "other" side of the fandom on this one.

Charlie Goose 11-21-09 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9848453)
Can't we stop trashing New Moon for three seconds and start trashing the fact that Sandra Bullock's new movie has a huge shot at making more than $100 million? ;)

Why? Is that big black fella a sallyboy vampire?

Matthew Chmiel 11-21-09 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 9848478)
Why? Is that big black fella a sallyboy vampire?

Is that the twist in the film's last five minutes where he's revealed he's not the product of the environment he grew up in, but instead just a vampire who sparkles in sunlight? I can just imagine the Saw theme playing when this is revealed to Bullock and her family as they're attacked and fade to black. ;)

Supermallet 11-21-09 04:57 PM

While this may not be indicative of every other theater, the late shows at my theater did not sell out last night, and talking to one of the other managers, matinee shows are not selling much today. The Friday->Saturday drop might be a little surprising on this one.

Ash Ketchum 11-21-09 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9848443)
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20..._300x369,0.jpghttp://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/therem...5/trekkies.jpghttp://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u...spiderman3.jpg

There have only been two TWILIGHT movies... Give 'em time. And there are still people praising, say, X-Men 3 or Wolverine or the Star Wars prequels.

:confused:

And yet people have gotten married in Klingon ceremonies... Grown adults, mind you.

Hokeyboy, you hang out in way too many places I don't. Some things I just didn't want to know or see! :blush:
(BTW, check out the VHS collection that fat Spiderman has...seems to be a lot of those big Disney clamshell cases. But what's that series on the second shelf from the bottom? Doesn't look familiar. Anyone?)

gmanca 11-21-09 06:27 PM

Looks like the Shirley Temple Collection by the 20th Century Fox Label. No, I don't personally know.

RyoHazuki 11-21-09 06:32 PM

Planet 51 got killed. How the hell did they spend $60 mil on that thing?

Kurt D 11-21-09 06:33 PM

I mean, if Taylor Lautner was actually hot or something, but he's kinda weird looking.

More to the point: 90% of DVD Talk is boys. You see what I'm saying.

RyoHazuki 11-21-09 06:45 PM

I think it's probably closer to 95%. It's a frickin brodeo in here.

Ranger 11-21-09 11:30 PM

Wow, $72 million in one day.

The local news interviewed a bunch of peppy girls yesterday about the movie.

I don't have a problem with the success.

xage 11-21-09 11:45 PM

Summit Pictures is banking in huge amount here!!!!

Supermallet 11-22-09 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9848590)
While this may not be indicative of every other theater, the late shows at my theater did not sell out last night, and talking to one of the other managers, matinee shows are not selling much today. The Friday->Saturday drop might be a little surprising on this one.

To keep up with the anecdotal evidence, last night I had to add several shows to keep up with the demand for Twilight. Now the shows are barely managing to sell out.

Finisher 11-22-09 01:04 AM

43 million Saturday, 140 million weekend, according to Nikki Finke.

superdeluxe 11-22-09 01:37 AM

43 million which would make it sub-40% drop, and defeat the notion that NM is the most front-loaded movie of all time.

Although a bo guru who hits many times is saying 55 million, and people are wondering if Nikki is being conservative, because she was off by 8 million yesterday (She predicted 80 million OD)

superdeluxe 11-22-09 01:40 AM

BO guru twitter:

Source tells me tonight that New Moon's SAT is tracking on par with Dark Knight & Spider-Man 3's SAT. More records to fall!
OW might be in jeopardy.

Supermallet 11-22-09 02:41 AM

Man, if the movie did $50 million, I'd like to know at which theaters. Mine was considerably slower than last night, and I'm in the heart of Los Angeles.

Lateralus 11-22-09 07:49 AM

Wow, 72 million on the first day; that is pretty impressive. I just don't see why people are flocking to a movie where one of the lead characters is a 200 year old pedophile that hangs out with high school kids.

riotinmyskull 11-22-09 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus (Post 9849227)
Wow, 72 million on the first day; that is pretty impressive. I just don't see why people are flocking to a movie where one of the lead characters is a 200 year old pedophile that hangs out with high school kids.

and the chick is either into necrophilia or beastiality

Sean O'Hara 11-22-09 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9849164)
Man, if the movie did $50 million, I'd like to know at which theaters. Mine was considerably slower than last night, and I'm in the heart of Los Angeles.

How were the matinees? Given the target audience, it seems afternoon and early evening showings would do better-than-average business.