Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Titanic (1997): Cameron's unfair depiction of 1st Officer William Murdoch *spoilers*

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Titanic (1997): Cameron's unfair depiction of 1st Officer William Murdoch *spoilers*

Old 11-17-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Titanic (1997): Cameron's unfair depiction of 1st Officer William Murdoch *spoile

Has Buttmuncher always been this insane or is this just lately?
Old 11-18-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Titanic (1997): Cameron's unfair depiction of 1st Officer William Murdoch *spoile

I'm still angry that the fat guy with the red beard didn't beat the old lady with both fists until she coughed up that fucking diamond.
Old 11-18-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by auto View Post
Has Buttmuncher always been this insane or is this just lately?
I don't know.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ight-live.html
Old 11-18-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It also bothers me that Fifth Officer Lowe isn't properly identified as the officer who goes back for survivors. All these years, I thought it was Second Officer Lightoller. And I even knew Lightoller wasn't in a lifeboat, but trying to survive on an overturned collapsable boat! Goes to show how much I pay attention.
Old 11-18-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by pjflyer View Post
My friends and I call a double murder/suicide "Pulling a Murdoch."
You win the prize!
Old 11-18-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Titanic was based on a true story? Hrmph.
Old 11-18-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is pure gold!!
Old 11-18-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like those Columbine kids copied The Matrix, Chris Benoit copied Murdoch.
Old 11-18-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Titanic (1997)

...oh, that Titanic!
Old 11-18-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I have seen Titanic a hand full of times and I have no idea who Officer William Murdoch is, who portrayed him in the movie, or even remember a murder/suicide scene in the flick.
He was one of the ship's officers helping to get people on the lifeboats and when the passengers started rushing for the boats, the officer pulled out his gun to try and control the situation and then shot a couple of people to the horror of those around him, and then put the gun to his head and shot himself.
Old 11-18-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
He was one of the ship's officers helping to get people on the lifeboats and when the passengers started rushing for the boats, the officer pulled out his gun to try and control the situation and then shot a couple of people to the horror of those around him, and then put the gun to his head and shot himself.
I don't remember that scene either. The only one I recall running around with a gun was Billy Zane. And he didn't play a ship's officer. Although who the hell knows, but I might have missed that when I went to the bathroom because of the film's length. (Normally I can sit through a three-hour-+ movie without a bathroom break, but there was something about TITANIC and LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING that made me have to go to the bathroom.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-18-09 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-18-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I don't remember that scene either. The only one I recall running around with a gun was Billy Zane. And he didn't play a ship's officer. Although who the hell knows, but I might have missed that when I went to the bathroom because of the film's length. (Normally I can sit through a three-hour-+ movie without a bathroom break, but there was something about TITANIC and LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING that made me have to go to the bathroom.)
I think it was all the water. (Not sure about ROTK though)
Old 11-19-09, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I don't remember that scene either. The only one I recall running around with a gun was Billy Zane. And he didn't play a ship's officer.
Billy Zane's character in the movie offered said officer some money just so he could get a seat on one of the lifeboats.

I'm pretty sure someone else will remember the officer with the gun.

It's been a couple of years since I saw this movie, and I have the 3 hour director's cut of it!
Old 11-19-09, 06:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I remember the scene, but did not know the officer's name. I always assumed it was a fictional embellishment of the story anyway.

However, now that people complaining about it have made me aware of Murdoch's name, I, too, will always refer to a double murder/suicide as "pulling a Murdoch."
Old 11-19-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
I'm still angry that the fat guy with the red beard didn't beat the old lady with both fists until she coughed up that fucking diamond.
But Harry Knowles is still alive and he actually could sue James Cameron over his portrayal.
Old 11-20-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This thread is hillarious. Is 26 years too late for me to mention that I resent the way The Right Stuff portrayed astronaut Gus Grissom?
Old 11-20-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Any time I need to laugh, I just think of "pulling a Murdoch" and I'm there.
Old 11-20-09, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
This thread is hillarious. Is 26 years too late for me to mention that I resent the way The Right Stuff portrayed astronaut Gus Grissom?
And I'm resentful of the fact that William Petersen STOLE the name "Grissom" for his character on CSI. It's a damn disgrace I tells ya!!!
Old 12-09-09, 09:27 PM

Old 12-11-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Murdock is accused in the film of a lot more than just shooting two passengers and himself: he sank the damn Titanic with his flippant decision to "hard astarboard!"

His work wasn't through, because after he survived both the sinking and the gunshot blast to the face, he defected and became a German submarine captain, and sank the Britannic a few years later during WWI.
Old 12-11-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My friends and I call a German sub sinking an Allied ship, "Pulling a Murdoch."
Fixed.
Old 12-11-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Instead of starting another thread about Titanic, I'll just post something here:

Several survivors of the sinking committed suicide later on: "Iceberg, right ahead!" shouted lookout Frederick Fleet. He killed himself years later (for reasons I have forgotten).

Another prominent survivor, 17-year old Jack Thayer, shot himself in the head in the 1940's after finding out his son was killed during WWII.

Not a suicide, but Archibald Gracie died due to complications from the sinking towards the tail-end of 1912.
Old 12-11-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Instead of starting another thread about Titanic, I'll just post something here:

Several survivors of the sinking committed suicide later on: "Iceberg, right ahead!" shouted lookout Frederick Fleet. He killed himself years later (for reasons I have forgotten).
According to wikipedia:

When Fleet's wife died shortly after Christmas 1964, he became depressed and committed suicide by hanging two weeks later in January 1965. Many have said that in many ways, Fleet was also the last victim of Titanic. People who knew him said that he suffered from terrible guilt all his life because he had lived while so many perished. Out of 2,227 passengers and crew on Titanic, he was one of only 706 who survived.
Old 12-11-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fleet did live a full live then. He was in his 70s (or whatever age he was when Titanic sank + 53 years) when he killed himself.
Old 12-11-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Fleet did live a full live then. He was in his 70s (or whatever age he was when Titanic sank + 53 years) when he killed himself.
At least he did the honorable thing and only take himself out, unlike that douchebag loser Murdoch.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.