DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Actors you're not sure about (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/564833-actors-youre-not-sure-about.html)

Yeti4623 11-15-09 02:47 PM

Actors you're not sure about

Who are some actors you're not sure are good or not? One that comes to mind is C. Thomas Howell. I honestly can't tell if this guy is really bad, or just really real acting.

TGM 11-15-09 03:59 PM

Re: Actors you're not sure about

Val Kilmer.

http://media.herald-dispatch.com/blo...mer-742605.jpg

He absolutely owned "Tombstone" and "Real Genius", but he's also given some real shit performances in many a shit movie.

Boba Fett 11-15-09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9837226)
Val Kilmer.

http://media.herald-dispatch.com/blo...mer-742605.jpg

He absolutely owned "Tombstone" and "Real Genius", but he's also given some real shit performances in many a shit movie.

I think Val Kilmer is lazy. He phones it in when it's obvious the film is garbage.

However, when he's in a good film, he's outstanding:

Like you mentioned "Tombstone" and "Real Genius"

Don't forget:
Heat
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Spartan
Willow
The Doors
Ghost in the Darkness

JumpCutz 11-15-09 04:35 PM

This guy since about 1999.

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/ma/...ro_1890865.jpg

tylergfoster 11-15-09 04:47 PM

Peter Sarsgaard

tofu 11-15-09 05:07 PM

Brad Pitt. He seems to be the same guy in every single movie.

Sessa17 11-15-09 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tofu (Post 9837392)
Brad Pitt. He seems to be the same guy in every single movie.

:thumbsup: Except I'm sure about him, so he doesn't fit for this thread. He just sucks (Inglorious Basterds excluded).

I'd say Clive Owen is the perfect example for me. I want to love the guy, but man he picks some shitty movies.

Ash Ketchum 11-15-09 08:29 PM

Brad Pitt (INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS included!). The only thing I really liked him in was OCEAN'S 11, and only because I thought he worked well with Clooney and that the two should have made a western.

Johnny Depp. I had such high hopes for him in PUBLIC ENEMIES, given that he struck me as the absolute best choice to play Dillinger among current actors, and he wound up doing a poor job, although I think it may have been a case of the director not doing his job well enough and saddling him with a badly cast leading lady. But when I think back to past Depp performances, all I can think of as any good was ED WOOD, but even there, Depp didn't even begin to capture the quirkiness and eccentricities of the real Wood. Was it a case of the actor simply not being able to go far enough or the director holding him back?

Tom Hanks. The only performance of his I was impressed with was SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. But give me a break with CASTAWAY, FORREST GUMP, PHILADELPHIA, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and...what else is he famous for these days? Oh, yeah, THE TERMINAL, a horrible movie and one of the worst leading actor performances of the last 20 years. Don't get me started.

Hokeyboy 11-15-09 08:48 PM

No one else could have pulled off JOE VS. THE VOLCANO except Tom Hanks.

Also: Mark Wahlberg. Here is a guy who was SO outstanding in "The Departed" and "Boogie Nights", and an ABSOLUTE PIECE OF SHIT IN EVERYTHING ELSE. I'm not talking just OK, decent, whatever, I mean a FUCKING AWFUL ACTOR. I guess abs can take you far in this world.

RyoHazuki 11-15-09 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9837821)
Also: Mark Wahlberg. Here is a guy who was SO outstanding in "The Departed" and "Boogie Nights", and an ABSOLUTE PIECE OF SHIT IN EVERYTHING ELSE. I'm not talking just OK, decent, whatever, I mean a FUCKING AWFUL ACTOR. I guess abs can take you far in this world.

Sarcasm?

planetaire 11-15-09 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9837456)
I'd say Clive Owen is the perfect example for me. I want to love the guy, but man he picks some shitty movies.

First name I thought of upon seeing the thread title. Though no wanting for man love.

Numanoid 11-15-09 11:23 PM

Have you guys that said Brad Pitt seen Kalifornia. Like nothing he's done since.

Rad14 11-16-09 12:35 PM

Viggo Mortensen
Clive Owen

2 of the blandest, nondescript actors I've ever seen.

jeffbase34 11-16-09 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rad14 (Post 9838791)
Viggo Mortensen
Clive Owen

More bland than Paul Walker?

Sessa17 11-16-09 03:59 PM

Viggo Mortensen

Couldn't disagree more on Viggo. He is brilliant in Eastern Promises. Should have won the Oscar that year for it.

Hokeyboy 11-16-09 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9839178)
Couldn't disagree more on Viggo. He is brilliant in Eastern Promises. Should have won the Oscar that year for it.

A great performance, but also an exception. Why does he insist on mumbling all his lines? :( He's like the anti-Pacino...

Hokeyboy 11-16-09 04:04 PM

Viggo Mortensen
Clive Owen

I used to like Owen quite a bit, but I've come to realize he's exactly the same in every role I've ever seen. Mannered, intense, and garbling like he's got a mouth full of nuts.

Giles 11-16-09 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9838835)

is THAT even possible... ;)

TGM 11-16-09 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9838835)

more bland than Bill Pullman?

jmu878 11-16-09 06:54 PM

whats with the hate on pitt? c'mon the guy has a reeal respectable resume...

fight club
snatch
seven
inglourious basters

to just name a few....

GreenVulture 11-16-09 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9839188)
A great performance, but also an exception. Why does he insist on mumbling all his lines? :(

Hey now, Heath Ledger did the all-mumbling thing in Brokeback Mountain and critics were falling all over themselves calling it the greatest performance of Ledger's career. Which I guess makes sense, since he has a pretty mediocre filmography, and mediocre performances to match.

Originally Posted by jmu878
whats with the hate on pitt? c'mon the guy has a reeal respectable resume...

That doesn't mean he's good in them. Do I have to explain my Brad Pitt Theory again?

Rad14 11-17-09 09:08 AM

I don't watch any Paul Walker movies so I can't comment on him, and I haven't seen Eastern Promises so I can't comment there either (I gave up watching Viggo years ago!).

Sorry but I consider both Viggo Mortensen and Clive Owen to be overrated. You can throw in Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale into that category too. All of them are the same in every movie IMHO, bland, wooden and nondescript. And these are major players too, starring in some of the biggest movies over recent years!!

notkevinbacon 11-17-09 09:37 AM

I am starting to have some serious doubts about Christian Bale, Rescue Dawn wasn't bad, but disappointing for a Herzog movie and I think The Prestige is brilliant.... other than that, he hasn't been great in anything as of recent.

Also, Casey Affleck... his career is still relatively young (at least as a leading man). Really though, he was perfectly cast in Assassination of JJ and moderately successful in Gone Baby Gone, but I'm not sure he has a range beyond what I've seen so far.

I lost hope in Ed Norton a long time ago.

And finally, I want to defend Wahlberg's performances in Three Kings and I Heart Huckabee's (a flawed movie sure, but his part really played to his strengths and I thought he was quite good).

Viggo is pretty great all around.

islandclaws 11-17-09 10:52 AM

Tobey Maguire, although I think I'm pretty sure he just sucks.

Rad14 11-17-09 12:07 PM

I almost forgot, Hugh Jackman. Wooden and bland also!