DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Worst Movie - documentary about Troll 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/564821-best-worst-movie-documentary-about-troll-2-a.html)

Greg MacGuffin 11-15-09 10:39 AM

Best Worst Movie - documentary about Troll 2

Saw this at the Denver Film Festival the other night. It's directed by the kid who played Joshua in Troll 2, who was in attendance along with George Hardy, who played the dad. They did a Q&A after the movie. Very entertaining flick. It has a lot of funny parts, but parts of it are kind of sad and painful. Definitely recommend checking this out if you get the chance.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVoSkPoGyE8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVoSkPoGyE8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

asianxcore 11-15-09 02:01 PM

Re: Best Worst Movie - documentary about Troll 2

Looks fun. I'll definitely have to seek it out if it plays in my area.

The Antipodean 11-15-09 03:36 PM

I saw this earlier this year at a film fest and highly recommend it, and believe it or not I've never seen Troll 2. But it works just as a movie about life on the fringes of movie-making, and as a look at "cult" status. It's very funny and sweet-natured and a heck of a documentary.

Boba Fett 11-15-09 03:43 PM

Someone bring me up to speed as to when Troll 2 suddenly became the 'worst film of all time.'

Adam Tyner 11-15-09 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 9837197)
Someone bring me up to speed as to when Troll 2 suddenly became the 'worst film of all time.'

Five years, maybe? I've been kind of obsessed with the movie forever (first caught it on HBO in 1994, maybe?), it's one of the only movies I remember renting on VHS repeatedly, and it's among just a couple of videos I still watched after diving into DVD. It definitely had a cult following before the DVD release, but it was after that DVD (and probably clips starting to make the rounds on YouTube?) that it really exploded.

The people calling it "the worst" mostly seem to be the actors behind it, though. :) I think it's more of a hooky title than a genuine sentiment.

NoirFan 11-15-09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 9837626)
I think it's more of a hooky title than a genuine sentiment.

Still, it's pretty damn bad. I also had no idea there was such a cult following for the film until I went to a screening a couple of years ago. It was truly surreal to be surrounded by rabid fans shouting entire scenes of dialog back at the screen, as if we were watching Rocky Horror or something. The dad and the son from the film were both there, and I chatted with the son a bit while standing in line. He was a friendly guy, and enthusiastically took part in our drunken mocking of the film. Plus, I won a Troll 2 t-shirt!

Adam Tyner 11-15-09 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9837679)
Still, it's pretty damn bad.

...but in a way that makes it a ridiculous amount of fun. I mean, as inept as Troll 2 is in pretty much every way possible, it never eases up on the throttle. Just when you think you've seen the most deliriously stupid thing ever, the movie'll one-up itself two and a half minutes later.

I'd think the "worst movie ever" would be something that's just insufferably, intolerably, unwatchably boring. Troll 2 is a lot of things, but boring it ain't. :)

Kevin M. Dean 11-15-09 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 9837696)
I'd think the "worst movie ever" would be something that's just insufferably, intolerably, unwatchably boring. Troll 2 is a lot of things, but boring it ain't. :)

That's why it's not the "worst movie ever", it's the "best worst movie".

Adam Tyner 11-15-09 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean (Post 9837744)
That's why it's not the "worst movie ever", it's the "best worst movie".

You're preaching to the choir.

Gerry P. 11-16-09 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop (Post 9836619)
Saw this at the Denver Film Festival the other night. It's directed by the kid who played Joshua in Troll 2, who was in attendance along with George Hardy, who played the dad. They did a Q&A after the movie. Very entertaining flick. It has a lot of funny parts, but parts of it are kind of sad and painful. Definitely recommend checking this out if you get the chance.

I watched it at the same festival on Satuday. Out of the 8 movies I've seen so far, this is the best. Genuinely funny with real insight into the hopes and dreams of ordinary average Americans.

JackBurton 11-16-09 08:00 AM

For those who have attended screenings, was there any talk of this film being released on DVD? Unfotunately, I missed the screening at the AFI Silver.

I'm also dying to see "The Shark is Still Working" - hope that gets a DVD relesase as well.

Adam Tyner 11-16-09 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JackBurton (Post 9838312)
was there any talk of this film being released on DVD?

Last I heard is Spring/Summer '10.

Giles 11-16-09 10:21 AM

For those who have attended screenings, was there any talk of this film being released on DVD? Unfotunately, I missed the screening at the AFI Silver.

I'm also dying to see "The Shark is Still Working" - hope that gets a DVD relesase as well.

at the AFI Silver first screening of the film they doubled billed with an actually showing of 'Troll 2'

a friend of mine saw 'The Shark is Still Working' and he raves about it - everyone involved with the filming of 'Jaws' is in the documentary... I've got to see this!!!

JackBurton 11-16-09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 9838461)
Last I heard is Spring/Summer '10.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Giles
at the AFI Silver first screening of the film they doubled billed with an actually showing of 'Troll 2'

Yeah, since we moved all the way out to Woodbridge, its hard to make it out to the AFI without advanced planning. I would have loved to have been there for this though.

Originally Posted by Giles
a friend of mine saw 'The Shark is Still Working' and he raves about it - everyone involved with the filming of 'Jaws' is in the documentary... I've got to see this!!!

I'm hoping that it is somehow included on a Jaws BD release, but I would instantly buy a standalone DVD, in anycase. I've heard great things.

JackBurton 07-08-10 07:35 AM

For those who have attended screenings, was there any talk of this film being released on DVD? Unfotunately, I missed the screening at the AFI Silver

Well, I was finally able to catch this at the Landmark theater in DC. I enjoyed the hell out of it - highly recommended! We met George Hardy before the screening and he also did a Q&A after the film. He said there was over 400 minutes of footage shot, so a lot of stuff will make it to the DVD as supplements. However, the film is likely to have a theatrical run in Canada, so a DVD release might not be happening for a while.