Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Source Code - New Duncan Jones film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Source Code - New Duncan Jones film

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Source Code - New Duncan Jones film

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Saw this tonight at a screening in Seattle with Duncan Jones. Thoroughly enjoyed Moon, but this was only all right. At 93 minutes it moves by way too quickly. I would have definitely liked to see another iteration of the scene, to give us a little more to go with, and also because it seemed like he deduced who the bomber was way to quickly.

At times it did basically feel like a long Twilight Zone episode, not that that's necessarily a bad thing (and afterwards, Jones said that was actually intentional). He also mentioned how the original script had been pretty dead on serious, like a sci-fi 24. He injected some humorous lines into it, which did work out to be pretty entertaining and did not detract from the pace.

The final act seems glued on rather strange, just something disjointed about how we arrived there, which might end up leaving a weird taste in some mouths
That's funny, I was at the same screening.
Old 03-22-11, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much looking forward to this one. The premise is very nice and I like the cast. I just hope it's executed well.
Old 03-22-11, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying it's bad. I like most of Jake G...howeveryouspellit's movies. But they didn't even try to be even a little bit original. This movie is the same as Deja Vu, Next, 12 Monkeys, and to a certain extent, Butterfly Effect. I've said it before a lot of places ; I don't mind movies using recycled plots. You can't avoid it. There's only so many stories to tell. But if you're going to make a movie that has been made a dozen times before, PLEASE try to make it a little original. Change the characters around and make the good guy not the one you'd normally expect from a certain type of story.
Old 03-30-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well so far this has a 91% on rottentomatoes.com, and Richard Roeper called it the best movie of the year so far.
Old 03-30-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's hilarious... best movie of the year? Hardly. I've written my review -- look for it in a few days.

EDIT: Whoops! It's up now: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/48964/source-code/

Last edited by GenPion; 03-30-11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
That's hilarious... best movie of the year? Hardly. I've written my review -- look for it in a few days.

EDIT: Whoops! It's up now: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/48964/source-code/
Is it really hard to believe that he thought this was the best movie of the first 3 months of 2011?
Old 03-31-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I know Rotten Tomatoes isnt always the best measure but as far as widely released movies, it's rated pretty highly.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/be....php?year=2011

Certainly doesn't seem out of the question that it's been one of the best so far this year (and yikes, there's been a lot of crap)
Old 04-01-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Is it really hard to believe that he thought this was the best movie of the first 3 months of 2011?
The O seems to agree: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/49012/source-code/
Old 04-01-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thing is getting pretty much rave reviews all over.

I wouldn't have guessed it, but I'm glad because I think Duncan may be a new talent on the directing scene, and a hit like this will do wonders for his career.
Old 04-01-11, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i really enjoyed it. It felt alot like groundhogs day. And it was sci/fi and a very complex idea but it never felt slow or confusing
Old 04-01-11, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well '12:01 PM' is a brilliant theme, and there's lots of room for films beside 'Groundhog Day'(a remake of '12:01 PM') to deal with/build on it.

If you care to watch the original. Great performance from Kurtwood Smith
Old 04-01-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
At times it did basically feel like a long Twilight Zone episode
at least Jones is consistant
Old 04-01-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this tonight. I knew absolutely nothing about it going exct it stared Jake Gyllenhal, was directed by Jones, and somehow involved a train. I must say I enjoyed it thoroughly. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I thought it was a thoroughly original execution of the concept. I can understand comparisons do DejaVu, but this was much better and more interesting to me.

I agree it may have been a bit too short, but thinking about it I'm really not sure how much it could have been developed without making it uneccesarily dense. I wish they would have avoided the 'fate' stuff from the final 5 minutes of the film. This was one aspect that felt underdeveloped and almost tacked on aside from the hints in the transition scenes. Some more narrative during the film would have helped ground it.

Still, a very strong sophomore effort from Duncan Jones, and he's 2 for 2 in my opinion. I look forward to his future work.
Old 04-01-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Scott Bakula providing the voice of his father was a nice nod to Quantum Leap fans.
Old 04-02-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a tagline of "Groundhog Day meets Quantum Leap", director Duncan Jones's next effort is "Source Code". Jake Gyllenhaal is Colter Stevens, a military helicopter pilot involved in the Source Code project, which somehow allows Colter to go back and relive the last 8 minutes of someone's life before they died, and this happened on a train heading for Chicago, but the train explodes on the outskirts of town. The project is tasked with trying to find the bomber through the source code simulations that Colter undergoes repeatedly through the , but through each iteration, he is able to piece information quicker and more effectively. Michelle Monaghan plays Christina, the train passenger that Colter is directly involved with, though at a burgeoning point in their acquaintance.

The film itself is pretty entertaining through most of its running time, but the ending is a head-scratcher, almost too optimistic for my tastes. I was taken by the divergent paths each iteration into the source code, it seemed almost too much of a reach within the confines of such simulations, but it's a movie, and I went with it willingly.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-02-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was great. Extremely well executed story, lightning fast pace and a great performance by Gyllenhaal. Jones handled it with just the right amount of style to not overwhelm the story and the supporting work from Monaghan and Farmiga was great. Some movies, even when paced well, can FEEL long. This thing went by in a flash. I couldn't believe it was wrapping up so soon - that 90 minutes felt like 60, which is a good thing. I think there is enough layers/substance here that it'll hold up on multiple viewings. A very simple and straight forward movie about some larger more complex themes/ideas. One of the best of 2011 so far IMO.
Old 04-03-11, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I don't think the trailers do the film justice, so if you are holding back from seeing it based on that, I would still give it a shot. The premise is, of course, pretty far fetched, but if you can buy into it, it's a hell of a ride. Really glad that Jones is not a one-hit wonder, and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever he does next.
Old 04-03-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I don't think the trailers do the film justice, so if you are holding back from seeing it based on that, I would still give it a shot. The premise is, of course, pretty far fetched, but if you can buy into it, it's a hell of a ride. Really glad that Jones is not a one-hit wonder, and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever he does next.
I agree with this. I thought the trailers looked meh and had no interest in seeing it at all. I am glad I gave it a chance, based on the top critics reviews and on finding out it was from the director of Moon.

I really enjoyed the movie on all possible levels. Jake was really impressive and really filled the movie with heart. I am looking forward to seeing it again and will be definitely getting the blu ray.
Old 04-03-11, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, but not particularly great. Maybe I was just tired catching a 10 PM showing, but I never thought the drama became as tense as it could have. I enjoyed the mystery of the bomber and all the reveals of Jake's reality though.

One quick thought about the end thought -

Spoiler:
So what happens to the real Sean then since Jake's character takes over?
Old 04-03-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I thought it was pretty good, but not particularly great. Maybe I was just tired catching a 10 PM showing, but I never thought the drama became as tense as it could have. I enjoyed the mystery of the bomber and all the reveals of Jake's reality though.

Spoiler:
My guess is
Spoiler:
he ceases to exist. Jake takes over his body, and Sean ends up being the only casualty from the train crash in that alternate reality. HOWEVER, he really did die in that train crash to begin with, Jake just happened to save everyone else in the alternate reality, so in a way, it's not some terrible thing. The guy dies just as he would have if Jake hadn't been involved, and he doesn't get saved by Jake. His family never knows that he's gone because Jake continues living in his body. HOWEVER -- this would lead to some very odd circumstances for Jake where he now has to take over this guy's life and pretend to know all of his family members and stuff. Could make for some sort of wacky comedy.

Sucks for the guy whose body it was, but it was 1 life in exchange for everyone else's in the alternate reality. That's how I interpreted it.
Old 04-03-11, 08:21 PM

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Heh. I asked that same question after the ending. Apparently Colter has set up house permanently in Sean's body. I guess poor ol' Sean had to take one for the team and have his mind wiped out of this universe.
Old 04-03-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler:
It's pretty simple;
Spoiler:
Sean Fentress is dead, and now, so is Colter. When Colter is terminated in the real world (while in the source code), he hallucinates the "perfect rescue" and lives an imagined life with Christina.
Old 04-03-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
It's pretty simple;
Spoiler:
Sean Fentress is dead, and now, so is Colter. When Colter is terminated in the real world (while in the source code), he hallucinates the "perfect rescue" and lives an imagined life with Christina.
There is no spoon.
Old 04-04-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Well '12:01 PM' is a brilliant theme, and there's lots of room for films beside 'Groundhog Day'(a remake of '12:01 PM') to deal with/build on it.

If you care to watch the original. Great performance from Kurtwood Smith
The short is great. I have it on a Region 2 DVD that I got from England. Also quite good is the Fox Network TV movie, 12:01, based on the same Richard Lupoff short story, 12:01 PM. Ironically, it came out the same year as Groundhog Day (1993) and people wrongly accused it of ripping off Groundhog Day.

Richard Lupoff had a different opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12:01_%281993_film%29

According to Richard Lupoff: "A brilliant young filmmaker named Jonathan Heap made a superb 30-minute version of my short story 12:01 PM. It was an Oscar nominee in 1990, and was later adapted (very loosely) into a two-hour Fox movie called 12:01. The story was also adapted -- actually plagiarized -- into a major theatrical film in 1993. Jonathan Heap and I were outraged and tried very hard to go after the rascals who had robbed us, but alas, the Hollywood establishment closed ranks. We were no Art Buchwald. After half a year of lawyers' conferences and emotional stress, we agreed to put the matter behind us and get on with our lives."
Both Lupoff and Heap were co-writers for the TV movie. It was directed by Jack Sholder (The Hidden). Total running time is 92 minutes (two hour TV movie minus commercials).

The TV film expanded the story and based it on a repeating day rather than a repeating hour, added some humor but still was mostly a Sci-Fi thriller. In my opinion it is far superior to Groundhog Day which I think is way overrated. It's one of my all-time favorite TV movies.

http://www.amazon.com/12-01-Helen-Sl...1891739&sr=1-1

Oh yeah, and I loved Source Code.
Old 04-04-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Enjoyed this quite a bit, as the plot reminded me of Primer. I think Primer does a better job with the science (and the ethical issues of time travel), but Source Code is more of a sci-fi thriller. Originally, I thought the ending was too much, as
Spoiler:
I think it should have ended on his "perfect moment"

but DonnachaOne's interpretation makes it all the more interesting.

I'd give it a 3 out of 4.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.