Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is Ben Stiller the most underrated comedian in Hollywood?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why is Ben Stiller the most underrated comedian in Hollywood?

Old 02-02-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavyweights isn't a fantastic film, but he's pretty damn funny in that. And his little suppporting role in Happy Gilmore is hilarious too.
Old 02-02-03, 03:32 PM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean come on my name's not Stab Boy. (Yeah I know Stiller didn't say that.)
Old 02-02-03, 08:58 PM

i think the Cable Guy is one of the most underrated comedies ever. people were expecting Jim Carry to act exactly like Ace Ventura. and the Cable Guy is actually a pretty dark comedy with some social commentary.
Old 04-13-04, 01:09 PM

I haven't seen this many banned members in one place since my vacation to Burley, Idaho!
Old 04-13-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They souped up the sig. lines!
Old 04-13-04, 02:32 PM
Banned

Ben Stiller aint funny...now his pops Jerry is funny as shit! Man...that guys a comic genius!
Old 04-13-04, 07:17 PM
Banned

Ben Stiller's bumbling idiot/romantically inept schtick is old. Owen Wilson's sarcastic surfer-dude schtick is getting there.
Old 04-13-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, BS is pretty hit or miss... funny as heck brawling with a dog in SAM, but very cringe-o-riffic in his dance scene in Along Came Polly.

Jack Black ownz him in every way.

j
Old 04-13-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing special,I use to like him during the Something About Mary days but he plays the same freakin role in everyone of his movie's,I hated his last 2 movies and will probably not go to his movies any more unless it gets praise.
Old 03-05-05, 06:34 PM
Banned

Ben Stiller To Make 'Tropic Thunder'

Ben Stiller has announced two new projects that should see him continue to rule the comedy roost for the foreseeable future.

After a hugely successful 2004, when the smash hits 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Dodgeball' cancelled out duds like 'Envy', 'Our House' and 'Along Came Polly', it looks like the seemingly omnipresent funnyman is all set to have a similarly successful 2005.

This week his production company Red Hour announced plans to make two new comedies in the near future, with Stiller starring in both and possibly even directing.

The first to roll before cameras will probably be 'Tropic Thunder', a high concept comedy that Stiller has been developing ever since he worked on 'Empire of the Sun' way back in 1987.

'What started out as a comedy about the hardship of actors having to reintegrate into society after taking the two week Dale Dye boot camp and filming a war movie has turned into a comedy about five actors who go on location and find themselves relying on their boot camp experiences when they get stuck in a real war-like situation' Stiller told Variety.

The other project is the intriguingly titled 'CivilWarLand in Bad Decline', a labour of love that has also long been in development.

Based on a George Saunders novella, it tells the tale of a downtrodden administrator who unwittingly employs a contract killer to stop gangs who are terrorising the visitors to his civil war theme park, and should Stiller star, we're guessing it'll give him yet another opportunity to do his tried and tested angry man schtick.

And with the sure-fire hit 'Meet the Fockers' coming out at the end of next month, it seems that, much like 2004, barely a week will go by in 2005 when a Ben Stiller comedy doesn't get released.
Old 03-05-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Ben Stiller To Make 'Tropic Thunder'

Ben Stiller has announced two new projects that should see him continue to rule the comedy roost for the foreseeable future.

After a hugely successful 2004, when the smash hits 'Starsky and Hutch' and 'Dodgeball' cancelled out duds like 'Envy', 'Our House' and 'Along Came Polly', it looks like the seemingly omnipresent funnyman is all set to have a similarly successful 2005.
Didn't Along Came Polly do really well at the box office? His only missteps in the last 2 years have been Envy and Duplex(which I'm assuming is what "Our House" is referring to since I've never heard of that movie).
Old 03-05-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Alright, i know we say "use the search feature!' all the time, but did that news really have to go in this 5 year old thread that is basically an unrelated topic on Ben Stiller?
Old 03-05-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slow Hands

Along Came Polly was certainly not a dud ($90 mil in the U.S. alone, grossing as much as Starsky but costing a lot less to make), but the other two listed qualify as such.
Old 03-05-05, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Didn't Along Came Polly do really well at the box office? His only missteps in the last 2 years have been Envy and Duplex(which I'm assuming is what "Our House" is referring to since I've never heard of that movie).
This is from British paper so "Duplex" is "Our House." I just thought that war movie sounded interesting. The thing with Ben Stiller is he does choose somewhat interesting roles for the most part.
Old 03-05-05, 06:51 PM
Banned

Holy shit this thread is five years ago. I didn't look at the date. I thought it would be fairly recent since he did like eight movies in the past year.
Old 03-06-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mystery Men is great. Saw it at the theater on release and we watch it on DVD every so often. Got a bad rap IMO. It is, however, an ensemble piece, not a Stiller showcase.
Old 03-07-05, 12:16 AM

How come Slow Hands just got banned within the past couple days, I tried finding some offensive post from him but couldn't. He seemed like a nice chap.
Old 03-07-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm afraid of posting in this thread, for fear I might be banned one day.

Also, nice to see Jack's writing skills have improved over the years!
Old 03-07-05, 02:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by The Ferret
How come Slow Hands just got banned within the past couple days, I tried finding some offensive post from him but couldn't. He seemed like a nice chap.
maybe his posts regarding the underage girl he fooled around with? i really don't know. we were posting back and forth in another thread and poof! no more.
Old 03-16-05, 05:34 AM
Banned

Because his jew! lol joking , his great in meet the parents and fuckers hehehe out!
Old 03-16-05, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mafia187
Because his jew! lol joking , his great in meet the parents and fuckers hehehe out!
Is this actually considered English language?

Anyway, Ben Stiller isn't funny or particularly versatile. The faux-rage thing he has going gets old REAL fast
Old 03-16-05, 12:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by vedderstapp
Anyway, Ben Stiller isn't funny or particularly versatile. The faux-rage thing he has going gets old REAL fast
I disagree.
Old 03-16-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to despise him before he made Something about Mary and Zoolander. Now I love seeing his work.
Old 03-16-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BizRodian
Also, nice to see Jack's writing skills have improved over the years!
ZING! ::
Old 03-16-05, 03:46 PM
Banned

Removed racist comments by banned member. -Blake

Last edited by Blake; 03-17-05 at 10:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.