Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Th

I've heard from several detractors of the film that Mo'nique's amazing performance is likely little more than her imitating what she grew up with as she was a victim of abuse herself and has said it wasn't hard to put herself into the shoes of the abuser.
Old 01-14-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Th

Boba Fett -- off topic, but is that Black Dynamite in your avatar pic? is it a film worth seeking out or did you just like the moustache and stylish gun?
Old 01-14-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hardercore
Boba Fett -- off topic, but is that Black Dynamite in your avatar pic? is it a film worth seeking out or did you just like the moustache and stylish gun?
That is indeed Black Dynamite. The movie was my #3 movie of 2009; so good I saw it twice in less than a week.
Old 01-14-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Good flick but I felt the "fantasy" sequences were a bit too jarring. Didn't love it, but good. Mo'nique, acting out her past or not, did a fantastic job.
Old 01-15-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I've heard from several detractors of the film that Mo'nique's amazing performance is likely little more than her imitating what she grew up with as she was a victim of abuse herself and has said it wasn't hard to put herself into the shoes of the abuser.
What a stupid argument those people are putting up. So what? Don't most actors "imitate" something that has gone on in their lives? Or look back on a certain point in their lives for inspiration?
Old 01-15-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
What a stupid argument those people are putting up. So what? Don't most actors "imitate" something that has gone on in their lives? Or look back on a certain point in their lives for inspiration?
Agreed! Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler, Courtney Love in People v Larry Flynt. Heck, they guy who played Oher in The Blind Side was homeless right before he got the part.

Doesn't make any of their performances any easier. It's probably even harder for them to have to re-live their past problems. Makes them all that much better.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 01-15-10 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-15-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But a true actor is someone who has never had problems in the past. It's not fair for an actor with a history of past problems to do dramatic roles because they can just bring up their inner demons with a snap of their finger. It's not fair to an actor who's never had problems, especially if that actor wants to win an Oscar.
Old 01-15-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
That is indeed Black Dynamite. The movie was my #3 movie of 2009; so good I saw it twice in less than a week.
Black Dynamite made my top 10 for 2009 as well. Fun movie.

Most people who are dismissive of actors with baggage probably don't understand the logistics to making movies, and how it's lot of sitting around, stop-go, sit. But when the director says "Action!" you had better be on your game and prepared to bring your "A" game. because film cost money and if you can't hit performance level needed, you are burning money for the production.
Old 02-23-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

Saw this late last night and I got a question:

I could've swore there was a caption at the beginning of the movie saying that this took place in 1987. But the clothing & song choices made it look very contemporary. The only hint I got from it being the 80's was the 25,000 Pyramid show.

So does this movie really take place in the 80s? Or was it just there to suggest an event (Precious' being born, perhaps?)
Old 02-23-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Barry Lyndon: Based on the novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackerey.

Directed by Sta'nley Kubrick.
Old 02-23-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Saw this late last night and I got a question:

I could've swore there was a caption at the beginning of the movie saying that this took place in 1987. But the clothing & song choices made it look very contemporary. The only hint I got from it being the 80's was the 25,000 Pyramid show.
It takes place in the 1980s. Note the lack of cellphones and whatnot.

As for the clothes, well, it's all come back now, and looking over the soundtrack, most of them seem to be old songs to me. I don't remember when they play the Blige or Ne-Yo songs, honestly.
Old 02-23-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Barry Lyndon: Based on the novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackerey.

Directed by Sta'nley Kubrick.
pfft... try Stan'Ku
Old 02-23-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Any fleeting chance I had of possibly seeing this is gone because of the extremely obnoxious title. Yeah I'm petty like that.
Old 02-23-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
It takes place in the 1980s. Note the lack of cellphones and whatnot.

As for the clothes, well, it's all come back now, and looking over the soundtrack, most of them seem to be old songs to me. I don't remember when they play the Blige or Ne-Yo songs, honestly.
Actually I just remembered how it must've been the 80's:

Spoiler:
How they referred to Aids as "The Aids Virus" as if it was something just recently discovered

(But back to the trendy subject) None of the tunes rang a bell to me and the song that plays when Precious steals the food sounded way too explicit to be heard in '87. And from a fashion standpoint, only the classmate, Jan (I think that was her name) had a proper look with the big hair & the big glasses.

If you look at the trivia for this movie at IMDB (Which also explains the genesis of the controversial title) I guess the troubled production was forced to cut back on making this look like it was decades old. But even the early scenes in Notorious (Which took place in the 80's) didn't exactly "Take me back" with the slang and clothing. It's like these urban movies aren't even trying to replicate these eras at all.

Oh, and if it hasn't been rubbed in your face by now, Monique is amazing in this.
Old 02-23-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stand by Me: based on the short novella The Body by Stephen King
starring River Phoe'nix
Old 02-23-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I remember reading last year when the trailer first came out that Helen Mirren was supposed to be in the movie, but pulled out. Her part went to Mariah. Strange trade-off.
Old 02-24-10, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Stand by Me: based on the short novella The Body by Stephen King
starring River Phoe'nix
We could go all day.

Raging Bull: based on the memoir 'Raging Bull: My Story.' by Jake La'Mo.
starring Robert De'ro.

Though, jake never dropped no' TV on no'body.
Old 02-24-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Mo'Nique got a BAFTA for her Supporting Role.
Old 03-22-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife and I watched this over the weekend, and we were both a bit disappointed. I think it could have done without the sexual abuse/incest storyline. The struggles of this young woman without good parental input/supervision was more than enough for a compelling storyline. Adding the incest kind of took it into the "these problems do not widely apply" realm.
Old 03-22-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

All I can think of now is Fresh-Ass: Based on the Novel 'Tush' by Assfire. Thanks 30 Rock.
Old 03-22-10, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
But a true actor is someone who has never had problems in the past. It's not fair for an actor with a history of past problems to do dramatic roles because they can just bring up their inner demons with a snap of their finger. It's not fair to an actor who's never had problems, especially if that actor wants to win an Oscar.
It's not that easy. =| It just makes the role much more personal to them.
Old 03-23-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Godfather: Based on the novel The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Starring Mar'lon
Old 03-23-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bralph
My wife and I watched this over the weekend, and we were both a bit disappointed. I think it could have done without the sexual abuse/incest storyline. The struggles of this young woman without good parental input/supervision was more than enough for a compelling storyline. Adding the incest kind of took it into the "these problems do not widely apply" realm.
Seriously?
Old 03-24-10, 01:11 PM

I thought that this movie was good, not great.

The acting, however, was great...pretty much across the board. Even Mariah Carey didn't do a bad job
Old 03-24-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Reminds me of when they were shooting MARATHON MAN and Dustin Hoffman played a guy who jogged every day. So when doing a scene where he's supposed to be coming back from jogging, he actually jogged for a few blocks before doing the scene. Hoffman's co-star, the great Laurence Olivier, looked at him aghast and said, "Why don't you just act it?'