Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Make or Break Moments in Movies:good and bad

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-29-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Since the "Impressive Moments" thread went over well, I thought I would try something similar but different. Just about every movie I see has a sequence or scene where I either think: "man, this is gonna be good" or "dude, this is gonna suck big time." Granted, as mentioned in the last thread a movie can have a part that stands out and makes you think it's going to rock, but doesn't. Therefore, I only ask that you list scenes from movies you know you like/hate.

Like:

LOTR-FOTR - While many might think it was the opening sequence, I didn't get completely sold until it showed Gandalf in the Shire. Everything looked exactly the way I had envisioned it in the books and I was smiling ear to ear.

T2-future battle. Really grips you and the movie sustains.

Pulp Fiction-the scene with Vincent and Jules in the car

Star Trek- young Kirk blasting the Beastie Boys

Dislike:

The World is Not Enough-Denise Richards as a Nuclear Scientist. I also have to say that the closing line of that film got the loudest collective groan I've ever heard from an audience.

Die Another Day-the moment they made the car invisible

Transformers 2- Jetfire's flaming fart
Old 10-29-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Make or Break Moments in Movies:good and bad

I'll give you that the last line in "The World is Not Enough" is terrible, worse than the "Re-entry" line from "Moonraker".

But the Denise Richards gripe is totally moot. I admit it is funny to think of her as a nuclear scientist, but people act like her being picked for looks was something new to the Bond franchise.
Old 10-29-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Like:

PUNISHER WAR ZONE (2008) - the scene in the asylum where they break out Looney Bin Jim, Jigsaw's brother. I knew this film would live up to its awesomeness when Jim embraces the now-disfigured/patched-up Jigsaw and tells him, with the utmost sincerity, "Billy, you look great!" I believed that Jim truly believed his brother looked great. So I was totally on board from that point on.

Dislike:

STAR TREK (2009) - that scene where the heroes from the Enterprise fly down (or drop down or fall down--I just remember them falling) from the ship to some structure on the planet where the Klingons or Romulans or whoever the hell the villains were are doing something that will do something bad to the planet. And Spock's mom is in danger. So three new guys including Kirk, Sulu and one "phaser-bait" dude drop down at high speed on a very dangerous mission to do something highly technical (I can't recall what it was) that none of them have had any training for! And the fate of the planet depends on it. That struck me as incredibly stupid and reckless, so I just turned off whatever lingering interest in the movie I might have had.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-29-09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
STAR TREK (2009) - that scene where the heroes from the Enterprise fly down (or drop down or fall down--I just remember them falling) from the ship to some structure on the planet where the Klingons or Romulans or whoever the hell the villains were are doing something that will do something bad to the planet. And Spock's mom is in danger. So three new guys including Kirk, Sulu and one "phaser-bait" dude drop down at high speed on a very dangerous mission to do something highly technical
You have eidetic memory my friend!
Old 10-29-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Like: Open Range the starting of the gun battle redeemed the movie for me, the horrible love story almost derailed the whole thing.

Dislike: 3:10 to Yuma (2007) the ending killed it for me.
Old 10-29-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad: War of the Worlds (2005) - The end when
Spoiler:
we see that Tom Cruise's son is still alive. I'm sorry but that little fuck died. And, with that, most of the film's credibility was lost. FWIW, though, I still think it's a damn fine film aside from that major blunder.
Old 10-29-09, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Bad: War of the Worlds (2005) - The end when
Spoiler:
we see that Tom Cruise's son is still alive. I'm sorry but that little fuck died. And, with that, most of the film's credibility was lost. FWIW, though, I still think it's a damn fine film aside from that major blunder.
I agree with you on that. Everything was fine, except maybe Fanning screaming too much..and that ending too.
Old 10-29-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last scene in the Last House on the Left remake cheapened the rest of the movie.

Last edited by dugan; 10-29-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
You have eidetic memory my friend!
Also, it warms my heart that you used the word eidetic
Old 10-29-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blade Runner: the opening shot hooked me

Alexander: Angelina Jolie's first scene where she started acting like the cartoon version of The Barnoness.
Old 10-30-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

STAR TREK (2009) - that scene where the heroes from the Enterprise fly down (or drop down or fall down--I just remember them falling) from the ship to some structure on the planet where the Klingons or Romulans or whoever the hell the villains were are doing something that will do something bad to the planet. And Spock's mom is in danger. So three new guys including Kirk, Sulu and one "phaser-bait" dude drop down at high speed on a very dangerous mission to do something highly technical (I can't recall what it was) that none of them have had any training for! And the fate of the planet depends on it. That struck me as incredibly stupid and reckless, so I just turned off whatever lingering interest in the movie I might have had.
So you've never seen an episode of the original series?
Old 10-30-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UAIOE
So you've never seen an episode of the original series?
The fact that he didn't even know the basics indicates he most likely wasn't a fan.
Old 10-30-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Dislike:

It wasn't blatantly clear, so it's on the fault of the filmmakers here, but the "phaser-bait" guy was Chief Engineer Olsen. Not exactly a "new" guy, he was supposed to be in charge of planting the explosives, Kirk and Sulu were basically the "muscle". The problem was Olsen was hot-dogging and didn't open his chute in time.

And yeah, it was pretty much right out of an original series ep, if they had ever had the budget for such a thing that is.
Old 10-30-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Moments:

Hard Boiled - Teahouse shootout.

Watchmen - The awesome opening titles.

V for Vendetta - V saves evey from thugs and blows up the Old Bailey.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly - The opening titles: I had always heard that classic theme in so many other tv shows and commercials but never knew where it came from until I watched this for the first time a few years ago. My jaw dropped.

Schindler's List - The orchestra playing Tango in the Restaurant and the extreme close up of Schindler's face as he observes an empty table reserved for the Nazi high command.

Bad moments:

Cutthroat Island - During the carriage chase, Morgan runs through a bunch of explosions and with the help of CGI just happens to land right in the seat of the carriage just as it passes by directly underneath her.

Lost World: Jurassic Park - Any scene with Ian Malcolm's "daughter".
Old 11-01-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The problem was Olsen was hot-dogging and didn't open his chute in time.
and that he was wearing a red shirt.
Old 11-02-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My girlfriend asked if the "red shirt" rule applied to TNG, I told her I don't believe it does.

Originally Posted by Robert
Lost World: Jurassic Park - Any scene with Ian Malcolm's "daughter".
I let quite a bit slide in this movie, but I still can't get over the "gymnastics kick".

I can just picture Spielberg saying "It's for the kids!" when trying to justify its inclusion.

But the T-rex adults attacking the trailer is still good stuff.