DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Impressive Moments in Lackluster Movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/563780-impressive-moments-lackluster-movies.html)

Boba Fett 10-26-09 11:13 PM

Re: Impressive Moments in Lackluster Movies

Superman's final act of power and ensuing fall in Superman Returns

I'd rank it as one of the best moments in comic book history, despite being in an otherwise bloated film.

Cardsfan111 10-26-09 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs (Post 9798455)
Clark Kent vs Bastard Superman in Superman III

Perfect answer to this topic. The movie fits the definition of lackluster, while this drawn out fight scene is classic.

Troy Stiffler 10-26-09 11:54 PM

The 'night vision' scene in the Rollerball remake. Not just a lackluster movie; it's a bad movie. But I really like that scene. Something about being on the run, cold, dark and alone and almost getting away.

Matthew Chmiel 10-27-09 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 9798874)
The 'night vision' scene in the Rollerball remake. Not just a lackluster movie; it's a bad movie. But I really like that scene. Something about being on the run, cold, dark and alone and almost getting away.

I'm sorry, but even that scene is laughable in that piece of shit.

My only memory of that film is seeing it in theaters and being nearly in tears with a buddy of mine when you hear that "ba-ba-ba-ba-boing" sound effect during that sequence. Not only is it played once, but twice. Amazing nonetheless.

Wazootyman 10-27-09 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9798601)
as most of this film was dog caca - I thought the opening battle and forest battle were impressive.

the dance party body bisection scene in Ghost Ship was very cool - the rest of the movie - meh!

I suppose it was impressive in that it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen put to film.

I'd add the first 15 min of Sky Captain. When it was Jude vs. Robots, it was awesome, but then it just got sillier and crappier as it went along.

Rockmjd23 10-27-09 01:30 AM

I agree with Ghost Ship. You can turn it off after that scene.

UAIOE 10-27-09 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 9798238)
The Maelstrom sequence in POTC: At Worlds End; just barely redeems the movie.

I wasn't particularly thrilled with the movie, but that part was really awesome.

Ships-to-ship fighting in a giant whirlpool, how can one hate that?

iggystar 10-27-09 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9798898)
I'm sorry, but even that scene is laughable in that piece of shit.

My only memory of that film is seeing it in theaters and being nearly in tears with a buddy of mine when you hear that "ba-ba-ba-ba-boing" sound effect during that sequence. Not only is it played once, but twice. Amazing nonetheless.

Did we go to that movie together, because that's the only thing I remember too! Me and my buddies sat there crying laughing at the ridiculousness of that sound effect. Epic awfulness.

Meglos 10-27-09 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs (Post 9798455)
Clark Kent vs Bastard Superman in Superman III

What I came into the thread to post.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XY3dxb5OpIw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XY3dxb5OpIw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dugan 10-27-09 08:54 AM

The first 15 minutes of Scream.

edstein 10-27-09 09:16 AM

Action movies are to easy. How about listing some drama, horror or comedy flicks?

Burgundy LaRue 10-27-09 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay (Post 9798774)
The explosion/hostage scene at the beginning of Swordfish was pretty cool, rest of the movie was pretty eh.

For me, the best part of that movie was the bus scene. Everything else was just there.

The explanation of how vampires came into existence in Dracula 2000 was a stand-out moment for me. The rest of the film is merely average.

Groucho 10-27-09 11:17 AM

Brad Pitt crosses the street in Meet Joe Black.

Dr. DVD 10-27-09 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9799332)
Action movies are to easy. How about listing some drama, horror or comedy flicks?

Eyes Wide Shut- the crazy rich person orgy was vintage Kubrick, the rest of the movie....

Hellraiser III- the Cenobites chasing Terry Farrell through the streets is cool because of all the neat creature designs

Heartbreak Kid- not that great of a movie, but the "honeymoon" scene with Malin Akerman was hilarious. "Jackhammer me!"

Draven 10-27-09 11:43 AM

I've got an obscure one for you all. There is a "Heavy Metal" type cartoon called Starchaser: The Legend of Orin that I liked as a kid. About 10 years ago I watched it again and realized that it is truly a bad film.

That said, there is one super-cool moment where this ship does this coolswooping turn:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2AHRENGVh9.../spship-sc.JPG

Let me see if I can paint a word picture here: The ship flies away from the camera, pivots straight up and then flips itself over and the back end swivels to be right-side up again. So basically the ship flips over without actually turning itself in a circle. I'm going to try to find the sequence on YouTube because it has stuck with me for years as the coolest part of that movie. Those nacelle-things move independently of each other too, which made for some neat turns and things like that. Way too cool of a design for this crappy flick.

TimeandTide 10-27-09 12:05 PM

Because I just saw this a couple days ago:

When the dragon sits atop the castle in Reign of Fire. Thought that was a pretty cool illustration of just how freakin' big the dragon was.

Thought Brotherhood of the Wolf was just OK, but loved the martial arts scene in the rain with a masked Mark Dacascos versus...some other dude.

maxfisher 10-27-09 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE (Post 9799024)
I wasn't particularly thrilled with the movie, but that part was really awesome.

Ships-to-ship fighting in a giant whirlpool, how can one hate that?

By throwing in a slapdash wedding between two main characters during the fight?

The Bus 10-27-09 12:30 PM

The car chase in Ronin. Actually most movies with really good car chase sequences are really dull.

islandclaws 10-27-09 01:00 PM

It's very minor, but I always loved the shot in AVP when the Alien Queen is trying to get at Sanaa Latham out on open ice, and we see a shot from her POV looking up at the Queen when the Predator flies into the shot and drives a spear into her head.

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9799698)
The car chase in Ronin. Actually most movies with really good car chase sequences are really dull.

Bullitt? Dull?

The Bus 10-27-09 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9799748)
Bullitt? Dull?

As far as I remember. I was fighting to stay awake long enough to get to the car chase.

Tom Creo 10-27-09 01:51 PM

Blanchard Ryan scene in Open Water. Dull movie, impressive buoys.

UAIOE 10-27-09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 9799678)
By throwing in a slapdash wedding between two main characters during the fight?

I chose to ignore that aspect as it wasn't nearly as cool as the battle itself.

jfoobar 10-27-09 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9799748)
Bullitt? Dull?

He did say "most."

islandclaws 10-27-09 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 9800000)
He did say "most."

Well, I don't know about you but I can maybe think of a dozen films with memorable car chase scenes, if that. Bullitt would be right at the top for most, I would think.

Groucho 10-27-09 03:25 PM

Bullitt is an excellent example of a lackluster movie with a great car chase. The French Connection is an excellent example of a great movie with a great car chase.