DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   DiCaprio...Maguire...'Third Man' Remake...WAT?! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/563666-dicaprio-maguire-third-man-remake-wat.html)

dad1153 10-23-09 11:29 PM

DiCaprio...Maguire...'Third Man' Remake...WAT?!

Chud.com (can't post links yet since I'm a noob; can someone link it for me?) says that a remake of Carol Reed's "The Third Man" starring Leo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire is sufficiently along in pre-pre-production for us to worry it will actually get made. :rolleyes: No director attached yet but an international mini-major (Studio Canal) and a screenwriter ("Eastern Promises'" Steve Knight) are already on board. This might explain why Criterion lists "The Third Man" (BD and DVD) as 'Out of Print' on its website. :(

JumpCutz 10-23-09 11:38 PM

Re: DiCaprio...Maguire...'Third Man' Remake...WAT?!

Here you go...

:sad:

I'm sure it'll be much better than the original. -wink-

File this one under rumor, but it's a pretty solid rumor or I wouldn't be running it. This is still early enough in the game that it could all fall apart, but it's also late enough in the game that it could be officially announced in a week or two.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire might be starring in a remake of the classic Carol Reed film The Third Man, which is being written by Eastern Promises screenwriter Steven Knight. The package comes from Canal Plus and it's going out for bidding, and the bidding is likely to be fierce. That's a hell of a line-up, after all. And it's before they have a director in place.

The big question is who plays what? Would DiCaprio take on the lead role of Holly Martins, the pulp author who comes to post-WWII Vienna for the funeral of his friend Harry Lime, or would he take on Harry Lime himself, a shadowy figure immortalized by Orson Welles? My money's on Leo stepping into Welles' shoes and with Maguire playing Holly.

The next big question is what's the setting? Would it be set in modern day Baghdad? Or would Knight find another setting in which to set up Harry Lime's racket (do it scifi!)? And then there's another big question - do you keep Harry Lime's famous ferris wheel monologue, one of the greatest in cinema history? You sort of have to... but you also don't want to be the guys who redo something perfect.

Then again, with that line of thinking nobody would be remaking The Third Man. If you're unfamiliar with the film I recommend picking up the Criterion Blu-Ray.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21...MAN/Page1.html

dan30oly 10-23-09 11:42 PM

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nows hollywood is raping my grandparents childhood memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dad1153 10-23-09 11:48 PM

Let speculation begin of what new rundown post-war city the remake would take place in since post-WWII Vienna is... no longer available. Tikrit? Kabul? Rwanda?

dan30oly 10-24-09 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by dad1153 (Post 9793175)
Let speculation begin of what new rundown post-war city the remake would take place in since post-WWII Vienna is... no longer available. Tikrit? Kabul? Rwanda?

Detroit.

riotinmyskull 10-24-09 05:26 AM

fuck. this. shit.

Fist of Doom 10-24-09 05:28 AM

The Third Man is a perfectly crafted film. What a pointless remake.

Gunde 10-24-09 07:55 AM

Glad I can always just rewatch the original.

Horrible casting for this remake. Truly, truly horrible

NoirFan 10-24-09 09:16 AM

The only scenario in which I would give this film a chance would be if Soderbergh or possibly Mann were directing.

Groucho 10-24-09 09:58 AM

I assume Tobey Maguire will play Holly Martins, and we'll get "treated" to watching him strut from place to place while Staying Alive plays in the background.

OldBoy 10-24-09 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 9793319)
The Third Man is a perfectly crafted film. What a pointless remake.

:up::up:

i don't mind all the pointless remakes that come along prior and in the future and won't complain about them either as this is just Hollywood's no originality way, but this is a favorite of all-time of mine and to trample on it with whoever starring and whoever directing, even if they are the biggest names in all the business is just plain wrong.

this is a seminal classic, Cotten and Welles at their best. gorgeous to look at. beloved and revered and i just don't like it one bit.

sauce07 10-24-09 10:50 AM

I heard they want to use all Tiny Tim music

Drexl 10-24-09 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9793442)
The only scenario in which I would give this film a chance would be if Soderbergh or possibly Mann were directing.

Depending on what happens to him in the next few months, there's a guy who would be great for this. And the best part is, raping grandparents' childhood memories would be done by an actual rapist! :)

naitram 10-24-09 12:02 PM

So many elements added up to make The Third Man what it is that can't be recreated again. Guess that won't stop anyone from trying.

Solid Snake 10-24-09 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9793514)
:up::up:

i don't mind all the pointless remakes that come along prior and in the future and won't complain about them either as this is just Hollywood's no originality way, but this is a favorite of all-time of mine and to trample on it with whoever starring and whoever directing, even if they are the biggest names in all the business is just plain wrong.

this is a seminal classic, Cotten and Welles at their best. gorgeous to look at. beloved and revered and i just don't like it one bit.

If it's a crappy film..sure remake it. But...wtf. Why remake a revered classic sure but above all...a damn fine film that bared no great faults to need a remake.

islandclaws 10-24-09 05:23 PM

One (minor) positive: it probably won't have that annoying fucking zither score that drives me nuts. Seriously, it's an awesome film that I, sadly, can't profess undying love for simply because the score drives me nuts.

cranberries fan 10-24-09 08:59 PM

What's next the? Wizard Of Oz-Gone With The Wind-Star Wars-3D?

Solid Snake 10-24-09 09:22 PM

Well honestly...I don't think Wizard of Oz will ever be remade in the same vein at least as Garland one. It's soooo huge in pop culture that people would really piss on the idea. How many general movie goers have heard of "The Third Man". Pretty low of a number for sure. It's an old one yeah, it's great, but...it's not huge like Wizard of Oz. To us it is cuz we're cinephiles but to my friends...no. They've never heard of it and most people haven't either.

Numanoid 10-25-09 12:00 AM

What's next, The Manchurian Candidate?

Mabuse 10-27-09 06:23 PM

Tobey Maguire already stared in a film that riffed on the Third Man in style and story. It was called The Good German and nobody cared.

belboz 10-27-09 06:38 PM

Meh, it's not like they remove the original from circulation when the remake comes out. At best, the remakes end up a vaguely interesting update or alternate take on the original. At worst, they're laughable jokes. But in either case, the shortcomings of the remake usually just server to underscore the brilliance of the original.

lamphorn 10-27-09 10:11 PM

I think I'm the only person who didn't think much of the original. I saw it in a beautiful theatre in Chicago (The Music Box). The presentation was great, the sound was fine. So there's no blaming bad viewing conditions.

But I was bored to tears. And that moment I had always heard was one of the greatest in cinema history... was just Orson Welles stepping out of a shadow in an alley and grinning. Who gives a shit?

Seriously, I love Orson Welles. Love the films he made. Love his performances. But this was a 10 second cameo in a movie that I found as convoluted and pointless as the first Mission Impossible. What on earth am I missing?

Hazel Motes 10-30-09 05:56 AM

Just like the Weinstein's were gonna remake Seven Samurai with George Clooney. I'll believe it when I see it.

tylergfoster 10-30-09 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 9800668)
I think I'm the only person who didn't think much of the original. I saw it in a beautiful theatre in Chicago (The Music Box). The presentation was great, the sound was fine. So there's no blaming bad viewing conditions.

But I was bored to tears. And that moment I had always heard was one of the greatest in cinema history... was just Orson Welles stepping out of a shadow in an alley and grinning. Who gives a shit?

Seriously, I love Orson Welles. Love the films he made. Love his performances. But this was a 10 second cameo in a movie that I found as convoluted and pointless as the first Mission Impossible. What on earth am I missing?

I didn't find it convoluted, but I too found it pretty dull.

Groucho 10-30-09 08:41 AM

I also found it boring. Where was the kick ass action scenes where people dodge bullets and get chased by giant robots? Where was the brooding teenage vampires? Why did they hold shots longer than 5 seconds? Zzz...