DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which SAW films are worth my time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/563597-saw-films-worth-my-time.html)

Boba Fett 10-22-09 09:18 PM

Which SAW films are worth my time?

I seem to recall seeing most of the original SAW and found it enjoyable, but aside from vague bits and pieces of the second film, I haven't given it much thought.

I've heard conflicting things from people who've seen them all.

Some say, only the first is worth watching, others are fans of the first trilogy only, and of course there are the big fans that think the series is utter genius.

I'd probably end up buying them since I can get them cheap $2.50 each, so if they are indeed worth checking out, which ones should I go for?

Cardsfan111 10-22-09 09:31 PM

Re: Which SAW films are worth my time?

I'm like you Boba Fett. I watched the first two and thought they were above average. The third one started to lose me. Upon seeing how cheap all of the sequels were, I picked them up and have caught up through the 5th one.

I thought all of them were worthy of a viewing. You have to watch them in order since each film connects to the ones previous to it. And that's my favorite part to the series thus far. The ability to connect the storylines is pretty creative.

A good friend of mine is a Saw fanatic. I asked him recently his opinion of the series and he admits it dropped off after the third one because there were different writers. That said, he's pumped as usual for the one being released this week.

tylergfoster 10-22-09 09:35 PM

You can get the first five in a Wal-Mart set for $20 in their Unrated form.

Really, the Friday the 13th series is a good litmus test. If you could sit through -- not necessarily enjoy, just sit through -- all 10 of those, then you'll probably be fine watching all 6 Saws.

My personal breakdown of the series goes like this:
Saw: :up: premise, twist, acting (first half). :down: acting (second half), budgetary constraints.
Saw II :up: Donnie Wahlberg, twist A and B, Franky G, needles, use of a particular set. :down: poor use of house (i.e. personalized rooms), twist C.
Saw III: :up: Jigsaw story thread, all twists, flashbacks. :down: Jeff story thread (please stop whining, Jeff).
Saw IV: :up: Pretty much everything. My favorite Saw, but you have to have a pretty good memory of Saw III. :down: some of the flashback stuff isn't very well edited.
Saw V: :up: the twists (I guess) and I like Agent Strahm. :down: feels very simplistic (like 75% of a movie), flashbacks/reconning starts to get silly, a few plot holes. My least favorite Saw. The DVD cut is different from the theatrical cut, though, and it is an improvement.

SethDLH 10-22-09 09:54 PM

the first. the rest are pure crap. i laughed at having part 5 figured out in the first 10 minutes or so, and laughed at the rest for how bad it was.

That said me and a couple friends can't wait to rent part 6 so we can laugh at it too

auto 10-22-09 10:00 PM

The first three are really fun. The next two are decent. Six, your guess is as good as mine.

TheNightFlier 10-22-09 10:03 PM

I really enjoyed the first film, the second was average but worth a viewing.

NiCK Crush 10-22-09 10:06 PM

Once you see the first, I honestly feel like it's worth it to see all the rest. Say what you will about the films, but at least they come up with creative ways to have them all be connected. They are all sequels in the truest sense of the word...

Spoiler:
Ok, maybe not Saw 4... ;)

But still, if you invest your time in the first one and like it, I truly feel like their is enough reward in watching all the rest at some point to warrant doing so.

dsa_shea 10-23-09 11:06 AM

All of them at least once.

Matthew Chmiel 10-23-09 11:19 AM

1. II
2. VI
3. III
4. I
5. V
6. IV

;) [For the 31st time, at least.]

With the franchise, you have to watch all the films as they're serialized. Miss an entry and you'll be lost in what's occurring in the next.

That being said, I-III are the most fun and entertaining to watch as it's an almost-complete story with the exception of a few questions left unanswered. These questions are answered in IV and V, which happen to be my least favorite of the franchise. Boring, unimaginative and uninteresting are the most positive ways to describe IV and V which felt more of an activity of how to go through the motions of a Saw sequel as it spends more time opening up questions rather than answering them.

VI brings everything back where it should've been and is a worthy successor in the franchise. Most upsetting thing is to get to that sequel, you'll have to sit through IV and V.

Groucho 10-23-09 11:23 AM

I agree with Matthew. You can't pick and choose like with the generic slasher series that have no continuity. I suggest you watch them one at a time, and abandon the series if and when it gets tedious for you.

Hokeyboy 10-23-09 11:26 AM

I thought the first was great, and the fourth was the best after the first. Almost as good, IMO.

I don't remember much from movie to movie, I just kinda roll with it. But yeah, you really have to watch them all.

Rammsteinfan 10-23-09 11:28 AM

I have enjoyed each film as the series goes along and if you want to get the full SAW fix then you need to watch them all closely since their are pieces of story throughout each film and alot of the questions from way back in 3 are finally revealed in 6. I personally cant wait to see VII and how VIII closes the series.

mndtrp 10-23-09 11:29 AM

I think they are all worthwhile, and enjoyable, but the quality starts to drop as you get beyond the first three. At that price, I would pick them up and watch all of them.

clckworang 10-23-09 11:48 AM

I've seen most of the Saw movies (the first 4), and it's just not my bag. A friend and I laughed our way through the first one, especially the second half. I guess because of how popular they are and because I'm a big horror buff, I feel compelled to watch the rest as they appear on Showtime. I think all of them are pretty mediocre, but like others have said, if you really like the first one, then you'll probably find things to appreciate about the sequels.

newginafets 10-23-09 12:09 PM

why don't u watch all from I-VI?

It's all connected, u don't want to jump.

islandclaws 10-23-09 12:12 PM

I've gotta agree with the "just watch them all" mentality. You can get that Wal-mart set with all 5 unrated editions for $20. Personally, I thought it should have ended after III. There have been few endings to a horror series as definitive as that, but they obviously found a way to slag on. I've been hearing now that VI is one of the best entries yet, so the ever-unfolding storyline seems to still have something to say.

My basic philosophy: if you've enjoyed one, you'll most likely find some enjoyment from all.

fumanstan 10-23-09 12:13 PM

If you enjoyed the story in the first movie, I think it's worth watching the rest. Obviously there's differing opinions on the quality of the rest, although generally 4 and 5 are weaker then the start. But like it's been said, the story is actually pretty cool throughout the whole series, unlike other horror franchises that have had this many sequels.

Rival11 10-23-09 12:55 PM

I would say they're all worth watching - 4 & 5 are EXTERMELY generic - straight direct to video stuff but it's a series that at least tries to keep you interested.

I just hope they stop with 6 - if not, I would still prob go along for the ride.

Michael Corvin 10-23-09 01:07 PM

First trilogy: :up: :up:
Second trilogy: :crap:

islandclaws 10-23-09 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 9792028)

I just hope they stop with 6 - if not, I would still prob go along for the ride.

VII (in 3D) has been greenlighted, and they've confirmed this storyline takes the films up to VIII. So, we've got at least two more in the pipeline.

Matthew Chmiel 10-23-09 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9792064)
VII (in 3D) has been greenlighted, and they've confirmed this storyline takes the films up to VII. So, we've got at least two more in the pipeline.

Based off the events and answers we get in VI, VII will tie up everything in a nice pretty bow and end in a way to start "fresh" if Lionsgate gives the green light to VIII.

tylergfoster 10-23-09 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9792124)
Based off the events and answers we get in VI, VII will tie up everything in a nice pretty bow and end in a way to start "fresh" if Lionsgate gives the green light to VIII.

Cannibal made a typo. Burg and Koules said they had the story figured out through VIII, so the question mark is IX, not VIII. I get the feeling that this entry is going to win the weekend, and the next entry will get a boost from 3D, so we'll be seeing VIII in theaters.

Maxflier 10-23-09 03:04 PM

Saw 1 & 2 were both really good. Saw 3 was so shitty that I never bothered with any of the rest after it.

DJariya 10-23-09 07:42 PM

Saw is like watching a TV serial drama. You can't pick and choose which ones to watch. Every film ties into each other.

Boba Fett 10-23-09 10:25 PM

OK, I'll give the first two a try and then branch out from there, in order, if necessary.

Thanks for all the feedback.