Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Jackson's "Is This It": Do you care?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will you be seeing Michael Jackson's "Is This It?"
I'll be beating it to the theatre on opening weekend
11.89%
I'll wait for the DVD, like the man in the mirror
21.08%
I don't wanna be startin' something, I'll never see this
62.16%
Twikoff, jamon, who's bad?
4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Michael Jackson's "Is This It": Do you care?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michael Jackson's "Is This It": Do you care?

Originally Posted by RichC2
Why because he rates movies based on how much he likes them instead of how well they're made? In that case, he's never been a trust-worth critic (this is the guy that hated Blue Velvet and gave Cop and A Half thumbs up.) His "trust-worthiness" hasn't changed all that much. It's all in how he defends or scrutinizes the movie.

Ebert is a big fan of Michael Jackson's so this isn't a surprise by any stretch. At least, that's what I gathered from that massive write up he had on the guy right after his death.

Most reviews seem to be saying it's an entertaining doc, surface-level only. No depth to speak of, works as a tribute more than anything.

The movie made $2.2m off midnight showings this morning (US only).
He gave The Happening 3 stars. Enough said.
Old 10-29-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it this morning. It was pretty good although I found the film to be a bit basic. Short intro and then song after song with short little breaks to show some of the behind the scenes work. Jackson himself is the least impressive part of the whole thing. His voice sounds pretty good but he doesn't sing very loud for a lot of it because he is trying to "preserve his voice". His dancing is pretty minimal too. The backup dancers do all the impressive moves. The show looks like it would have been really cool though. The sets and choreography are very impressive. I'm not much of a Jackson fan so other hardcore fans might enjoy it more. For me, it was just alright. Should have waited for the dvd.
Old 10-29-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Amazing he was able to do all that on all the drugs he was taking...
Old 10-30-09, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it this evening in a nearly empty theater.

I thought it was interesting and entertaining; but I didn't think it was a "good" movie. There's really no structure to it, it's just song after song. Which in the case of 250 hours (plus) of footage with no intention to ever make a feature film is alright, but I personally would've loved to seen more behind-the-scenes material along with the reasons why Jackson was doing the concert and the reactions from the people involved with it after his untimely death.

Can Moonwalker get a Blu-ray release now because of this?
Old 10-30-09, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Saw it this evening in a nearly empty theater.

I thought it was interesting and entertaining; but I didn't think it was a "good" movie. There's really no structure to it, it's just song after song. Which in the case of 250 hours (plus) of footage with no intention to ever make a feature film is alright, but I personally would've loved to seen more behind-the-scenes material along with the reasons why Jackson was doing the concert and the reactions from the people involved with it after his untimely death.

Can Moonwalker get a Blu-ray release now because of this?
That should be found on the DVD & blu-ray releases.
Old 10-30-09, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Major Michael Jackson "This Is It" spoiler:

the main character dies in the end.
Old 10-30-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan. No interest in seeing it.
Old 11-01-09, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not a fan of MJ in the slightest, but the GF is, so we saw it the other night. As a movie, it did nothing special for me. I definitely think the live show would have been amazing, and as a preview piece for that, it works, but since we all know that it will never happen, it really doesn't. Did the crew get a chance to talk to Michael? If they had compiled it as an actual concert approach, it might have worked, but since they seemed to want to have everything in it be Michael-related, it just didn't do much for me.

As I watched it, I couldn't help but compare it to Springsteen's "Blood Brothers" in my head. Sure, they're completely different in their focus and element, but I derived so much more out of that one than this. i'll take away some fun from my one time viewing, but won't invest anything else into it.
Old 11-01-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While I'm not the biggest Michael Jackson fan (thought the hoopla surround his death to be so over-the-top), but as I watched all this rehearsal footage play out, I was a little saddened by the fact that this really was it for a bookend on his long and successful career entertaining millions of his fans. Is it the most insightful documentary of a music superstar, far from it, but given its short time span from MJ's untimely death this summer to this documentary's release, it's the closest thing that his fans will ever experience of his planned 50-city comeback tour.

The documentary basically runs through a gamut of hit songs from the rehearsal footage, and gives us tidbits of the producing and creative aspects of putting on a MJ concert, while still keeping the viewers at arm's length from MJ the person.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 11-01-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

So had a sorta date and this was the only movie playing (she ruled out any scary movies). I'm not an MJ fan, much like I'm not a Beatles fan. I know the hit songs, appreciate them for what they are and that's about it.

I have to say, it was an interesting look at the thought process of MJ and it really showed his knowledge and expertise when it came to his music, tempo and timing. It also showed his passion for entertaining and that even at giving only 60 - 70% towards rehearsals, he still had more charisma and unbelievable energy than a lot of artists today.

I'm wondering since he stated that this was his swan song concert tour, why there weren't more songs or if they never got around to rehearing them.
Old 11-01-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it this afternoon. I was only a minimal fan before, but have gained a better appreciation for his classic material since his death. Your take on this documentary is going to be swayed heavily by your feelings on his music. I'm not sure how much the film would go in changing a non-fan.

Regardless, I was impressed at how fluidly he was moving around given his condition at the time. He was obviously trying to hold back in rehearsal, but to think of how his body was failing at the time, it's incredible to see. My images of Jackson prior to his death had been of him barely able to walk into a courtroom. Here, he's moving and dancing well. Yes, it's a bit reserved, but it was still the closet I had seen Jackson in the last 15 years or so to being that electric performer he once was.

And as devilshalo mentioned, Jackson's knowledge of music as a whole is impressive. You have a lot of pop stars today who seem so manufactured that you'd be surprised to learn they know a lick about actual music. But Jackson wasn't just a great performer and singer. The guy knew his music. I think this is evident in parts of the documentary. There's him halting "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" to explain just how much funkier he needs that familiar groove to be. There's him explaining to the keyboardist precise tempo and tempo changes.

Whether you disliked him as a person or not, this is Michael Jackson in the only environment where he ever really felt comfortable in his own skin. It was a bittersweet experience to see him in this setting for two hours knowing that the end was so close.
Old 11-02-09, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's already made over $100 million (globally, of course) so it's already seen as a success financially.
Old 11-02-09, 09:17 AM
Banned

Another DVDTALK poll result that doesn't match what the rest of the country thinks.
Old 11-02-09, 09:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Another DVDTALK poll result that doesn't match what the rest of the country thinks.
Significantly less than 11% of the country saw this movie, so I agree.
Old 11-06-09, 04:12 PM

The theatrical run was just extended after some amazing returns at the box office. So, if you were planning on seeing it, now you have more time
Old 11-06-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The album is #1 with over 300K in only its first week. Impressive figures these days.
Old 11-06-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
The album is #1 with over 300K in only its first week. Impressive figures these days.
Especially since everyone already owns the EXACT same version of all the songs, aside from the 5-song second disc with the demos.
Old 11-10-09, 06:17 PM

I saw this movie this past weekend and I really enjoyed it! I definitely think you should only see this if you are a HUGE fan of MJ, but I of course am and am really glad they made this movie!