DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What unrelated movie could act as unofficial sequel/prequel to another? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/562755-what-unrelated-movie-could-act-unofficial-sequel-prequel-another.html)

TGM 10-07-09 08:32 AM

What unrelated movie could act as unofficial sequel/prequel to another?

Just curious if anyone can think of any?

tbh, this question comes about because I keep hearingreading people stating that the upcoming Modern Warfare 2 could almost act as a prequel to Fallout 3 (that's videogames, son!).

RichC2 10-07-09 08:34 AM

Re: What unrelated movie could act as unofficial sequel/prequel to another?

Terminator series almost works as a prequel to The Matrix (Single movie, not series -- completely ignoring The Animatrix).

Cheato 10-07-09 09:28 AM

^ That reminded me of the Robocop Vs. Terminator comic book by Frank Miller. Robocop technology is what is eventually used to make the Terminators, if I remember correctly. At least in that story.

Bad_Feeling 10-07-09 09:36 AM

Forbidden Planet could almost act as a prequel to Star Trek.

RobLutter 10-07-09 10:00 AM

War Inc. works as an unofficial sequel to Grosse Pointe Blank.

stingermck 10-07-09 10:12 AM

I always thought Romeo Must Die, Exits Wounds, and Cradle 2 the Grave could almost be a shared universe. Me and friend figured you would have to watch them in reverse order though and it hinges on DMX's characters:

Spoiler:
Thief in Cradle, goes legit and makes money in Exit, and killed at one his clubs/properties in Romeo. Jet's character does something to land himself in jail between, Cradle and Romeo. I know they all have different characters names, and we may have been drunk at the time so :shrug:

Meglos 10-07-09 10:53 AM

Year One.

It's a prequel to just about everything.

Tarantino 10-07-09 10:58 AM

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Forrest Gump. I guess they could be going on at the same time.

Ash Ketchum 10-07-09 11:02 AM

Fred Zinnemann's ACT OF VIOLENCE (1949), a postwar L.A. film noir with Van Heflin, Robert Ryan, and Janet Leigh, is, in a very startling way, something of an indirect sequel to a POW drama along the lines of STALAG 17 (1953) and THE GREAT ESCAPE (1963), in that it deals with GI survivors of a POW camp and an act of betrayal that has ramifications way beyond the end of the war.

It also looks forward to the opening fight scene in KILL BILL, VOL. 1 and it has a confrontation at a train station at the end that looks forward to both Zinnemann's own HIGH NOON (1952) and ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969).

devilshalo 10-07-09 11:54 AM

I'd like to think of Bull Durham, For Love of the Game and The Upside of Anger as a trilogy of Costner's baseball films.

emachine12 10-07-09 12:00 PM

Well...

Soldier is the unofficial sidequel to Blade Runner and includes numorous references to Blade Runner.

Speed & Speed 2: Cruise Control are also unofficial spin-offs, essentially sequels to the Die Hard films. Right down to Pacific Courier and Atlantic Courier companies being used in both films.

FinkPish 10-07-09 12:01 PM

Jackie Brown and Out of Sight occupy the same universe. They are both based on Elmore Leonard novels and both feature Ray Nicolette (played by Michael Keaton).

I felt like The Score could have been a sequel to Heat, assuming certain people didn't die at the end of Heat.

DonnachaOne 10-07-09 12:52 PM

The Rock. Imagine if James Bond was taken on a mission, locked up for the rest of his life and had to be used again.

Same thing with Bruckheimer's Enemy of the State, which has Gene Hackman essentially returning to the role of Harry Caul from The Conversation.

Even Hard Eight is built around Philip Baker Hall's burnt-out gangster, who may or may not be the same man from Midnight Run. After all, they're both named Sydney.

At school we used to play a game where we'd take a 60's or 70's film with an iconic role and star and see what sort of semi-sequel we'd put them in now. My favorite was something with a NY policeman on the run from crooked cops that ends up being helped by an in-hiding Serpico.

Josh-da-man 10-07-09 01:07 PM

2001 A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange.

Michael Corvin 10-07-09 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9756964)
Terminator series almost works as a prequel to The Matrix (Single movie, not series -- completely ignoring The Animatrix).

I, Robot works well as a prequel to the Matrix as well.

OldBoy 10-07-09 02:28 PM

This is Spinal Tap could act as a prequel to Anvil: The Story of Anvil
:duel:

nemein 10-07-09 02:32 PM

I always thought Event Horizon would make an interesting prequel to the Mutant Chronicles universe (the games not the recent movie since they established their own back story to that one).

TGM 10-07-09 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12 (Post 9757455)
Well...

Soldier is the unofficial sidequel to Blade Runner and includes numorous references to Blade Runner.

whaaaaaaaaaat?! you mean, that awful movie with Kurt Russell??

RagingBull80 10-07-09 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 9757579)
Same thing with Bruckheimer's Enemy of the State, which has Gene Hackman essentially returning to the role of Harry Caul from The Conversation.

First thing that came to my mind.

emachine12 10-07-09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9757893)
whaaaaaaaaaat?! you mean, that awful movie with Kurt Russell??

Yep.

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9757875)
This is Spinal Tap could act as a prequel to Anvil: The Story of Anvil

The difference though is Anvil is a real band and have been making music before the documentary film came out. So its a faux doc like This Is Spinal Tap where the band became real after the movie.

milo bloom 10-07-09 03:03 PM

In a recent interview, Edward James Olmos half-jokingly said Blade Runner was the true finale to BSG. Close enough for me.

cleaver 10-07-09 03:19 PM

Planet of the Apes as a prequel to Spaceballs

RocShemp 10-07-09 03:51 PM

Actually, Spaceballs would be the prequel to Planet of the Apes since the former reveals just how
Spoiler:
the Statue of Liberty got to be on that beach
for the ending of the latter. ;)

I always like to view The Hunted as a story that takes place just before the Gathering in Highlander.

Drop 10-07-09 04:08 PM

Twin Peaks almost works as a sequel to Blue Velvet. Jeffrey Beaumont is essentially Dale Cooper. BV could easily work as an origin story.

Drexl 10-07-09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 9757436)
I'd like to think of Bull Durham, For Love of the Game and The Upside of Anger as a trilogy of Costner's baseball films.

Does Field of Dreams fit in there anywhere?

devilshalo 10-07-09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9758139)
Does Field of Dreams fit in there anywhere?

Nope... Costner is not a ball player in Field of Dreams.

Dr. DVD 10-07-09 04:39 PM

If it weren't for one revelation of the character's past that kind of makes it unlikely, I think Zombieland could be a sequel to Natural Born Killers in terms of Woody Harrelson's character, as he is never named.
Spoiler:
I supposed one could argue he had a change of heart after his rampaging in NBK and losing his son to the zombie apocalypse brought back some of his old tendencies, but having a family made him sensitive enough to not go full killer again.

The Matador would work as a movie about James Bond hitting the skids.

I also agree that Enemy of the State and The Rock work as follow ups to The Conversation and James Bond; I'm certain those were the intentions of the filmmakers.

rw2516 10-07-09 04:44 PM

Where Eagles Dare could be prequel to Bond if Richard Burton's Character became M.

Although obviously not the same character, Palerider feels like a quasi-sequel to High Plains Drifter.

Drexl 10-07-09 05:12 PM

Saturday Night Fever is about a young man who later became a hitman and changed his name to Vincent Vega. While he's not as good as he used to be, he hasn't completely forgotten how to dance.

Trout 10-07-09 05:15 PM

Stir of Echoes could be a prequel to The Sixth Sense.

Abob Teff 10-07-09 08:18 PM

Kind of an off-shoot, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, with a little re-working, Evolution could have been Ghostbusters 3.

tylergfoster 10-07-09 09:04 PM

I believe Big Trouble in Little China was written as a sequel to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!, or vice versa.

A few years back when there were strong rumors of a Léon: The Professional sequel and Besson wouldn't agree to do it, I really thought a great sequel could have been made using La Femme Nikita. Obviously, the film and its subsequent TV show are popular on their own, and they already remade Besson's film into Point of No Return, but it works so well:
Spoiler:
After the death of Léon, and years trying to make things work at the private school, Mathilda ends up falling in with gangs and ends up in jail. Danny Aiello's character would bail her out and set her up with another professional so that she could bring her skill set back up to par, and then she starts taking on jobs. She meets a guy, falls in love with him, considers getting out, etc. The best part of it is that in Nikita, Jean Reno played the evil hitman -- with a little makeup, he could play the role again, and not only would the character be shockingly evil, but a dark reflection of the man Mathilda used to love. I also liked that even if Besson wouldn't want to write it, in a sense, you would still have him on board.

RocShemp 10-07-09 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I believe Big Trouble in Little China was written as a sequel to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!

That is correct. The script for Big Trouble in Little China was retooled from an unproduced script that was intended as a sequel to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!

Dr. DVD 10-07-09 10:09 PM

In a way, Unforgiven could be the end-all sequel to just about any of Clint Eastwood's Westerns. The prologue said he was known as William Munny, so he might be one of his other characters.

While not sequels, if you want to get a weird vibe, watch Bram Stoker's Dracula in which Anthony Hopkins plays a rival to Gary Oldman, and then Silence of the Lambs, where he is Hannibal Lecter, then Hannibal, where an old victim (played by Oldman) tries to destroy Lecter.

Jay G. 10-07-09 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish (Post 9757459)
Jackie Brown and Out of Sight occupy the same universe. They are both based on Elmore Leonard novels and both feature Ray Nicolette (played by Michael Keaton).

Are those "unrelated" though, since the character is the same, and both were written by the same author? Those seem like pretty strong connections.

The Limey could be considered a sequel to Poor Cow, since The Limey used footage of Terrance Stamp from Poor Cow for flashbacks.

I had a friend who considered My Blue Heaven a sequel to Goodfellas.

Geddlo 10-08-09 12:01 AM

I might have the movies flipped but some friends and I always thought that John Cusack's character in Say Anything branched off into Grosse Point Blank and I think it was Better off Dead went into High Fidelity.

emachine12 10-08-09 01:46 AM

Going back to Die Hard...

It was based on a book titled Nothing Lasts Forever which was a sequel to the novel The Detective. The Detective was made into a film starring Frank Sinatra so Die Hard is the unmentioned sequel to that film.

Cyborg, the Jean-Claude Van Damme film, was originally conceived as a possible sequel to Masters of The Universe but that never panned out so the story was completely changed.

RocShemp 10-08-09 06:10 AM

Not just a possible sequel, emachine12. Cyborg was definitely created from the scraps of the Masters of the Universe. You see a sequel was already in production around the time the first movie hit theaters. They were building sets and making costumes when Masters of the Universe bombed (it cost $17 million to make and only made $17 million and change at the box office). They were still gonna go ahead with the sequel since they already started making costumes and had built some of the sets when Mattel demanded a high licencing fee for the sequel. So they scrapped the sequel, improvised another movie with what they had, and the end result was Cyborg.

Hulkabrgr 10-08-09 06:53 AM

Based on a couple of cameo's, Coming to America could be a sequel to Trading Places

Groucho 10-08-09 08:10 AM

Cyborg also used sets for an abandoned Spider-Man project. So I guess it's a prequel for that franchise!