DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What unrelated movie could act as unofficial sequel/prequel to another? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/562755-what-unrelated-movie-could-act-unofficial-sequel-prequel-another.html)

Dr. DVD 10-11-09 09:35 PM

Re: What unrelated movie could act as unofficial sequel/prequel to another?

I've thought Black Rain and Basic Instinct go well together.

Both have Michael Douglas playing a cop dealing with vice issues, and they are both named Nick. Different last names, but the character in Basic Instinct gets a lot more interesting if you look at Black Rain as the backstory.

I have also always thought that Robocop and Starship Troopers go well together. Both are by the same team of filmmakers (Verhoeven, Neumeir) , both have the media snippets, and at the beginning of Starship the Michael Ironside character alludes to how society was brought to the brink with violence in the late 20th Century, which seems to be the road it's on in Robocop.

Drexl 10-11-09 09:54 PM

Don't Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, and Disclosure from some sort of Michael Douglas trilogy of him getting screwed (in more ways than one) by women?

Dr. DVD 10-12-09 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9767599)
Don't Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, and Disclosure from some sort of Michael Douglas trilogy of him getting screwed (in more ways than one) by women?

That does seem to be the case. Demi in Disclosure was the only one that he didn't screw on screen (he just came close).

GoldenJCJ 10-12-09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9767599)

I remember Michael Douglas taking a lot of heat for his choice of roles during that "era". He was labeled sexist and misogynistic by a lot of women's groups.

Bacon 03-06-10 10:47 AM

Tightrope to the Dirty Harry movies

Munchies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchies_%28film%29 obvious "sequel" to Gremlins

islandclaws 03-06-10 11:40 AM

Alligator works as a prequel to Lake Placid.

Doughboy 03-06-10 12:48 PM

Green Zone could be a sequel to the Bourne Trilogy.

Crocker Jarmen 03-06-10 01:00 PM

When I watch Manhattan Murder Mystery, I like to pretend Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are playing Annie and Alvey from Annie Hall, having gotten back together over the last 20 years.

Mondo Kane 03-06-10 01:57 PM

http://cover7.cduniverse.com/MuzeVid.../16/145316.jpg

^If Ice-T mutated and became an alien (He's already got the dreads!) then this would be quite a kick-ass revenge prequel for
http://cover7.cduniverse.com/MuzeVid.../03/338103.jpg

movieguru 03-06-10 02:58 PM

Raise the Titanic and Titanic.

Dr Mabuse 03-06-10 03:23 PM

Well... 'Rio Bravo' was the inspiration for Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13', which was an indirect remake. Carpenter used John Wayne's character's name from 'Rio Bravo' in the credits to the film

'Rio Bravo' was also the inspiration for 'El Dorado', only you swap 'Co-lo-rah-duh' for 'Miss-sah-sip-pee' in the two.

llandros 03-06-10 04:02 PM

You could also kinda see that "The Banger Sisters" could be a sequel to "Almost Famous", or at least an extension of Kate Hudson's character.

mikehunt 03-06-10 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9757893)
whaaaaaaaaaat?! you mean, that awful movie with Kurt Russell??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...deroforion.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hausergate.jpg

d2cheer 03-08-10 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by llandros (Post 10034869)
You could also kinda see that "The Banger Sisters" could be a sequel to "Almost Famous", or at least an extension of Kate Hudson's character.

I like this one.

hasslein 03-08-10 01:53 PM

The Seven Ups sequel to The French Connection... same producers so not exactly unrelated... I like to believe Scheider is the same character...

Ash Ketchum 03-08-10 02:28 PM

DIE HARD (1988) is something of a sequel to the Frank Sinatra police drama, THE DETECTIVE (1968). Both are based on books by Roderick Thorp and the central character is the same in both. DIE HARD was based on "Nothing Lasts Forever" which, IIRC, follows the character from THE DETECTIVE after his retirement.

toddly6666 03-08-10 02:33 PM

BROOKLYN'S FINEST is sort of a sequel to TRAINING DAY for Ethan Hawke

Ethan Hawke starts off as a rookie cop in L.A., cleans up the streets there, gets transfered to Brooklyn. Over time, he leaves his hot wife for an ugly one (Lili Taylor), gets stressed with a rotting house and tons of kids, and questions his ethics as he struggles to pay for his dream home.

Zen Peckinpah 03-08-10 03:24 PM

The Rookie works as the sixth Dirty Harry movie in many ways. I'm also convinced Predator 2 is part of the Lethal Weapon continuity as Danny Glover basically plays Roger Murtagh and was involved in a rather secretive case about an alien while Riggs was on vacation.

so it goes 03-08-10 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 10034638)
When I watch Manhattan Murder Mystery, I like to pretend Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are playing Annie and Alvey from Annie Hall, having gotten back together over the last 20 years.

Wasn't Manhattan Murder Mystery based on the deleted murder mystery subplot that was a part of the original story that became Annie Hall?

dhmac 03-08-10 08:36 PM

E.T. is like a pseudo-sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Dr. DVD 03-08-10 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by llandros (Post 10034869)

I think the sun glasses worn by Goldie are the same worn by Kate.

JJE-187 03-08-10 08:52 PM

I read a review somewhere that said We Own The Night seems like an unofficial sequel to The Departed

JJE-187 03-08-10 08:53 PM

also 12 Rounds could be a sequel to The Marine, same basic movie

Joe Molotov 03-08-10 10:27 PM

Gran Torino is like after Dirty Harry went into retirement.

Numanoid 03-08-10 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9756964)
Terminator series almost works as a prequel to The Matrix

And Colossus: The Forbin Project before that.