DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Recommend some good, recent scary movies please (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/562702-recommend-some-good-recent-scary-movies-please.html)

Snowmaker 10-06-09 08:05 AM

Recommend some good, recent scary movies please

I grew up with the Fridays, Elm Sts., etc, so I know a lot of the older horror movies, but I cannot seem to find any good recent ones. The few that I have liked (Hostels, first 2 Saw movies) were decent, but the wife and I would like some good, "jump out of your seat" kinds of movies.

Are Saws 3-5 worth watching?

I know there are supposed to be a lot of good foreign ones, but the wife hates reading subtitles and dubbed movies are just distracting.

RichC2 10-06-09 08:08 AM

Re: Recommend some good, recent scary movies please

I loved The Descent (one of the few movies to make me jump) and Severance (not "scary" per se but a lot of fun). Trick 'r Treat comes out today and has a ton of hype behind it.

The US remake (Quarantine) of the Spanish movie [REC] isn't quite as suspenseful or scary as the original but is also a formidable horror flick.

Saw 3, imho, was idiotic but watchable. Saw IV was a bore and an absolute mess of a movie. Haven't seen Saw V yet.

Last 10 years:
  • The Descent
  • 28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later
  • Quarantine ([REC] is better, imho, but spanish)
  • Severance
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • Murder Party (more humorous)
  • Feast
  • Ginger Snaps
  • The Ring

Wrong Turn and the Hills Have Eyes remakes aren't bad but neither has anything remotely "scary" in it, just a boatload of kills. Same goes for The Devil's Rejects.

Pointyskull 10-06-09 08:10 AM

Here's a couple of Stuart Gordon-directed genre titles I enjoy:

Re-Animator
Dagon

Snowmaker 10-06-09 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9754478)
Re-Animator
Dagon

Re-Animator is almost 25 years old and I've seen it several times. I'll have to check out Dagon though. I've never heard of it.

I'm looking for movies < 10 years old and preferrably not PG-13.

chris_sc77 10-06-09 09:31 AM

Another vote for Quarantine.
30 Days of NIght
the Mist

Yavin 10-06-09 09:59 AM

If you're looking for a good "jump-out-of-you-seat" (and fun) horror film, definitely check out:

Drag Me To Hell

You might also want to check out:

The Midnight Meat Train

Which was a little twist on the standard serial killer fare, with a couple of good "No, no, don't go in there you silly bitch" moments. If you liked the blood and gore in Hostel, you'll like this one. It was not as difficult to stomach as Hostel IMHO, in terms of the way the violence serves the tone of the film.

I'll also wholeheartedly second:

The Descent
Trick 'r' Treat
The Mist

riotinmyskull 10-06-09 10:26 AM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...rror-fans.html

/thread

inri222 10-06-09 10:29 AM

Let the Right One In
Pulse (Kairo)
Three Extremes
The Others
Strange Circus
Open Water
Session 9

Tarantino 10-06-09 10:58 AM

Quarantine, The Ring.

woofman 10-06-09 11:27 AM

28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later
30 Days of Night
The Descent
The Ring

Snowmaker 10-06-09 11:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 9754782)
Let the Right One In

We rented that Saturday. What a waste of $4. Boring as hell and dubbed. Wife fell asleep and I fought through it to the end. The last 5 minutes was probably the only really cool part.

Pulse we saw last year and thought it was lame.

I have The Mist on DVD. I liked it, wife hated it.

We saw The Ring years ago. It was OK.

RichC2 10-06-09 01:20 PM

It's a tough one. It's obvious you're after the "fun" horror flicks and not the dread/moody ones, which is fine as I prefer those too, but mood horror seems to have taken over lately. I'll stick with The Descent as my primary recommendation, but have you tried Event Horizon (a little older)? or even The Grudge (I don't like the franchise, but it seems to be effective for some and popular to boot)?

House on Haunted Hill ('99) and Ghost Ship (2002) were fairly entertaining movies -- they were fun, had a few jump moments and some creepy parts -- that had really poor endings. If you can overlook that aspect, they're definitely worth a watch. Ghost Ship's intro is now something of a classic, and HoHH is one of my guilty pleasures.

The first Final Destination movie was somewhat effective fun as well (I personally didn't like #2 or #4 at all, though #3 was watchable.) I also really enjoyed Identity with John Cusack.

I know a lot of people that really liked Vacancy. While I'm not amongst them, I thought the movie lost steam, it is an occasionally effective little horror flick with solid direction by Nimrod Antal. I was not a fan of Ils and never saw its cousin The Strangers.

I actually enjoyed the recent remake of My Bloody Valentine in 3D as well, though the 3D may have been a big part of that (they put focal point on midget clevage, it made me laugh, that is all.)

Indy Jones Fan 10-06-09 01:36 PM

I know you said you didn't like subtitled films but IMO The Orphanage shouldn't be overlooked.

Also, a guilty pleaseure of mine is the 13 Ghosts remake. I'm sure I'll take some heat on that one. :)

Snowmaker 10-06-09 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9755245)
It's a tough one. It's obvious you're after the "fun" horror flicks and not the dread/moody ones, which is fine as I prefer those too, but mood horror seems to have taken over lately. I'll stick with The Descent as my primary recommendation, but have you tried Event Horizon (a little older)? or even The Grudge (I don't like the franchise, but it seems to be effective for some and popular to boot)?

House on Haunted Hill ('99) and Ghost Ship (2002) were fairly entertaining movies -- they were fun, had a few jump moments and some creepy parts -- that had really poor endings. If you can overlook that aspect, they're definitely worth a watch. Ghost Ship's intro is now something of a classic, and HoHH is one of my guilty pleasures.

The first Final Destination movie was somewhat effective fun as well (I personally didn't like #2 or #4 at all, though #3 was watchable.) I also really enjoyed Identity with John Cusack.

I know a lot of people that really liked Vacancy. While I'm not amongst them, I thought the movie lost steam, it is an occasionally effective little horror flick with solid direction by Nimrod Antal. I was not a fan of Ils and never saw its cousin The Strangers.

I actually enjoyed the recent remake of My Bloody Valentine in 3D as well, though the 3D may have been a big part of that (they put focal point on midget clevage, it made me laugh, that is all.)

I think I saw Event Horizon when it first came out. I don't even remember what its about.

House on Haunted Hill ('99) and Ghost Ship (2002) I've seen. I like the latter.

I have the first 2, and seen the 3rd, Final Destinations. I only like the first 2.

Identity was OK.

clckworang 10-06-09 03:24 PM

I agree with many already listed here, especially The Descent. A recent horror movie I really enjoyed was The Signal. Also, I thought The Ruins was a solid flick, although it seems to be a divisive movie.

kristina 10-06-09 08:38 PM

The Descent is good so is:

Drag Me To Hell
Quarantine
Suicide Club (I had nightmares after watching it)

If you're ever in for a horror comedy, check out Stump the Band.

newginafets 10-06-09 09:04 PM

it's hard to find good horror movies if it's not foreign

Giles 10-06-09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by newginafets (Post 9756408)
it's hard to find good horror movies if it's not foreign

hence why 'Tale of Two Sisters' was great and the US remake I heard sucks monkey's balls.

Giles 10-06-09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9754637)
Another vote for Quarantine.
30 Days of NIght
the Mist

that movie bored me to sleep.

RichC2 10-06-09 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9756504)
that movie bored me to sleep.

I didn't care for it either. Looked nice though.

Trevor 10-07-09 09:10 AM

The Descent is very good.

The Mist and 1408 were decent.

Can't believe so many people liked Quarantine. It would have been almost decent if we didn't have the far superior [Rec] to compare it to.

Snowmaker 10-07-09 11:08 AM

I rented Trick 'r Treat and The Descent just now. We'll see how those two pan out.

I may try to watch the B&W version of The Mist sometime this month. I also still have to watch my Poltergeist and The Thing Blu-rays.

FantasticVSDoom 10-07-09 11:12 AM

You may like Pandorum... Not a great movie, but is a very "jumpy" type movie with some tension.

dom56 10-07-09 07:04 PM

Ringu had he shaken first time seeing it, but your wife don't like subtitled. Still, this is way better than the remake IMO.

JumpCutz 10-07-09 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9757030)
Can't believe so many people liked Quarantine. It would have been almost decent if we didn't have the far superior [Rec] to compare it to.

:thumbsup: