Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else the "Go to" Movie person in High School?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was just thinking today about how I was essentially the "Go To" guy for the low-down on movies while in High School. That was how most everyone knew me above anything else that I did then, and I wasn't really known because of the people I hung out with, as I was one of those people who could hang with anyone. I was just wondering if any other fellow DVDTalker's had the same situation... If anyone wanted to know if a movie was good, they would ask me first, or if they wanted to know what was coming out soon and what the odds were that it would be a good or bad film they'd come to me. It happened all the time. I was relied on a lot that way, and I was essentially the "Movie Guy" of the school. It probably didn't hurt that most everyone knew I wanted to be a director, and because I was so involved in my media class in terms of shooting/editing videos people really knew I was serious about it.

As this is primarily a forum for serious movie fans, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. And, heck, I'm sure there's some of you that were like this at least in College with some close friends. I'd love to hear all about it.
Old 10-03-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone else the "Go to" Movie person in High School?

Definitely me in high school, no really weird stories though.

Except when my friends all decided to go see Meet the Spartans, thinking it would be funny. I told them they were going to be wasting thier money, but they went anyways.

I'm sure you all can guess how that turned out
Old 10-03-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasn't really the go to guy since no one really cares, but I made sure I informed everyone about any movie that had my interest.

But to answer your question, yes, and they called me "the movie guy".
Old 10-03-09, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was the Hong Kong action guy in HS, by senior year I was "The Movie Guy" add in that I was already on my way to film school. To this day I still champion Hard Boiled to those "Action Movie guys" that somehow NEVER see any action films outside of the US. Sadly..we never get a good version of HB here....damnit.
Old 10-03-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, that was me hands down. Still is today even at work and with my roommate, too.
Old 10-03-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hung out with a group of guys and I guess you could call us the movie guys. We were more known for acting out scenes that made us laugh but weren't intentionally funny. Like the asylum scene in that Brittany Murphy/ Michael Douglas movie, Don't Say A Word.

[Touching chest]"You wanna touch?"
"Excuse me?"
[While moving index finger with right hand raised] "I saw you looking"

Acting out stuff was the greatest.
Old 10-03-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I wasn't really the go to guy since no one really cares, but I made sure I informed everyone about any movie that had my interest.

But to answer your question, yes, and they called me "the movie guy".
Same here.
Old 10-03-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Raises hand
Old 10-03-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That was pretty much me in College. I don't think I was anyone with a "name" in High School.
Old 10-03-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

It's interesting that I was always the foremost movie expert in my smalltown high school. Then I got to college and was more or less the man in my dorm. Amongst co-workers I still am that guy. Kind of cool.
Old 10-03-09, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was and still am. It helped that I worked at a theater and watched everything before it came out.

There would be people who would ask what I thought and go see what I liked and there was a group that would go and see what I hated.
Old 10-03-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty much that guy now. My coworkers all know that i'm a big movie guy and know how I have a large DVD/Blu-ray collection.
Old 10-03-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

high school? i'm that guy now. i get calls from all my family members when they are trying to figure out who was in what movie. also the tv show guy, too. and the computer guy. and the home theater guy.
Old 10-03-09, 11:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

no .
Old 10-03-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm definitely the home theater guy and the movie guy to some nowadays. Although it pisses me off when friends offer me money to calibrate their Home Theaters and my mom has to jump in and complain about my willingness to charge them. They get spooked and I'm out $50.
Old 10-03-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread makes me feel really really old.
Old 10-04-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That was pretty much me. I got my first DVD player in 9th grade and I really started getting into movies around that time, so yea, I knew much more then the average fellow.
Old 10-04-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was in 9th grade, VCRs were top-loading and expensive. Movies on video tape were still expensive (like $90/title), so rental was the only way to go if you wanted to bring a movie home.
Old 10-04-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
When I was in 9th grade, VCRs were top-loading and expensive. Movies on video tape were still expensive (like $90/title), so rental was the only way to go if you wanted to bring a movie home.
I wasn't yet in the 9th grade but, yeah... Now where the hell did those damn kids put my rockin' chair?
Old 10-04-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad to know so many others experienced similar things. I suspected as much, and am glad I was right. Always thought it was awesome being thought of as a movie expert.

Anyway, back when I was in High School... which wasn't that long ago... I already had a massive DVD collection. Still hadn't even started with HD DVD's or Blu-ray's, those were too expensive for me then, but I was able to get a lot of DVD's over those years. It's so hard to believe looking back now that I watched all my movies on a 10" TV.
Old 10-04-09, 02:57 AM

For the most part, I was, and anyone who knows me exceedingly well would always come to me usually.
Old 10-04-09, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

In high school, the girl sitting next to me asked me about the "meaning" of EASY RIDER. Which was the "next big thing" at the time. But then my best friend in school turned me on to Sergio Leone and I went to see ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. And then A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY were revived at a Times Square theater down the block from my school (the "Fame" school). So I put aside "hippie" movies and never looked back. Also, THE WILD BUNCH so turned me on that I devoted my World History paper in my Junior year to the Mexican Revolution.
Old 10-04-09, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I still am. Seems like people think of me as the walking movie encyclopedia. I liked it
Old 10-04-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nah, it was music for me in high school. It was that time of making mix tape after mix tape of "current likes" and stuff. And yes, actual tapes....

I didn't seriously start watching movies until way after high school. Although I took video productions and directed, strange that those thoughts on directing and making came much before I got into movies in general.

Most inspiration came more from music videos (when they were still innovative and creative) and avant garde like Brakhage or Underworld videos when I was in high school.
Old 10-04-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In High School I was definitely the movie guy...then I went to University for film production and in class, EVERYONE was the movie guy - however in my residence I still held that title (my huge DVD collection helped set me apart).... and still today I have friends/family members etc. who know that I'll have all the info on any movie questions they have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.