Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel Movies Question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marvel Movies Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Marvel Movies Question

Ok so i was just thinking to myself that with the upcoming Avengers movie to be made a perfect villain in it would be Doctor Doom (and maybe a Masters of Evil team with some other great villains). So i was thinking is it possible for Marvel to put a villain in one of their movies that has already appeared in another studios hero picture (such as Doom in the Fantastic Four movies). I just thought how can a picture deal include characters such as Doom that have literally appeared in every character comic out there from Marvel?
Old 10-02-09, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Marvel Movies Question

Well for 1. It won't happen cuz...Doom is with Fox. 2. The characters more closely associated with a comic stay with that comic for the most part. Doom is an FF villain easily, not to say he wasn't to Spidey and etc but..he was mainly vs. the FF.
Old 10-02-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It just depends on how Marvel licensed out the characters and properties when setting up deals with studios. It was the same with Kingpin, who was packaged with Daredevil and went to Fox even though he's a Spider-man villain as well.

Outside of agreements being made between studios and Marvel, which is pretty much nil, it's doubtful you'll see anything until contracts expire.
Old 10-02-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Well for 1. It won't happen cuz...Doom is with Fox. 2. The characters more closely associated with a comic stay with that comic for the most part. Doom is an FF villain easily, not to say he wasn't to Spidey and etc but..he was mainly vs. the FF.
Well what i am saying is that how far do the rights to a comic book and its characters go? Doctor Doom may very well be the biggest villain for the F4, but he has been in soooooo many other comics why isn't his character incorporated into every contract for every comic book movie. At what point does a character stop being associated with a comic they have appeared in. For me, the sooner Marvel get all their comic rights back the better. Fox just screws these movies up.
Old 10-02-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well what i am saying is that how far do the rights to a comic book and its characters go?
As far as Marvel licensed it. It's highly unlikely that a license to a particular Marvel title includes the license to every character to ever appear in that book. More likely, the license includes the character rights to the main protagonists and antagonists. So Fox got FF and Dr. Doom, while Sony got Spidey and Green Goblin, etc.

Copyrights are extremely tricky situations, so it's hard to say with any certainty without knowing the details of the contracts involved. However, it's extremely unlikely that any character that appeared in one production company's films will appear in a film made by a different production company, at least until the film rights change hands again.
Old 10-02-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Marvel setup their own production company so that they could avoid "character" change issues going foward. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Punisher: War Zone were the first films independently made by Marvel and then distribution handled by omajor studios.

Previously, Marvel would only grant contractual rights to production companies who would sign exclusiviity deals with characters. Thus preventing them from appearing in other films.

I.E. The decision to include Kingpin in Daredevil was a mutual agreement between the producers of the Daredevil film and the producers of the Spider-Man films.

So while Dr. Doom is a prominent character in the Marvel universe, the character was contractually locked to Fox, 1492 Pictures, and Constantin Films. The same goes for Spider-Man which was locked to Columbia and Laura Ziskin Productions.

However, as mentioned before, since Marvel has a production company of their own. They can make the films on their own terms and interchange characters as they wish. But they still have to abide by the contracts signed in the past which is why Fox is hurrying to make another Fantastic Four film so they can continue to keep the hold on the property.

Last edited by emachine12; 10-02-09 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 01:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Marvel must be rolling in it !

Good on them they deserve it but it is a shame that it limits crossovers. I think it is better than having the same character appearing in multiple movies played by different people. Kingpin is a great character, shame he was wasted in that aweful Daredevil movie
Old 10-02-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Marvel setup their own production company so that they could avoid "character" change issues going foward. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Punisher: War Zone were the first films independently made by Marvel and then distribution handled by omajor studios.
Punisher War Zone wasn't one of Marvel's independent productions, it was made by Lionsgate and was a continuation of the contract for the Thomas Jane Punisher film.
Old 10-02-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-02-09, 03:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

not to derail, but could somebody tell me why Marvel doesn't use their opening logo like they did with "Fantastic Four" and that is to have the actual comic in the flipping motion clip? i thought it was used with all the movies, but it isn't. i think there is another then FF4, but don't remember.

i thought that was such a good idea to use for them all...