Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 1 & 2: 3D (two week engagement) Oct. 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Toy Story 1 & 2: 3D (two week engagement) Oct. 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Toy Story 1 & 2: 3D (two week engagement) Oct. 2

Originally Posted by tanman
Why only 2 weeks? You know it's going to be a big hit.
Theatrical re-releases haven't done too well in recent years. This re-release has the advantage of being a double feature and in new 3D, but Disney probably still isn't expecting a lot of business.

How hard is it to convert it to 3D?
To convert a completely CGI film to 3D isn't that difficult; they basically just have to re-render the film from a slightly different angle for the other eye. An article I read said the biggest challenge was reading/converting the original files from outdated software.

Why would they have gone through all that trouble to just show it for 2 weeks?
Well, it's a good way to promote Toy Story 3 coming out next year. Also, there's potential for re-re-release further down the road (Toy Story triple feature when 3 is released maybe?). There's also the home video market.
Old 10-03-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

man i wish my son was older. i'd love to take my kids to movies like this.
Old 10-03-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My wife, sister-in-law, and I are headed to the theater in a few minutes to watch this. Looking forward to a fun, nostalgic time.
Old 10-03-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
If the price of seeing it in 3D seems high to you, get to Target and get one of the Pixar discs with the free $14 movie money code. I did that and not only got my wife and I in for free but it took care of two presents for Christmas shopping. Someday my family will catch on that the reason that I get them DVDs all the time is because I remove the free movie money, but until then...
Wait, there's movie cash in pixar DVD's again? That would be awesome as that's how I saw Up for almost free.
Old 10-03-09, 05:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just got back, had a terrific time. You would have thought some scenes had been composed specifically for 3D! We had the Toy Story intermission which included trivia and some intersessionals. The beginning of TS2 and the entire airport scene just looked incredible in 3D, as did the scene of Buzz and crew crossing the street under the traffic cones. Well worth the $11 each we paid to see it. Got to see the new Christmas Carol trailer in 3D and the TS3 teaser, not the one with actual footage. The 3D Pixar opening with Luxo, Jr, was fun.
Old 10-03-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife and I just got back from seeing these. Unfortunately, I can't tell the 3D scenes - just doesn't work for me. I couldn't see the 3d bits in UP either.

I still enjoyed seeing both movies on the big screen although I'd really like to know how parents are instructing their kids on proper etiquette in the movie theater. We had 3 older boys who decided to sit right in front of us in the forward part of the theater, even though there were plenty of seats elsewhere. Then proceeded to talk, yell, light up their cell phones, bounce around in their chairs, and kick their friend's seat. Normally we like to sit forward in the theater, but for the 2nd movie, we switched to the section of seats on the right of the screen where noone else was sitting at all.

Michael
Old 10-03-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Wait, there's movie cash in pixar DVD's again? That would be awesome as that's how I saw Up for almost free.
'

I think it's a Target only deal again. Check for the stickers though. There were many copies without stickers. They weren't peeled off though by those who do that, because the sticker is stuck to the original shrinkwrap and then double shrinkwrapped to prevent theft I guess.
Old 10-04-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fiver
My wife and I just got back from seeing these. Unfortunately, I can't tell the 3D scenes - just doesn't work for me. I couldn't see the 3d bits in UP either.
Is it maybe a problem with the theatre you're going to or does your wife see the 3D no problem? Both of these movies (Up, Toy Story double feature) don't have 3D scenes or bits, the entirety of them is in 3D.
Old 10-04-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fiver
You should get your eyes checked. And I am not joshing you...I know people who can't see the 3-D in these types of movies because of eye related problems, such as a lazy eye.
Old 10-04-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
You should get your eyes checked. And I am not joshing you...I know people who can't see the 3-D in these types of movies because of eye related problems, such as a lazy eye.
Or you're not sitting somewhere in the middle. If you sit off to the sides, your experience is definitely affected.
Old 10-04-09, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Just got back, had a terrific time. You would have thought some scenes had been composed specifically for 3D! We had the Toy Story intermission which included trivia and some intersessionals. The beginning of TS2 and the entire airport scene just looked incredible in 3D, as did the scene of Buzz and crew crossing the street under the traffic cones. Well worth the $11 each we paid to see it. Got to see the new Christmas Carol trailer in 3D and the TS3 teaser, not the one with actual footage. The 3D Pixar opening with Luxo, Jr, was fun.
That's unfortunate about TS3. Every hard drive came with the new trailer and it should have been attached to your print. And it looks fantastic too.
Old 10-04-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scotts35
That's unfortunate about TS3. Every hard drive came with the new trailer and it should have been attached to your print. And it looks fantastic too.
The Toy Story 3 trailer was really fantastic... the CGI upgrade over the previous films looks fantastic.

I really like the idea that the film is coming out 10 years after the previous one and follows the same timeline... Andy going from 8 to 18.

I really hope they also include some of the content created for the non-Pixar (Circle 7 Animation) version of the film on the eventual DVD/Blu-ray which had a totally different storyline (having to do with Buzz Lightyear being recalled, iirc) and was shelved after Pixar was acquired by Disney in 2006. Not sure how far they got into production, but I think they had at least begun creating animation.

Last edited by RobLutter; 10-04-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Went earlier today. I had never seen TS2 before so that was a nice treat. Thank god they played the end credits so I was able to get a drink and came back just in time for the actual intermission.

It's sad they don't do many double features these days. I remember the old Bremen theater in Tinley park Il. would do a new double feature every other week. Those were some good times
Old 10-04-09, 08:55 PM

I went to a noon showing yesterday. It was great to see both movies on the big screen again, but the three hour running time was pushing the limit for me as far as 3D goes. I've seen a few 3D movies at the same theater and never had a problem, but after this double feature I had a headache that lasted into the evening. I hope it was just a coincidence.

Also, I didn't get any TS3 footage (teaser or trailer). We did get the introduction and intermission though.
Old 10-04-09, 09:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

my lazy eye is my left eye, so I have to sit a certain distance where I can concentrate and not strain my eye too much, but for the three hour marathon, I had no problems and unlike some IMAX 3D films that have incurred headaches - this didn't.
Old 10-04-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Just got back from it, had a great time. Intermission was great as well, especially the commentary from the toys. The TS3 trailer was attached right before TS2 started for my showing.
Old 10-04-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Or you're not sitting somewhere in the middle. If you sit off to the sides, your experience is definitely affected.
Thanks - I will keep this in mind when my daughter and I go, as I have yet to see a film in Digital 3-D.

By the way - how crowded were everyone's theaters?

Last edited by B.A.; 10-04-09 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't really see 3D either, I remember when I saw Captain EO and I didn't think it was such a big deal, my right eye is all messed up...
Old 10-05-09, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Thanks - I will keep this in mind when my daughter and I go, as I have yet to see a film in Digital 3-D.

By the way - how crowded were everyone's theaters?

for the first show last Friday - 11am there were 5 adults and 2 cute non-annoying kids
Old 10-05-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went with the girlfriend Saturday night, it was AWESOME.

But we only got the teaser for Toy Story 3, I feel gipped.
Old 10-05-09, 11:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I enjoyed it - but word of warning: The kids DO get restless by the halfway point of TOY STORY 2.
Old 10-05-09, 02:14 PM

Is the intermission for the double feature in 3D also?
Old 10-05-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going today, a local theater is showing it and there is a good chance they will show the 3D version of the Avatar trailer beforehand.
Old 10-05-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'm going today, a local theater is showing it and there is a good chance they will show the 3D version of the Avatar trailer beforehand.
which theater?
Old 10-05-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen the Avatar trailer in 3D before a few movies, but Toy Story was definitely not one of them

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.