Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 1 & 2: 3D (two week engagement) Oct. 2

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Toy Story 1 & 2: 3D (two week engagement) Oct. 2

Old 10-01-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Toy Story 1 & 2: 3D (two week engagement) Oct. 2

I think the gf and I might be catching this tomorrow night. I love Pixar and the Toy Stories. As to why 3-D for only a 2 week engagement, I think they are getting a 3-D Blu-ray release next year.
Old 10-01-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When you slap a '2 weeks only' tag on it, it makes people rush out to see it right away (when the studios get a bigger percentage of the ticket price)... Look at the grosses of Hannah Montana 3D Concert that was a limited engagement vs. Jonas Bros. which didn't have the '2 WEEKS ONLY!!!!!!' hype attached to it... hell, it's a great strategy IMO, makes it seem more like an EVENT. Same thing is happening with Michael Jackson's "This Is It"... of course, Disney and Sony can EXTEND the engagement after the two weeks if they choose and just throw up a 'Due to Popular Demand' tag on the ads... it's a win win situation.
Old 10-01-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Ah..good point. But I think Toy Story has a wider appeal then the movies you referenced. Of course these are previously released so maybe that contributes too.
Old 10-01-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
That sucks. The whole point of the intermission is that you can get up and take a leak without missing anything.
thats what the end credits are for. (since there are no outtakes and what not in 1, go then,
Old 10-01-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
How hard is it to convert it to 3D??
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...FXgiQD9B2FASO3

Getting 1995's Woody and Buzz back to the big screen wasn't easy. Even though the original movies were made in three dimensions, it took Whitehill and his team of 20 artists nearly 18 months to update the two "Toy Story" films.

The first challenge was technical: Extracting digital files from 15-year-old software. The second was creative, Whitehill said: "How do we want to give the audience a rich experience without eye strain and to capture the heart of these movies?"

Dimensionalized, "Toy Story" shows how far the fall is when Woody tumbles from the bed to the floor and just how cavernous a child's toy box can be. The aim was to create "a concave experience, one that draws you into the story and into the imagery, instead of a convex experience that pokes at you, Whitehill said.

His team went through the two films shot by shot, digitally adding a "right-eye camera" to each. Then they carefully adjusted the speed of the edits and depth of the images to make each movie easy on the eyes — especially given the length of the two films combined.

"The amount of 3-D people enjoy is somewhat subjective," Whitehill said. "But a headache is not subjective."
Old 10-01-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdc3000
When you slap a '2 weeks only' tag on it, it makes people rush out to see it right away (when the studios get a bigger percentage of the ticket price)... Look at the grosses of Hannah Montana 3D Concert that was a limited engagement vs. Jonas Bros. which didn't have the '2 WEEKS ONLY!!!!!!' hype attached to it... hell, it's a great strategy IMO, makes it seem more like an EVENT. Same thing is happening with Michael Jackson's "This Is It"... of course, Disney and Sony can EXTEND the engagement after the two weeks if they choose and just throw up a 'Due to Popular Demand' tag on the ads... it's a win win situation.
Disney has an "extra week" ready to go if the demand is there.

When it comes to 3D showings, the studio makes deals with both the 3D exhibitors (i.e. RealD and Dolby Digital Cinema) alongside the theaters on getting "exclusivity" for their films so no other 3D releases can come out alongside them (the reasoning for Final Destination and it's release date).

Disney has screens confirmed and ready to go for double feature tomorrow, but it also has those same screens ready for when it sends the re-re-re-re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas to theaters on October 23rd which will be getting a larger release this time due to more 3D venues being available plus it's the 15th anniversary. If this is a success this weekend, you can guarantee a third week.
Old 10-02-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Disney has screens confirmed and ready to go for double feature tomorrow, but it also has those same screens ready for when it sends the re-re-re-re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas to theaters on October 23rd which will be getting a larger release this time due to more 3D venues being available plus it's the 15th anniversary. If this is a success this weekend, you can guarantee a third week.
So, do you think if TS1&2 3D is a success, TNBC will be bumped completely, or will it end up sharing some of its screens with the extended TS engagement?
Old 10-02-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I am going to take a half day on Monday so I can see this with my 5 year old. I think he will love it. I do have one question for those who have see it. Is the entirety of both movies in 3-D or only parts?
Old 10-02-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I do have one question for those who have see it. Is the entirety of both movies in 3-D or only parts?
I haven't seen it yet, but all the reviews and news articles have indicated that the entirety of both movies are in 3D.
Old 10-02-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm wondering how comfortable my eyes will be, placing the 3-D glasses over my own glasses... I need contacts...

I've never seen the Disney 3-D presentations. Is it much better than normal 3-D projection? I hated watching Spy Kids 3D in the theater, and I think that was the last time I really tried this stuff out seriously.

I really want to go see these. Two of my favorites... oh, and another silly question, but how much are the tickets? I assumed they would be normal prices but I saw someone mention $10. Are these priced a specific amount at all theaters?
Old 10-02-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
I've never seen the Disney 3-D presentations. Is it much better than normal 3-D projection? I hated watching Spy Kids 3D in the theater, and I think that was the last time I really tried this stuff out seriously.
I didn't see it in theaters, but I believe SK3D used the red/blue anaglyph type of glasses, which is probably the worse method of 3D.

The newer 3D films are projected digitally and use polarization to separate the images (i.e. non-colorized glasses). This provides better separation, better colors, and less eye strain.

How much are the tickets? I assumed they would be normal prices but I saw someone mention $10. Are these priced a specific amount at all theaters?
3D movies typically cost more, and this one may cost even more than usual due to being a double feature. Call your local theater or check Fandango or Movietickets.com for ticket prices.
Old 10-02-09, 12:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm wondering how comfortable my eyes will be, placing the 3-D glasses over my own glasses... I need contacts...

I really want to go see these. Two of my favorites... oh, and another silly question, but how much are the tickets? I assumed they would be normal prices but I saw someone mention $10. Are these priced a specific amount at all theaters?
I wear glasses and have no problem fitting the RealD glasses over my own. It's not as comfortable as it would be for non-glasses wearers, of course, but I get used to it after a minute and forget they are there after that.

The RealD glasses are worlds better than the cheap cardboard ones for Spy Kids 3D, both in terms comfort AND viewing. The downside is they are nicer quality plastic glasses and, thus, there is a 2 or 3 dollar surcharge for shows that require them.
Old 10-02-09, 12:59 PM

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I asked my wife if she wants to go and she says not really. Turns out she thought Toy Story was okay and she isn't sure if she's seen Toy Story 2 or not. I think we need couples therapy.
Old 10-02-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys! I hope I can go this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing these on the big screen again!
Old 10-02-09, 02:35 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Disney has an "extra week" ready to go if the demand is there.

When it comes to 3D showings, the studio makes deals with both the 3D exhibitors (i.e. RealD and Dolby Digital Cinema) alongside the theaters on getting "exclusivity" for their films so no other 3D releases can come out alongside them (the reasoning for Final Destination and it's release date).

And this completely SUCKS for those of us who had plans to take their kids to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3D for their birthday. You know this will get extended to 10/23/2009 when Nightmare hits and then we still won't be able to see Cloudy. This makes me very angry.

Yes I know this does not belong in this thread, my apologies.
Old 10-02-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love to see Toy Story 2 in 3D but the first movie's always been one of the lesser Pixar films in my opinion.
Old 10-02-09, 03:29 PM
Banned

I want to take my kids to this! We love this movie!!!
Old 10-02-09, 03:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
I attended an early screening of both features last Saturday. The theater was having a slight problem with downloading the second feature which I thought was strange, because shouldn't both features have been downloaded in advance? The problem was because the theater was set up to show Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3-D, I do believe.

So what should have been a 10-minute intermission turned into 25 to thirty minutes.

Plus there was nothing shown during the intermission, just a black screen. But, if what I read in USA Today is correct, the "true" intermission will be five or 10 minutes in length, and will feature an exclusive peek at Toy Story 3 as well as trivia and scenes of the characters talking.

No outtakes were added at the end of Toy Story but the outtakes at the end of Toy Story 2 are intact.

My thoughts about the limited engagement can be found in a small piece called Never Leave a Good Toy Behind.
yeah so the 10 minute intermisson has Toy Story quizes/facts with the toy story characters speaking from the rear speakers which is quite fun, but yes, if you do have to go relieve one's self you will miss stuff. The Toy Story 3 trailer (with actual footage) is before the two movies. As for the whole experience, it was a blast, and with the extra uprezzed picture qaulity to LCoS 4K it looked fantastic, the audio on Toy Story 1 was amazing it sounded remixed - there was a lot more bass than what I remembered, when a scene called for it - notably the bowling ball scene where it falls on Woody's head - THUD - ew, ouch, that sounded like it ought to hurt.
Old 10-02-09, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
Why only 2 weeks? You know it's going to be a big hit.

How hard is it to convert it to 3D? Why would they have gone through all that trouble to just show it for 2 weeks?

I think they should have done a wide true release around christmas. How perfect would that have been?
but obviousily 'Disney's Christmas Carol' would seem out of place if it weren't released around the holidays... ya think?
Old 10-02-09, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd love to see Toy Story 2 in 3D but the first movie's always been one of the lesser Pixar films in my opinion.
what's interesting to note from a technical standpoint, is that the advancing of computer animation from Toy Story 1 to the second film when viewed back to back is that the human imagery and the look of the two dogs is night and day, with 2 with the obvious improvements.
Old 10-02-09, 04:59 PM

and here's DVDTalk's own review of the double feaure:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/39807...ouble-feature/
Old 10-02-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The theater I went to this morning didn't show the intermission. It was five minutes of the lights on, radio playing and then it went right into Toy Story 2.

It was great getting to see the films again on the big screen, but I wasn't impressed by the 3D. It was a more "immersive" similar to Up, but the first film is where the 3D look the best. Nothing in the sequel really stood out to me until the climax at the airport.
Old 10-02-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The theatre I saw this at had a digital projector well in need of service - the 'left eye' image had all sorts of red/green banding/halos and some scenes looked like someone had overlayed red blinds over the image - these horrible horizontal lines. Complained but they really didn't/couldn't fix it. I saw The Final Destination there a few weeks ago and it was fine, so they've either fucked it up recently or it was more apparent with the computer animation (saw Meatballs somewhere else)... so unfortunately I really didn't get to enjoy the movies because I kept staring at the parts of the image that looked 'off'.

Also, tons of young kids there who clearly weren't ready to sit through 3 hours of entertainment - halfway through Toy Story 2 all the kids started going squirrelly... running up and down aisles, shouting and throwing stuff. Lots of "I don't want to wear these anymore!" and then the sound of 3D glasses being chucked. I think I'll wait and try to catch this again as late as possible at a different theatre. The 3D isn't the eye popping type, but I really like the way it brings you into the world and these are two movies I love to revisit.
Old 10-03-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watching Toy Story 1 on DVD right now. Since I have the Ultimate Toy Box I don't think I'll go to the theatre.
Old 10-03-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed seeing both of these on the big screen again! It has been a while since I've truly just sat down and watched both movies, so it was a great experience to revisit both films. I liked the intermission countdown and our theater had perfect showing without any picture problems.

I think my only gripe was that they had to show 25 minutes of previews before the show started. With an nearly 3 hour presentation that was an awfully long sit. Like the previous poster, I could hear the kids getting a little antsy during "Toy Story 2." Even though it would've cost me more, I think the original plan of releasing these separately would've been more idea for a kid friendly showing.

That's just a minor gripe for me. It was really funny how long the bathroom lines were after both movies. Most people stayed until the very end because of the 2nd movies bloopers. I highly recommend seeing before it leaves. Even though I have the ultimate Toy Box and the individual releases, I felt it was worth it. If the price of seeing it in 3D seems high to you, get to Target and get one of the Pixar discs with the free $14 movie money code. I did that and not only got my wife and I in for free but it took care of two presents for Christmas shopping. Someday my family will catch on that the reason that I get them DVDs all the time is because I remove the free movie money, but until then...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.