Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
12.77%
24.11%
40.43%
12.06%
7.09%
1.42%
0.71%
0%
0.71%
0%
0.71%
I won’t nut up or shut up and see this Zombie Movie of the Week!
0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 03:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Please continue pre-hype discussion here.

Movie:
"Zombieland" (2009) (Starring Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin, Amber Heard)

Release Date:
10/02/2009

Rating:
R (for horror violence/gore and language)

Running Time:
81 min. (1h. 21m.)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:191 Rotten:22 (90% as of 10/07/09)
RT Link...

Info:
IMDb Link...

Trailer:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/fMc_srIUdCPtnfW32wby1Q"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/fMc_srIUdCPtnfW32wby1Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-07-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 06:20 PM

Re: Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

reviews thus far are glowing. 18 fresh vs. 1 rotten. not too bad so far.

looking very forward to this. more eager for a movie in a long time. Shaun of the Dead has been one of the most surprisingly enjoyable movies i've seen this decade. it blew me away when i first saw it. been trying to find a similar hor-com since with disappointments in Fido, Black Sheep, etc... this one seems brimming with all the elements i love.
Old 10-02-09, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was weary going into the theater, but the chance to see it for free at a midnight screening was too tempting. I went to a rather large theater, and it was probably 90% full, and I had a blast. I think this is a movie that is enhanced with a good large audience. Every one was on the same page, and had a great time. And that cameo was epic.
Old 10-02-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Great movie. The wife and I had a blast watching it. First showing of the day (11:30am) had a decent crowd too. The cameo had me crying with laughter.
Old 10-02-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Reposting my review from previous thread]

I saw this last night -- and I know I seem to be square in the minority -- but I left the theater very underwhelmed. I suppose I had high expectations because everyone was saying how funny this was -- but apart from a few moments here and there, I really didn't laugh that much. And the rest of the theater seemed to be in my corner.

The film came off like a classic case of trying too hard, like a hipster version of a zombie comedy. Eisenberg's character was likable enough, but they didn't play up his neurosis enough to make him particularly memorable. Harrelson was the stand-out for me...whenever he was on-screen I couldn't take my eyes off him. He was the most entertaining part IMO. I wish the entire film was about him.

Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin just...existed. I picked up only the faintest whiff of characterization from them and no sisterly bond at all between the two.

The big cameo had its moments but the entire scene felt forced to me, like "We've got this guy, so let's shove this into the movie." The picture essentially stops while he does his thing, and then it resumes where it left off.

It's all well and good and it apparently has its rah-rah supporters, but color me "eh."
Old 10-02-09, 02:59 PM

have tickets for tonight. hope it is packed and can't friggin' wait!!!
Old 10-02-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the first showing of this earlier today, and I loved it. It's no award winner or anything, but by God, it's one of the most fun and entertaining movies that I've seen in a long time.

I just hate that Letterman and Woody totally spoiled the cameo on the show last night, ugh! I went all this time not knowing what to expect, and they just flat out mentioned it on the show last night.

The cameo was great, don't get me wrong, I just wish I hadn't known about it already going in.

Last edited by Brent L; 10-02-09 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great movie, moved fast, seemed almost too short, The cameo was AWESOME as was the ghostbusters stuff, I LOVED that stuff. the Amusment park stuff was fun at the end, but The Sisters made such dumb choices there and some logic holes there but it was a fun movie. 8/10

there needs to be a tv show on HBO or something that takes place after a Zombie Apocalypse though, I want a Zombie movie to be like the book Day by Day Armagedden and I see this working as a film but better a Series.
Old 10-02-09, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
I saw the first showing of this earlier today, and I loved it. It's no award winner or anything, but by God, it's one of the most fun and entertaining movies that I've seen in a long time.

I just hate that Letterman and Woody totally spoiled the cameo on the show last night, ugh! I went all this time not knowing what to expect, and they just flat out mentioned it on the show last night.

The cameo was great, don't get me wrong, I just wish I hadn't known about it already going in.
i actually had him or her in the credits in first post until i realized it was a spoiler.
Old 10-02-09, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by maingon
there needs to be a tv show on HBO or something that takes place after a Zombie Apocalypse though, I want a Zombie movie to be like the book Day by Day Armagedden and I see this working as a film but better a Series.
Reese and Wernick (the writers) were on AOTS the other day and said this actually started out as a tv show and shopped it around to all the major stations and every one of them passed on it.
Old 10-02-09, 06:25 PM

Funny movie. Great cameo. Not enough zombies at the beginning. That's why it gets 3.5 stars from me. I want to see a hoard of zombies!

I wish WWZ would get made soon. I need an epic Zombie war movie!
Old 10-02-09, 08:08 PM

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but have you heard about The Walking Dead? Frank Darabont is writing and directing a series for AMC based on Robert Kirkman's zombie comic series. I think there is a thread in the TV forum.
Old 10-02-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked it but it could have used some more zombies. Zombies were basically in the opening and closing. It was fun and probably will pick it up on BD.
Old 10-02-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it with a good crowd tonight and loved it! Definitely one of the most "fun" movies of all time.
Old 10-03-09, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd say it goes neck and neck with 'The Hangover' as funniest movie of the year so far
Old 10-03-09, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back.

Meh.

It was no Transformers 2
Old 10-03-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. This movie is a blast! Woody Harrelson is at the top of his game(pretty much channeling Mickey Knox as a good guy) and every actor gave a solid performance. I will agree that there wasn't as much zombie action as I would have liked, but I really didn't care because the in between moments were so fun. The cameo alone was worth the price of admission, and the post credits bit was superb. Go see this movie now and enjoy yourself!
Old 10-03-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it earlier today, LOVED it. Just great from the opening credits onto the end of the credits. Could not stop laughing at the cameo, and it's rare that a movie with this much of a horrific subtext and so much gore could have so much warmth. Woody Harrelson hasn't ruled this much since Natural Born Killers. Repeat viewings will tell if it's better than Shaun of the Dead, but for now, this was utterly fantastic. Will definitely see it again if there's a chance.

Spoiler:
Two things:

1. Bill Murray's zombie makeup and Columbus accidentally shooting him KILLED me. Same thing with the weed-induced "Ghostbusters" game Tallahassee and Wichita play with him. What set me over the edge though was Murray dying and Little Rock asking him if he had any regrets, to which he softly says, "Garfield."

2. I'd LOVE to see a sequel.

Anyone notice the Natural Born Killers nod at that Native American antique shop?

That said, I hope it's a huge hit, and I hope Ruben Fleischer has an awesome career ahead of him. Great soundtrack too.
Old 10-03-09, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Saw it earlier today, LOVED it. Just great from the opening credits onto the end of the credits. Could not stop laughing at the cameo, and it's rare that a movie with this much of a horrific subtext and so much gore could have so much warmth. Woody Harrelson hasn't ruled this much since Natural Born Killers. Repeat viewings will tell if it's better than Shaun of the Dead, but for now, this was utterly fantastic. Will definitely see it again if there's a chance.

Spoiler:
Two things:

1. Bill Murray's zombie makeup and Columbus accidentally shooting him KILLED me. Same thing with the weed-induced "Ghostbusters" game Tallahassee and Wichita play with him. What set me over the edge though was Murray dying and Little Rock asking him if he had any regrets, to which he softly says, "Garfield."

2. I'd LOVE to see a sequel.

Anyone notice the Natural Born Killers nod at that Native American antique shop?

That said, I hope it's a huge hit, and I hope Ruben Fleischer has an awesome career ahead of him. Great soundtrack too.
Yeah, loved it as well... And for the spoiler
Spoiler:
I havent laughed like that in a long time... Eventhough you knew it was going to happen, when he shot Murray, I lost it. I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard. Same with the scene after the credits
I cant wait to see this one again!!
Old 10-03-09, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
I don't want to take this too far off topic, but have you heard about The Walking Dead? Frank Darabont is writing and directing a series for AMC based on Robert Kirkman's zombie comic series. I think there is a thread in the TV forum.
yeah love that series, didnt know about the series awesome
Old 10-03-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's was fun but that's it. I wonder what the other rules are.

They keep on repeating rules #1-4 out of 31 rules if i'm not mistaken.

it's the best average movie.
Old 10-03-09, 07:04 AM

Great movie, moved fast, seemed almost too short, The cameo was AWESOME as was the ghostbusters stuff, I LOVED that stuff. the Amusment park stuff was fun at the end, but The Sisters made such dumb choices there and some logic holes there but it was a fun movie. 8/10
Spoiler:
The sisters lighting up the amusement park for example.

Being that short is a plus imo. I didn't get bored or feel it dragging at all. I thought it was good. Not sure if its better than Shaun of the Dead though.

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
I liked it but it could have used some more zombies. Zombies were basically in the opening and closing. It was fun and probably will pick it up on BD.
I agree but many zombie movies are like that.

Last edited by sirbrady; 10-03-09 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 10:17 AM

My main reason for seeing this is because of Jesse Eisenberg. Sure, he plays the same sort of nerdy character in every movie but I can relate to that personally so I have no problem with it.

I was hesitant about wanting to see the movie itself. The previews made it out to be a zombie comedy that would for sure entertain (or freak out) toddlers... and I thought the zombies themselves would be too infantile to be able to entertain people my age.
Well a screening for this movie came about on Tuesday. Just as was the screening for Whip It, the screening for Zombieland also was sold out. The audience really replied to the material. If I could only remember it, there was one lone Woody Harrelson joke that made the audience clap and cheer.
The handling of how the zombie rules came onscreen was very clever. The zombies themselves would've probably not scared even a fly, so it was smart to have Woody Harrelson talk to them and deter me from being bored out of my skull by a run-of-the-mill-looking zombie.

I would definitly consider buying this on DVD.
Old 10-03-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Instant classic. Loved every minute of it. Like someone mentioned above, it's a total blast from start to finish.
Old 10-03-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't know if I need to spoilerize this or not, but
Spoiler:
since we never learn Tallahassee's real name, did anyone else get the vibe that one could assume that he might be Mickey Knox? Granted, the whole bit about how he used to have a son kind of shoots that argument down, but if I recall at the end of NBK Knox had a change of heart and decided he wouldn't kill anymore. Of course I really couldn't see Mickey Knox tolerating Columbus and other stuff the way he did, so doubtful. This kind of falls in line with whether or not Ordell Robbe is actually Jules Winfield or the character Sean Connery played in The Rock is meant to be James Bond.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.