DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   To hell with IMAX and 3D, bring on planetarium movies! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/561775-hell-imax-3d-bring-planetarium-movies.html)

toddly6666 09-20-09 11:11 PM

To hell with IMAX and 3D, bring on planetarium movies!

http://www.citypass.com/citypass/ima...ws/journey.jpg

I just saw a planetarium show this weekend at the Natural History Museum in NYC. Damn, planetariums kick ass now! The last time I went to a planetarium was when I was a little kid in the 1980s. A lot has changed since then!

1. What are the chances of a regular movie getting created for planetarium viewings?

2. Can 3D work in a planetarium movie?

As I was watching this star show, I was just thinking...

James Cameron's THE SILVER SURFER shown in Planetarium HD-3D!

http://www.poster.net/silver-surfer/...el-3700369.jpg

I know it's expensive to own and upkeep planetarium projectors, but damn, these museums are raking it in! Aren't the museum profits huge? $25 for adults. $14 for children. Each show 30 minutes. These shows must be making thousands of dollars per day!

Sonic 09-21-09 12:29 AM

Re: To hell with IMAX and 3D, bring on planetarium movies!

So one has to look up to see the movie?

What if they throw u a popcorn when you sleeping and you choke on it and die?

RocShemp 09-21-09 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic
What if they throw u a popcorn when you sleeping and you choke on it and die?

That's what you get for watching a bad movie. :p

J/K ;)

Matthew Chmiel 09-21-09 01:59 AM

I just want to see a goddamn Pink Floyd laser light show in a planetarium and I haven't had that chance yet. :thmbsdwn:

How much could it cost to put a CD of Dark Side of the Moon on and shoot some fucking lasers? It's a cash cow!

Ash Ketchum 09-21-09 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9721667)
I just saw a planetarium show this weekend at the Natural History Museum in NYC. Damn, planetariums kick ass now! The last time I went to a planetarium was when I was a little kid in the 1980s. A lot has changed since then!

1. What are the chances of a regular movie getting created for planetarium viewings?

2. Can 3D work in a planetarium movie?

I know it's expensive to own and upkeep planetarium projectors, but damn, these museums are raking it in! Aren't the museum profits huge? $25 for adults. $14 for children. Each show 30 minutes. These shows must be making thousands of dollars per day!

That's the selling point for me. I don't think I'd want to sit in such a venue for much longer than 30 min. (And I've seen IMAX films at AMNH, but none in 3-D...I don't think they've ever shown 3-D there. The IMAX films shown there are generally short.)

If Cameron's AVATAR were only 30 minutes, I wouldn't be dreading it so much. But 3 hours of that dreck is truly daunting. If more films were 30 minutes, I wouldn't mind them so much. (UP, for instance, would have made a perfect 30-min. movie. All they would have had to do was cut out that little fat bastard who accompanies the old man on the trip and those annoying talking dogs.)

Why couldn't the studios make an animated superhero/sci-fi movie for such venues that would only be 30 min.?

Dr. DVD 09-21-09 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9721871)
short.)

If Cameron's AVATAR were only 30 minutes, I wouldn't be dreading it so much. But 3 hours of that dreck is truly daunting.

Avatar is going to be 3 friggin hours? Does Cameron honestly think people have that much patience with a movie of that nature?

My thoughts on the subject, I have seen a Pink Floyd show at a Planetarium and it is worth it. In terms of regular movies, I don't know, neck might get tired. I actually think that instead of expanding IMAX they should look into bringing back CINERAMA.

Giles 09-21-09 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 9722101)
Avatar is going to be 3 friggin hours? Does Cameron honestly think people have that much patience with a movie of that nature?

My thoughts on the subject, I have seen a Pink Floyd show at a Planetarium and it is worth it. In terms of regular movies, I don't know, neck might get tired. I actually think that instead of expanding IMAX they should look into bringing back CINERAMA.

I saw one in Toronto and thought it was a blast.

tanman 09-21-09 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9721871)
That's the selling point for me. I don't think I'd want to sit in such a venue for much longer than 30 min. (And I've seen IMAX films at AMNH, but none in 3-D...I don't think they've ever shown 3-D there. The IMAX films shown there are generally short.)

If Cameron's AVATAR were only 30 minutes, I wouldn't be dreading it so much. But 3 hours of that dreck is truly daunting. If more films were 30 minutes, I wouldn't mind them so much. (UP, for instance, would have made a perfect 30-min. movie. All they would have had to do was cut out that little fat bastard who accompanies the old man on the trip and those annoying talking dogs.)

Why couldn't the studios make an animated superhero/sci-fi movie for such venues that would only be 30 min.?

If you and chrissc77 ever collided there would be a massive explosion that would take out this whole solar system.

Ash Ketchum 09-21-09 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 9722175)
If you and chrissc77 ever collided there would be a massive explosion that would take out this whole solar system.

Now, I didn't say I wanted my R-rated movies to be 30 min. Esp. not when they have Jason Statham or Megan Fox in them. (Although, unlike Chris, my limit on such films is closer to 90 min.)