Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hereafter (Eastwood, 2010): Matt Damon in supernatural thriller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hereafter (Eastwood, 2010): Matt Damon in supernatural thriller

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hereafter (Eastwood, 2010): Matt Damon in supernatural thriller

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Eastwood? Supernatural?

Yeah, I'm there.
I don't want to burst your bubble but this really isn't a supernatural tale or a 'Sixth Sense' style number & it really would be advisable NOT to go into the film thinking that's what you're going to get. If you do you're likely to be disappointed. From what we know it appears to be very much a tender spiritual drama about three characters seeking an answer about the afterlife.
Old 09-11-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used t be a part of London Undergrounds film office before Clint filmed his scenes there. Sadly I couldn't get in for this job but everyone said how awesome he was and posed for a great picture with them.
Old 09-11-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really not as high on Eastwood like many others are, I still haven't gotten my 2 hours back for Gran Torino and Invictus looked like manipulative Oscar bait crap. I will wait for reviews and even then I will more than likely wait for it to come on HBO.
Old 09-11-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm really not as high on Eastwood like many others are, I still haven't gotten my 2 hours back for Gran Torino and Invictus looked like manipulative Oscar bait crap. I will wait for reviews and even then I will more than likely wait for it to come on HBO.
Excellent, let us know whether you see it on HBO or DVD.
Old 10-22-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All his movies deal with death and the 'ghosts' of the past, in Hereafter the themes are explored directly. I think in a way it is litmus test of the audience, because it doesn't deal with death in the context of a thriller or genre flick. it asks you to accept what is on the screen, so many people won't be able to tolerate it. (and some of it is contrived in the worst clint eastwood way-though not nearly as much as INVICTUS) overall it was a very thoughtful, soulful movie, Clint's best since his war flicks in '06. It reminded me why I look forward to them every year. Matt Damon was great in it as well
Old 10-23-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from it. I wasn't impressed with it at all as opposed to the people who I saw it with. Damon and DeFrance were pretty good, but I thought 10-15 minutes could have easily been shaved off of it. A lot of cliches and manufactured emotion.
Old 10-23-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Death: it's always there, waiting for you, waiting for us all. Some of your loved ones will surely die before you do, and leave you in unexpected ways, leaving unresolved issues stemming from such relationships. George (Matt Damon) is a psychic, bless/cursed with the ability to connect with people and their loved ones in the hereafter upon their deaths. George struggles with his "gift" which sabotages his own inter-personal connections, making for a lonely life. Marie, a French journalist with a rising star in the news show arena, has her own recent experiences with death, and her struggles to deal with it exact a professional cost. Marcus, an English boy, also touched by an unexpected death and becomes psychologically adrift from the event after his home life has had the rug pullled out from under him.

This, perhaps, is Clint Eastwood's most "European"-flavored piece of filmmaking, and it's not just about the locales, but the style, the pacing, the flow of the various plotlines that intertwine and propel themselves at the pace of living. It's one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" type of film that feels a bit on a slow side, but it does have a nice, mellow, but satisfying ending for a topic that seldom satisfies anyone. It's not a frenetic ball of cinematic energy, but rather it just peels away, very methodically, layers of vulnerabilities until each character's truth finds its own way through. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it'll give you something to mull about afterwards.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 10-23-10, 03:34 PM

It was unnecessarily long and at times a little boring. During my matinee showing with about 12 others there were at least 3 people who walked out and didn't return. Out of the 3 storylines the only one I was remotely interested in was Matt Damon's character. If they had focused most or all of the movie on him I think it would have been more enjoyable. Ultimately though, there just wasn't anything or anybody in the movie to care about.
Old 10-23-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I love Eastwood, but thought I was the only one who hated "Gran Torino". "Invictus" wasn't a bad film, but it was pretty boring.
Old 10-23-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back from this movie with the wife. The local paper gave this picture a 9. Definately generous. This was a decent movie but not great. The Damon scenes were best. Somewhere I read this a being a supernatural thriller. Other than the opening scene there was nothing thrilling. Pretty much deep dark drama. I'll put this in my queue for BB but it'll stay a rental. Don't think I'll ever need to own this film.
Old 03-17-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Just got back from this movie with the wife. The local paper gave this picture a 9. Definately generous. This was a decent movie but not great. The Damon scenes were best.
Yeah, I just saw this and was ultimately disappointed as I've mostly loved Eastwood's recent works. I thought all the acting was great and the concept was interesting but none of it really came together.

Spoiler:
Also, by the third act when all three storylines intertwined, it all seemed forced not to mention, with about 20-minutes still left, it was telestrated where the story was going as everyone would just so happen to run into each other at the book fair.

Speaking of which, since the kid seemed to be prone to running away for hours at a time (not to mention stealing from them), why did his foster parents leave him out their sites?