DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Trek 2 (Abrams, Stardate 3141.9) ---> News, casting, etc... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/561681-star-trek-2-abrams-stardate-3141-9-news-casting-etc.html)

OldBoy 09-18-09 01:10 PM

Star Trek 2 (Abrams, Stardate 3141.9) ---> News, casting, etc...

Looks like new one is slated for an already crowded Summer 2011 release. Possible story could be very interesting if they can somehow make it relevant to "our" society and substitute Klingons for Al-Queda.
Starfleet goes Guantanamo? 'Star Trek' team hints that the next film will reflect contemporary war issues

I was in Vancouver visiting the set of "Fringe" (you'll see that story here on Thursday) and caught up with two of the show's key creators, J.J. Abrams and Roberto Orci, who are also squarely at the center of the "Star Trek" universe now. They had great success with the revival of the grand old Starfleet mythology with Abrams directing and Orci co-writing (along with Alex Kurtzman) and I had to ask about their plans for a follow-up film, which will have Damon Lindelof added to the writing team and is aimed at a summer 2011 stardate at theaters.

Abrams spoke about the general creative imperatives for the story while Orci hinted that we might be seeing clear metaphors for modern geo-political concerns in the story about ongoing mission of the Starship Enterprise. First, here's what Abrams told me:

"The ambition for a sequel to 'Star Trek' is to make a movie that's worthy of the audience and not just another movie, you know, just a second movie that feels tacked on. The first movie was so concerned with just setting up the characters -- their meeting each and galvanizing that family -- that in many ways a sequel will have a very different mission. it needs to do what [the late 'Trek' creator Gene] Roddenberry did so well, which is allegory. It needs to tell a story that has connection to what is familiar and what is relevant. It also needs to tell it in a spectacular way that hides the machinery and in a primarily entertaining and hopefully moving story. There needs to be relevance, yes, and that doesn't mean it should be pretentious. If there are simple truths -- truths connected to what we live -- that elevates any story -- that's true with any story."

Here's what Orci had to say:

"We’ve literally had two meetings now. We haven’t decided anything but we’re starting to circle around some ideas. We got a lot of fan response from the first one and a considerable amount of critical response and one of the things we heard was, ‘Make sure the next one deals with modern-day issues.’ We’re trying to keep it as up-to-date and as reflective of what’s going on today as possible. So that’s one thing, to make it reflect the things that we are all dealing with today.

I asked Orci somewhat flippantly if that meant we might see Starfleet grappling with the ethics of torture or dealing with a rising terrorist threat or perhaps a painful, politicized war with the Klingons.

"Well yeah, those are the kind of issues we're talking about. Wow, you're good! But seriously that's the way we're thinking, that's an approach. So if you have any ideas ... "

As an aside, I also mentioned to Abrams that I had interviewed James Cameron recently and that the "Titanic" filmmaker had been gushing about his fondness for the "Trek" revival and cited it along with "Up" as the stand-out blockbusters of 2009.

"James Cameron, as in the James Cameron? Well, it’s incredibly sweet and, frankly, it’s just weird. I mean, it’s always a ridiculous thing to hear that someone like James Cameron even knows what you do. To hear that, it’s blush-inducing. Now tell me about 'Avatar' ... "

And I did...

-- Geoff Boucher
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...C3%A1namo.html

islandclaws 09-18-09 01:22 PM

re: Star Trek 2 (Abrams, June 29th, 2012) ---> News, casting, etc...

Please, no. I hate films that feel like they need to incorporate current events into their plots, just as I hate musicians who write too much about current politics. I enjoy my entertainment as a form of escape; I don't need to be reminded of injustices relevant to the zeitgeist.

Dr. DVD 09-18-09 01:29 PM

Well, addressing modern issues in a futuristic setting was always a staple of Star Trek, so I don't mind. I am sure Abrams will keep that aspect at a minimum and keep the focus on the fun like he did the first time around.

Bad_Feeling 09-18-09 01:41 PM

Sounds good to me. Star Trek has always dealt with real world issues disguised with science fiction.

Edit: What Dr. DVD said.

Bandoman 09-18-09 02:24 PM

Star Trek is at its best when it provides a commentary on current social and political issues. I can't wait for this.

islandclaws 09-18-09 02:40 PM

While I agree with the above statements, I fear they might get a little too heavy-handed with the message. But I do hope I'm wrong.

Dr Mabuse 09-18-09 04:50 PM

I'm in regardless of the whatever.

That first film was a blast. That was what going to the movies is all about.

Josh-da-man 09-18-09 05:59 PM

I really hope they don't go in this direction.

Mostly because Battlestar Galactica already strip-mined it for four years.

Klingons, I'm fine with. "War on Terror" analogies, I already have my fill.

riley_dude 09-18-09 06:04 PM

As long as they don't hit us over the head with the metaphors I am ok with it and I just hope they don't redo anything like they were talking about before. Khan's name came up and I really don't think they should remake the new movies with old bad guys unless you are doing the Klingons and Romulans.

resinrats 09-18-09 07:00 PM

Maybe it can focus on Andorian Health Care for the galaxy.

My Other Self 09-18-09 07:42 PM

Absolutely cannot wait. The first one is my second favorite film of the year behind Inglourious Basters. It's just such a crowded slate in 2011, I'm surprised it's going to come out that soon given how long this one came to be.

Hokeyboy 09-18-09 08:59 PM

I hate when people say "zeitgeist". :(

That includes me NOW, apparently... :( :( :(

Dr. DVD 09-18-09 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude (Post 9717571)
As long as they don't hit us over the head with the metaphors I am ok with it and I just hope they don't redo anything like they were talking about before. Khan's name came up and I really don't think they should remake the new movies with old bad guys unless you are doing the Klingons and Romulans.

I think Khan might work if they wait and build to him. He is such a large part of Trek lore I don't see how they could neglect him altogether.

Supermallet 09-18-09 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9717072)
Please, no. I hate films that feel like they need to incorporate current events into their plots, just as I hate musicians who write too much about current politics. I enjoy my entertainment as a form of escape; I don't need to be reminded of injustices relevant to the zeitgeist.

Not a fan of Star Trek VI, then?

tanman 09-19-09 12:31 AM

While I agree that Star Trek is among it's best when it uses allegory I really hope it isn't too blunt. I think it works much better as an hour long TV show then a feature length picture.

The exception being ST:VI it was a very obvious allegory to russians but it fit very well with the mythos of ST especially tying in ST:TOS timeline with ST:TNG.

I really can't see fans clamoring for current events in Star Trek? Really? I prefer my Star Trek movies as well written whiz bang action films. That's what the big screen is for. Leave the metaphor for the small screen. Of course if they could do both then that would be great.

I must have the same tastes as James Cameron because I picked UP and Star Trek as the best movies of the year so far too.

RocShemp 09-19-09 01:20 AM

As long as it's done tastefuly and subtly, I'm all for it. That's a classic Trek vibe they're aiming for. :up:

lamphorn 09-19-09 01:56 AM

Great, we're going to get yet another Bush Bash Fest, and it comes out 3 years into Obama's Presidency.

Will they ever even try to make Star Trek science fiction again? Does EVERY movie have to be a Wrath of Khan remake? I wonder which European classically-trained actor will be the Shakespeare-spouting revenge-driven villain this time? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Giantrobo 09-19-09 04:34 AM

I don't care if they decide to get preachy, <b>I just want more Star Trek!!</b>

The bold part is something I never thought I'd ever say. :up:

Hokeyboy 09-19-09 10:59 AM

I always :lol: at the "entertainment should be escape! turn off my brain!" style comments.

islandclaws 09-19-09 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9717944)
Not a fan of Star Trek VI, then?

Have't seen it...

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9718435)
I always :lol: at the "entertainment should be escape! turn off my brain!" style comments.

To a degree, yes, it should be. I'm fairly certain most people don't go to the movies to get a reminder of how shitty things currently are, but rather to be "entertained". It's not such a bad thing, really. I'm perfectly fine with films that choose to weave some subtext on current events into the fabric of their scripts, but I don't like the ham-fisted approach. Great example of the latter is Romero's Diary of the Dead, though that hardly qualifies as summer action. You know what I mean. Some films, such as Transformers 2, can only be enjoyed if you do turn your brain off. I put ZERO thought into that film when I saw it; I just sat back and watched shit get blowed up real big. Not that that's my cinematic preference, but sometimes you need to watch crap like that too.

Tracer Bullet 09-19-09 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 9718117)
Will they ever even try to make Star Trek science fiction again? Does EVERY movie have to be a Wrath of Khan remake? I wonder which European classically-trained actor will be the Shakespeare-spouting revenge-driven villain this time? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:lol: Star Trek was never science fiction.

Hokeyboy 09-19-09 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet (Post 9718466)
:lol: Star Trek was never science fiction.

At its best, it was. At its usual, it was A-Team with space ships. At its worst, it was... well, it was Voyager.

Tracer Bullet 09-21-09 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9718503)
At its best, it was. At its usual, it was A-Team with space ships. At its worst, it was... well, it was Voyager.

Not really. Trek, at its best, was a mixture of science fantasy and space opera.

DeputyDave 09-21-09 02:37 PM

Considering the few nagging problems that ruined the first one for me I doubt they'll be able to handle this well eough to pull it off.

Bandoman 09-21-09 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet (Post 9722656)
Not really. Trek, at its best, was a mixture of science fantasy and space opera.

Okay, now that we have the proper nomenclature - ST historically is among the best science fantasy/space opera because of its willingness to tackle current issues.