DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anybody here ever seen a Tyler Perry movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/561296-anybody-here-ever-seen-tyler-perry-movie.html)

Ash Ketchum 09-11-09 09:47 AM

Anybody here ever seen a Tyler Perry movie?

"Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All by Myself" just opened. (No critics' screenings, hence no reviews in today's papers.)

I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie. Life is too short. But I'm curious if anybody's had the experience of seeing these movies with audiences. I imagine that seeing one with a black audience would be very different from seeing it with a white audience, if you can even get a white audience to attend a screening of one of these films.

Has anyone here had the experience of seeing a Tyler Perry movie with an audience, even with a group of friends in a living room?

Has anyone here seen one with two different types of audiences, including even two different groups of friends?

What was the experience like? Did one audience take it very seriously, while the other laughed at it? Or were the experiences quite similar in one way or the other?

Just curious.

Thanks.

MrSmearkase 09-11-09 10:10 AM

Re: Anybody here ever seen a Tyler Perry movie?

The wife and I watched "Why Did I Get Married?" together on cable. It had just started, and I turned it on as a joke, but after a few minutes, we couldn't turn it off. It was that bad. Appreciating that we are not of the demographic that his movies are made for, we still couldn't wrap our heads around the fact he is able to command such esteem, despite the fact that his direction is horrible and his writing is very cliche-ridden.

Here's the scene that we landed on, and thus trapped us into the world of auteur Tyler Perry;
Angry Train Scene

This film more or less sealed our decision to stay far, far away from further Tyler Perry films. I used to appreciate the way he was able to make films, and somewhat work outside of the studio system, but this is what he comes up with?

Yavin 09-11-09 10:13 AM

No, I'm waiting for the inevitable Tyler Perry's Why Do Studios Still Pay Me to Make Movies and Why Do People Still Pay to See Them?. This will of course be followed up by a sequel by Uwe Boll.

inri222 09-11-09 10:19 AM

Never have
Never will

MBoyd 09-11-09 10:40 AM

Does Star Trek count?

Double_Oh_7 09-11-09 11:15 AM

You couldn't pay me to sit through one of his shitty movies.

The O 09-11-09 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9701653)
(No critics' screenings, hence no reviews in today's papers.)

Who needs papers when you have DVD Talk.

mike45 09-11-09 11:19 AM

A who movie?

Hokeyboy 09-11-09 11:21 AM

Tyler Perry made $75 million last year.

$75 MILLION.

He could really give a bloated babboon's bright red rosy whether or not smug white guys on the Internet watch his movies. :lol:

RagingBull80 09-11-09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 9701754)
Never have
Never will

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 9701958)
You couldn't pay me to sit through one of his shitty movies.

These.

chris_sc77 09-11-09 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 9701754)
never have
never will

+1

Bandit03 09-11-09 11:36 AM

Ive seen a Tyler Perry movie but not by choice :(. I work at a Historically Black College in Florida and during the last registration process, they had a Perry movie playing all day over and over and over and over... :suicide:

Crowd seemed to enjoy it though :lol:

d2cheer 09-11-09 11:42 AM

I have and found them to be generally enjoyable. My wife likes his movies and they tend to have pretty good messages in them. It is not about black or white, the message is still there. You don't have to be "black" to like or get his movies. I'm not but have several friends that are, they play out the same to all of us. We have laughed at the parts that were funny and didn't at those that are not.

Not every one of them is great but they are OK time fillers.

Always great to see people pass judgement when they have not ever seen the movies.

panchor 09-11-09 11:49 AM

My wife and I rented one a few years ago, thinking that it was going to be a comedy like Big Momma's House, you know a black guy dressed like a fat woman. I've never had a desire to watch another one of his movies after that.

Mr.Briggs 09-11-09 11:54 AM

Never even considered going to one & I never will.

JimRochester 09-11-09 11:57 AM

I also tried watching "WHy Did I Get Married?" I ended up turning it off and tossing the disc in the trash. It was unwatchable, basically people bickering for an hour.

inri222 09-11-09 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit03 (Post 9702044)
Ive seen a Tyler Perry movie but not by choice :(. I work at a Historically Black College in Florida and during the last registration process, they had a Perry movie playing all day over and over and over and over... :suicide:

Crowd seemed to enjoy it though :lol:

Oscar Micheaux must be rolling in his grave.

Hokeyboy 09-11-09 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by panchor (Post 9702103)
My wife and I rented one a few years ago, thinking that it was going to be a comedy like Big Momma's House, you know a black guy dressed like a fat woman...

You actually wanted to watch a movie "like Big Momma's House"? Seriously?

I'm no cinema snob but WOW that movie was like sticking needles in your eyes for 90 minutes while being rogered by Luis Guzman.

Mondo Kane 09-11-09 12:42 PM

I've never seen one in it's entirety yet. The only one I've seen the most of is Family Reunion and that was mostly for the eye candy.

panchor 09-11-09 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9702249)
You actually wanted to watch a movie "like Big Momma's House"? Seriously?

I'm no cinema snob but WOW that movie was like sticking needles in your eyes for 90 minutes while being rogered by Luis Guzman.

Not me, my wife. For some strange reason she always wants to watch the new Martin Lawrence/Will Ferrell/Wayans Bros/etc. movie. And everytime she ends disappointed. But she keeps watching them.

Solid Snake 09-11-09 12:55 PM

so..she's a masochist?

DvDDan 09-11-09 12:56 PM

i've seen a few of his movies. They would be alright if they didnt have the character Madea in them. Overdone.

newginafets 09-11-09 01:09 PM

Me hate.

Never gonna watch his movies.

Mountain Biker 09-11-09 01:46 PM

god no. Never plan to either.

William Fuld 09-11-09 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9701653)
I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie. Life is too short.

Wouldn't want anything to eat into your precious Pokemon time.