Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Shining ending

Old 09-09-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Shining ending

Spoilers

On the weekend I watched The Shining. This was the third time seeing it but my dad and I had a debate on the ending "twist"

Jack Torrence freezes to death at the end and is shown in a group photo of the overlook. Since one of the Ghosts says that Jack has been here forever and is in the old photo, my dad believes that the twist is that he was a former guest at the overlook and was reincarnated. At the beginning of the film Jack even says he feels comfortable here which may allude to his former self living at the overlook.

I just think he died and became a ghost at the Hotel. It was just the ghosts telling him this stuff to further break him down. I had just finished reading the novel for the first time so it was weird how much they changed (an indian burial ground )

What do you guys think?
Old 09-09-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Shining ending

Already lengthy threads here and here
Old 09-09-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^^

I love how you were the one to point people in the second thread to the first thread. Must have a good thread memory!
Old 09-09-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I had remembered that first one and then when I went into it I noticed the previous one, so I added that one too. I must be a savant when it comes to remembering what has been discussed before.

And I bet you $10 that this thread continues to grow even with that reminder in the first response, like the last thread did.
Old 09-10-09, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
And I bet you $10 that this thread continues to grow even with that reminder in the first response, like the last thread did.
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Sorry to add to the thread.
Old 09-10-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
Easy bet.
Old 09-10-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I want in, what's the over/under?
Old 09-10-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Spoilers

On the weekend I watched The Shining. This was the third time seeing it but my dad and I had a debate on the ending "twist"

Jack Torrence freezes to death at the end and is shown in a group photo of the overlook. Since one of the Ghosts says that Jack has been here forever and is in the old photo, my dad believes that the twist is that he was a former guest at the overlook and was reincarnated. At the beginning of the film Jack even says he feels comfortable here which may allude to his former self living at the overlook.

I just think he died and became a ghost at the Hotel. It was just the ghosts telling him this stuff to further break him down. I had just finished reading the novel for the first time so it was weird how much they changed (an indian burial ground )

What do you guys think?
This is interesting, but why do you think he died? He went there with his family and they were also seeing things in the hotel.
Old 09-10-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know but I love what they did here with the groundhog and their take on the shining of sorts.

http://www.groundhog202.com/
Old 09-10-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't go wrong with this qoute from the man himself!

I hope the audience has a good fright, has believed the film while they were watching it and retains some sense of it. The ballroom photograph at the end suggests the reincarnation of Jack -

Stanley Kubrick