DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies where the BAD GUY wins at the end: spoilers if movie is less than 5 years old (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/561135-movies-where-bad-guy-wins-end-spoilers-if-movie-less-than-5-years-old.html)

Buttmunker 09-08-09 03:34 PM

Movies where the BAD GUY wins at the end: spoilers if movie is less than 5 years old

...please don't include films like "Halloween" or "Friday the 13th."

I think Braveheart (1995) qualifies, since William Wallace (Mel Gibson) dies a horrible death.

Titanic (1997) since the weather conditions failed to preserve the life of Jack Dawson (Leo).

FinkPish 09-08-09 03:36 PM

Re: Movies where the BAD GUY wins at the end: spoilers if movie is less than 5 years

This might be a hard topic to do even with spoilers because you would need to put the movie title outside of the spoiler box to save people blindly opening spoiler boxes, in which case it would spoil the movie simply by putting the title out in the open.

maxfisher 09-08-09 03:44 PM

Re: Movies where the BAD GUY wins at the end: spoilers if movie is less than 5 years

You could put a specific description of the end, sans any character names, outside of spoilers and then spoil the movie title.

JimRochester 09-08-09 05:45 PM

Plus I think your examples show the "good guy" dying but not necessarily the bad guy winning.

In Braveheart Longshanks died also
In Titanic Billy Zane's character survived the sinking but then killed himself later.
Live and Die in LA Petersen's character was killed but the partner survived

Groucho 09-08-09 05:48 PM

Forum rules dictate that you should use spoiler tags regardless of the age of the movie. But I'm not sure how it could be done with this topic at all, since we're just listing titles of movies.

islandclaws 09-08-09 05:59 PM

Spoiler:

Hatchet
The Collector

tylergfoster 09-08-09 06:49 PM

"I'm no more than a monster, but don't I have the right to live?"

And I agree. I had more but I couldn't figure out how to post them.

Rockmjd23 09-08-09 06:50 PM

We have found the unworkable thread!

newginafets 09-08-09 06:53 PM

Spoiler:
Eden Lake
Slaughter
The International

mndtrp 09-08-09 07:13 PM

Getting sucked through a portal, twice! Waking up to a ravaged earth.

Spoiler:
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness (alternate ending)

The Infidel 09-08-09 07:27 PM

Spoiler:
Amadeus

OldBoy 09-08-09 07:30 PM

Leon: The Professional ...kinda
Phantoms
Planet of the Apes ...both

OldBoy 09-08-09 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9696246)
"I'm no more than a monster, but don't I have the right to live?"

that's my line. **edit** which is correct yours or mine in sig?

Bandit03 09-08-09 07:51 PM

Been a while since I saw it but didn't the Tim Robbins win at the end of
Spoiler:
Arlington Road
?

OldBoy 09-08-09 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit03 (Post 9696380)
Been a while since I saw it but didn't the Tim Robbins win at the end of
Spoiler:
Arlington Road
?

in Shawshank Redemption...he sure did.

the one you posted as well -wink-

Geddlo 09-08-09 08:28 PM

Empire Strikes Back and
Spoiler:
In the Mouth of Madness

Dr. DVD 09-08-09 08:38 PM

Spoiler:
LOTR:Fellowship of the Ring-not the end of the story, but a pretty big downer of an ending . Boromir shot dead, Merry and Pippin kidnapped by Orcs, Frodo and Sam out on their own, Fellowship is broken.

tonyc3742 09-08-09 08:53 PM

Due to the structure of the movies, I don't know if that should count.

Spoiler:
the real ending of Brazil

cungar 09-08-09 08:57 PM

No one's mentioned

Spoiler:

No Country for Old Men

even though it won the 2007

Spoiler:

Best Picture Oscar?

Dr. DVD 09-08-09 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 9696530)
No one's mentioned

Spoiler:

No Country for Old Men

even though it won the 2007

Spoiler:

Best Picture Oscar?

Spoiler:
I don't know if he technically won. He survives with his life, but he no longer has the money.

Dr. DVD 09-08-09 09:03 PM

Spoiler:
House of 1000 Corpses
though you don't know for certain until the sequel.

maxfisher 09-08-09 09:13 PM

The captured serial killer reveals he killed the wife of the cop that's been chasing him.

Spoiler:
Se7en

There a reason that kind of post doesn't work? If you don't recognize the description of the end, don't click on the spoiler and you won't accidentally find out what movie it's for.

dhmac 09-08-09 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 9696542)
Spoiler:
I don't know if he technically won. He survives with his life, but he no longer has the money.

If you mean...
Spoiler:
...Anton Chigurh, then he very much got away with the money! He took it out of the A/C vent where the now dead Llewelyn Moss last hid it right before Sheriff Ed Tom Bell arrived at the motel room to look around. Chigurh hid behind the door for a while, but then took off with the money when Bell looked around in the bathroom.

Wolf359 09-08-09 10:16 PM

I love movies where the unexpected happens and the bad guys win. Couple of my favorites.

Spoiler:
Skeleton Key

and
Spoiler:
Fallen

Perkinsun Dzees 09-08-09 10:58 PM

It took me a while to think of a movie in which the villain triumphs at the end and gets away. I came up with a couple of the usual suspects, like Vertigo and The Parallax View, but then also remembered:

Spoiler:

The Great Silence with Klaus Kinski
and
La Ceremonie with Sandrine Bonnaire

Those are the only four I could think of.