DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Noticed Quentin Tarantino movies favor the Good Guy prevailing in the end...jeez (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/561054-noticed-quentin-tarantino-movies-favor-good-guy-prevailing-end-jeez.html)

Buttmunker 09-06-09 08:53 PM

Noticed Quentin Tarantino movies favor the Good Guy prevailing in the end...jeez

I see that Quentin Tarantino has a soft-spot for the Good Guy winning in the end of his blood-splattered features, even though a lot of good guys fall throughout...but the end of the story seems to favor Good over Evil.

Spoiler:
01: Reservoir Dogs
the cops win in the end, and the crew goes down - every last one of them (Bushemi goes to jail, I think, and that's losing in my book). Sure, Tim Roth doesn't survive, but neither do the bad guys, and the good guys get back the money that was stolen.

02: Pulp Fiction
Vincent Vega is shot to death; Butch sails off into the sunset. Nuff said.

03: Jackie Brown
Samuel L. Jackson loses everything (including his life), and Jackie Brown (the semi-good guy, even though she was corrupt enough to smuggle) wins the brass ring.

04: Kill Bill
Mission accomplished, as we see Bill staggering off his five steps before dropping dead. Kiddo may have once been a savage assassin, but she had a good heart, and basically we view her as "the good guy," despite her history. Oh yeah, and she won in the end.

05: Death Proof
Poor Kurt Russell lost all his macho credibility at the end of this film, and I don't think anyone can really think of him as a "tough guy" anymore - not after the abuse he suffered from those pissed off pussycats.

06: Inglorious Basterds
Brad Pitt, although captured and at the mercy of The Jew Hunter, manages to escape harm without so much as a scratch (lucky basterd).

***even Four Rooms, Quentin's one segment shows Tim Roth successfully pulling off the mean feat of chopping off the guy's pinky without getting the rest of the hand, snatching his prize money, and sauntering out of the hotel room.

What is Quentin's obsession with the good guy prevailing? Can't the bad guy get a break in his films? ;)

NoirFan 09-06-09 08:55 PM

Re: Noticed Quentin Tarantino movies favor the Good Guy prevailing in the end...jeez

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ow-inside.html

The Antipodean 09-06-09 09:08 PM

Re: Noticed Quentin Tarantino movies favor the Good Guy prevailing in the end...jeez

Couldn't you say this oh, about 95% of other film directors as well?

Blu Man 09-06-09 09:13 PM

Thanks for ruining some movies for me.

mikelowry 09-06-09 09:38 PM

Christ! Another Tarantino basher. If you despise him then don't watch.

The Cow 09-06-09 09:43 PM

jeez, indeed.

Solid Snake 09-06-09 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 9692527)
jeez, indeed.

Buttmunker 09-07-09 01:18 PM

You got that I'm a Tarantino basher out of my post? Nice discussion.

RyoHazuki 09-07-09 01:53 PM

<---Doesn't agree that the cops are the good guys in Reservoir Dogs.

FinkPish 09-07-09 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 9693312)
You got that I'm a Tarantino basher out of my post? Nice discussion.

You brought up the subject like it was somehow contrary to the way most people end stories. The vast, overwhelming majority of movies with a clear protagonist have that person prevailing in the end. You could say exactly the same about Michael Bay's films, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make aside from your observation that Tarantino follows the crowd when it comes to the good guys winning.

Groucho 09-07-09 02:11 PM

Guess I don't need to see Basterds now thanks to the subject header of this thread!

CharlieK 09-07-09 02:48 PM

OP, do not watch any of the James Bond movies!! You will be so pissed!!

Dr. DVD 09-07-09 02:49 PM

Man, good guy's winning sure is unique to Tarantino.

TheySentYou 09-07-09 02:52 PM

i don't think many modern film directors make heroism as appealing as Tarantino does.

the kind of appeal which still never fails to make the audience literally applause and give standing ovations at his premiers nationwide.

islandclaws 09-07-09 02:59 PM

Saying the "winning" characters of the Tarantinoverse are good guys is like saying the good guy won at the end of Escape From N.Y.. I view most of his "heroes" as anti-heroes.

Solid Snake 09-07-09 08:30 PM

I dunno about that...the basterds are clear heroes. Not anti heroes in any sense. Everybody else...yeah..they're anti-heroes.

PixyJunket 09-08-09 12:26 PM

Bad guys winning in movies is very progressive.

RichC2 09-08-09 12:28 PM

Yeah but really with Basterds

Spoiler:
in that world, Landa is said to be responsible for killing Hitler and ending WW2. So he is the hero and the winner, despite the scar.

Drop 09-08-09 12:47 PM

I think it's a step further than that. I think most of the characters have bad sides to them and none of them are without sin, but it's the ones that repent or try to do the right thing that have the good ending.

It's most obvious with Jules and Vincent.
Spoiler:
Jules turns away from the life of a gangster and lives (presumably walking the earth, maybe even running a hockey team...), Vincent doesn't and he gets shot and killed, in a fairly embarrassing way.

Also in Inglourious Basterds as RichC2 points out.
Spoiler:
Landa is a bad guy, but decides to help out the good guys, sure it's selfish and his previous past deeds aren't erased, but things workout. Still his sins do lead to a permanent scar.

Even with Reservoir Dogs
Spoiler:
Orange gets killed but he is given enough time to repent and come clean about his double cross, his soul doesn't have that heavy burden anymore. And he still busted the jewel heist.

Ash Ketchum 09-08-09 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9693918)
I dunno about that...the basterds are clear heroes. Not anti heroes in any sense. Everybody else...yeah..they're anti-heroes.

I would disagree. The Basterds use methods that were frowned upon by the Allies during the war. There are rules of engagement and the Geneva Convention (remember that?) and the Basterds clearly break those rules. If you read the accounts of actual G.I. combat veterans in Europe [fade in patriotic music] you'll understand that they didn't kill with glee. They didn't think of their job of soldiering in terms of body counts. They didn't scalp or hit German prisoners with baseball bats. That's not what our boys did. The Basterds are not heroes. The average G.I. who slogged through snow-covered fields fighting Nazis in the woods during the Battle of the Bulge and holding out against extreme odds and maintaining his moral integrity in the course of it...those guys are the heroes. [fade out fanfare]

Hokeyboy 09-08-09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9695201)
I would disagree. The Basterds use methods that were frowned upon by the Allies during the war. There are rules of engagement and the Geneva Convention (remember that?) and the Basterds clearly break those rules. If you read the accounts of actual G.I. combat veterans in Europe [fade in patriotic music] you'll understand that they didn't kill with glee. They didn't think of their job of soldiering in terms of body counts. They didn't scalp or hit German prisoners with baseball bats. That's not what our boys did. The Basterds are not heroes. The average G.I. who slogged through snow-covered fields fighting Nazis in the woods during the Battle of the Bulge and holding out against extreme odds and maintaining his moral integrity in the course of it...those guys are the heroes. [fade out fanfare]

I heard the "Robin Quivers News Theme" while reading that...

Matthew Ackerly 09-08-09 01:27 PM

Jules and Vincent are "good guys"?

How many people have they killed? I mean, I love the shit out of them but its a stretch calling them the good guys.

Same can be said for the rest of his characters, except for maybe Jackie Brown.

Maybe you should change "good guys" to Protagonists.

DRG 09-08-09 03:23 PM

I think it's to the point where the bad guy winning has become a cliche in its own right. It's one thing if the choice is honest to the story, but I think filmmakers too often go that route merely for shock value. I'm getting sick of movies where the bad guy wins seemingly just to make the movie 'edgy'.

Solid Snake 09-08-09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9695201)

True but also...this is the Tarantino world. Seems like the Brits were cool with their history of work so far. And depending on how literal you take Aldo's speech about his mission seems like it was ok as long as they got the job done.

Mazje 09-08-09 04:49 PM

Plus, it looks like this trend is going to continue with his next project as well:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...urce=a-section