DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Most Disappointing Film this Summer (2009) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/561011-most-disappointing-film-summer-2009-a.html)

AnonomusBob15 09-05-09 11:41 PM

Most Disappointing Film this Summer (2009)

Not a big fan of poles

for me....

Public Enemies - I really liked it the first time I saw it, it clicked with me, but I went back a 2nd time and I was bored to tears! Some fine performances but after two viewings there wasn't anything really memorable. Expectations couldn't have been any higher given the talent invloved. I thought this might be Michael Mann's crowning jewel.

others....

Terminator: Salvation - not a fan of McG, but Bale was in, Jonathan Nolan worked on the screenplay, it could have been good. Watching it, I just hated every character and couldn't gain interest. I got a phone call about 20 minutes till the end and stepped outside to take it, didn't return, and judging from everyone else's reaction, didn't miss anything. Again, it's McG, a man who has built no reputation, but still seems to be famous.

Halloween II - I liked the first one, and I really liked a few scenes in this one. But the white horse thing ruined it, and it had a lame ending. I know many weren't expecting much, but this one actually gives a lot of credit to the bad shit people have to say about Rob Zombie.

so what films let you down and why?

BravesMG 09-05-09 11:45 PM

Re: Most Disappointing Film this Summer (2009)

There hasn't been a ton this summer that actually met expectations, but none have been anywhere near as disappointing as Transformers 2. I loved the first one and was looking forward to this for a while. That steaming pile of shit on the screen was horrific beyond belief.

Honorable mentions: Terminator Salvation and Land of the Lost.

Daytripper 09-06-09 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 9691305)
Not a big fan of poles

for me....

Public Enemies - I really liked it the first time I saw it, it clicked with me, but I went back a 2nd time and I was bored to tears! Some fine performances but after two viewings there wasn't anything really memorable. Expectations couldn't have been any higher given the talent invloved. I thought this might be Michael Mann's crowning jewel.

others....

Terminator: Salvation - not a fan of McG, but Bale was in, Jonathan Nolan worked on the screenplay, it could have been good. Watching it, I just hated every character and couldn't gain interest. I got a phone call about 20 minutes till the end and stepped outside to take it, didn't return, and judging from everyone else's reaction, didn't miss anything. Again, it's McG, a man who has built no reputation, but still seems to be famous.

Halloween II - I liked the first one, and I really liked a few scenes in this one. But the white horse thing ruined it, and it had a lame ending. I know many weren't expecting much, but this one actually gives a lot of credit to the bad shit people have to say about Rob Zombie.

so what films let you down and why?

Increasingly, most movies I see too soon after I first see them, I tend not to like as much the second time around. "Watchmen" was one of them. Liked it a great deal when I saw it in the theater. But kind of hated it when I caught it on DVD the day it was released. That said, this is how I feel about "Public Enemies". Really enjoyed it too (giving it an 8.5/10 review), so I'll make sure I don't watch it again as soon as it's released on DVD. So, the biggest disappointment for me has to be "Terminator Salvation". Now, I had the lowest of low expectations (like most) because of it's director. But the trailers actually looked pretty damn cool. But man oh man were they deceiving. Worst....movie....of the summer! I purposely avoided "Transformers 2" because of all the bad things I heard. Both critics and fans of the first. And I too thought the first one was a blast. I also want to say that I didn't hate "Wolverine" like most. Didn't love it either. But I was extremely disappointed in it. Let's hope Fox rethinks the future directors for this franchise.

John_Shil 09-06-09 12:23 AM

Pushing the definition of "summer," here, but WOLVERINE was 90% awful.

RocShemp 09-06-09 12:27 AM

Of the few I've seen, it would have to be Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Maxflier 09-06-09 12:29 AM

Transformers 2

Wolf359 09-06-09 12:57 AM

Maybe it was because I saw it in Imax and the eye candy made it worthwhile, but Transformers 2 was nowhere near as disappointing as Terminator Salvation. That gets my vote.

Labor 09-06-09 12:57 AM

Public Enemies was by far the most disappointing to me vis a vis my expectations towards it.

Michael Mann is easily one of my top 3 favorite filmmakers, and this movie genuinely upset me in regards to how disappointed I was.

inri222 09-06-09 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 9691305)
Not a big fan of poles

http://www.neversaydiet.com/files/po...ing-how-to.jpg

stingermck 09-06-09 01:05 AM

Terminator: Salvation.

Though I will like it more on a second viewing, now that I know what to expect.

kevinlord190 09-06-09 01:38 AM

Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Greg MacGuffin 09-06-09 03:09 AM

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I thought District 9 was a huge letdown. Really wanted to like it, had a cool premise, heard many good things, liked the trailer....thought the movie was mostly pretty bad.

Matthew Chmiel 09-06-09 03:18 AM

I'm going to be killed for this one.

Drag Me To Hell

I love Sam Raimi. I loved that it was a throwback to his earlier work, the same work that made us all fall in love with the man. However it was fifteen years too late. Maybe I went into it putting it on a pedestal before watching it, but it lacked everything that made his Evil Dead trilogy so great. Mostly that of a hero who is actually likable.

RD1973 09-06-09 04:23 AM

The biggest disappointment of the summer is easily Transformers 2. I actually enjoyed the first one, which I own on dvd. And I was looking forward to owning the inevitable trilogy. But after seeing TF 2, I will not be buying it or even seeing it ever again. Nor will I watch TF 3. In fact, at this point, the only reason I haven't sold my 2 copies of TF 1 is the pair of sweet steelbooks.

I declare Transformers 2 the biggest cinematic dissapointment of my life. I know I've been bitching about it all summer. But I'm walking away right now. I don't even want to think about that piece of shit again.

Ash Ketchum 09-06-09 05:32 AM

Ditto on PUBLIC ENEMIES. I had such high hopes I even read the book. I was particularly pleased when I first heard about Depp's casting because he's got the right look for Dillinger (the first actor to play him whom I can say that about) and the right charisma. But something went wrong. But then I'm a Dillinger buff, so I'm a little more sensitive to how the man is played.

Gunde 09-06-09 05:51 AM

Transformers 2 by a fucking mile!

2nd for me would be Drag Me To Hell. Not because it was bad, I liked it a lot, but I was expecting a bit more scary and a bit less slapstick.

jfoobar 09-06-09 09:40 AM

Probably District 9. I liked it a little more than Jeffy Pop, apparently, but some pretty awful directorial decisions ruined what should have been an incredible movie.

mdc3000 09-06-09 10:13 AM

Public Enemies, Terminator: Salvation and Transformers 2 easily. All 3 films had great potential and none of them lived up to it...especially Public Enemies. All the ingredients were there, but they mixed them together into the dullest crime movie I have ever seen.

Year One was also hugely disappointing - great cast, solid writers and a once great director but 90 minutes only yielded ONE laugh? How is that possible? Same goes for The Goods (great cast, great producers, shit movie).

No fucking way would DRAG ME TO HELL be on my list - after the still stinging disappointment of Spider-Man 3, how anyone can view that film as anything less than the triumphant return of GOOD Sam Raimi is beyond me ;)

Blu Man 09-06-09 10:19 AM

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Public Enemies

PopcornTreeCt 09-06-09 11:21 AM

Interesting picks, I can't really disagree too much about Public Enemies. I really wanted to like that movie. The hype was too high (Gangster movie + Johnny Depp + Christian Bale + Michael Mann) Should be a masterpiece but alas it was far from it.

Terminator Salvation was not disappointing at all. I don't understand how anyone could have high expectations for a 4th movie in a series directed by McG. Sure, it had Christian Bale (and may in fact be his worst movie and worst performance) but I wasn't expecting it to be an action masterpiece.

I'm going to put in an early nomination for:

:)

OldBoy 09-06-09 11:25 AM

The Proposal
I fucking hate Sandra Bullock. I really honestly hope that talentless one note piece of huma feces dies before she gets anther chance to make another piece of garbage.
The Proposal was the most torturous film experience I have seen in years and this somehow manages to even look worse!!!!!!!!!
6 fucking percent at Rotten Tomatoes and still No. 1. Are you kidding me!?

jfoobar 09-06-09 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9691708)
The Proposal
I fucking hate Sandra Bullock. I really honestly hope that talentless one note piece of huma feces dies before she gets anther chance to make another piece of garbage.

Your wish has not been granted:

http://www.allaboutstevemovie.com/

OldBoy 09-06-09 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 9691723)
Your wish has not been granted:

http://www.allaboutstevemovie.com/

ehhh...you missed the joke.

OldBoy 09-06-09 11:35 AM

Public Enemies for me.

chris_sc77 09-06-09 11:45 AM

Proposal was the Worst.
Angels & Demons and Harry POtter 6 were the most disappointing.