DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day (Duffy, 10/30/09) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/560827-boondock-saints-2-all-saints-day-duffy-10-30-09-a.html)

lesterlong 02-27-03 04:55 PM

Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day

Written and Directed by Troy Duffy who did the first one. This is news to me, as I never heard about a sequel. Looks to be the same cast minus Willem Dafoe, and takes place after the end courtroom scene. Plot summary: Connor and Murphy are quite content with this "natural" life and their pasts begin to seem faded and worn. But soon they recieve a "sign" and are called back into action as a pastor is murdered in a Boston church and the crime scene is staged to make it look like the work of the Saints.

joshd2012 02-27-03 05:47 PM

Ok, how do you stop killing people and just decide to hang out? Especially after exposing yourself during that courtroom scene? I'm eager to see how this is going to work itself out.

Goat3001 02-27-03 05:50 PM

I just saw the original yesterday and noticed the sequal was being made. I'm really excited to see it as I absolutly loved Boondock Saints.

For some reason I don't like the title, too much of a "Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season" vibe.

Samuel 02-27-03 06:20 PM

:) :thumbsup:

Geofferson 02-27-03 06:39 PM

Nice. :up:

Chad 02-27-03 06:49 PM

I noticed it the other day on the IMDB:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0330083

Can't wait! :up:

the narrator 02-27-03 07:14 PM

first one was very good...hopefully this one will at least be decent. Not happy about Dafoe not being in it though

The Nature Boy 02-27-03 09:00 PM

That's much better than the original title:

Boondock Saints 2: Still Dockin'

B.A. 02-27-03 10:22 PM

The only thing I could see them improving on would be their accents that come and go. I liked the premise of the first one and would be interested to see where they take the brothers.

WiccanPagan 02-28-03 12:42 AM

i just want a lot of action, really. hopefully they don't let me down.

fumanstan 02-28-03 12:56 AM

I'm excited to see this as well... i loved the action in the first one.

UKingdom 02-28-03 02:59 AM

Was there two versions of the original? One cut and one uncut? Any specifics on the differences? Was it cut scenes due to violence? How much was cut?

DonnachaOne 06-30-03 01:53 PM

Originally posted by UKingdom
Was there two versions of the original? One cut and one uncut? Any specifics on the differences? Was it cut scenes due to violence? How much was cut?
An R cut and the Unrated cut. The unrated just a lot more slo-mo gunshots, blood spatters in every scene. The German and Japanese DVDs are unrated.

Corvin 06-30-03 02:01 PM

If you think about it, there really wasn't that much "action" in the first. I just hope for a good time, like the original gave us.

RyoHazuki 06-30-03 02:29 PM

Whats the deal with that Troy Duffy? How did he get the job to direct the first one? Wasnt he working at a bar when they hired him? And now he gets the job to do the sequel. Kinda odd.

The Nature Boy 06-30-03 08:54 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Whats the deal with that Troy Duffy? How did he get the job to direct the first one? Wasnt he working at a bar when they hired him? And now he gets the job to do the sequel. Kinda odd.
Word has it, it was actually a pretty hot script around Hollywood, and several people were interested in making it a "big movie"(bigger than it was I suppose). But Duffy wrote the script, and apparently held out to direct, thus limiting the scope of the film budget wise. But I think there was briallant casting, from Billy Connoly in the role of a lifetime, to Ron Jeremy quite passable in a mainstream role, to Sean Patrick Flannery proving he can do something other than be a pretty boy. My only issues in the whole film were the Rocco and cocky detective foil for Dafoe. The detective was so obviously outclassed, it's worth the laugh watching Dafoe eat him up. But the Rocco character, who was Duffy's friend he cast, was really dealbreaker. Apart from being an awful actor who often takes you right out of the movie with his self awareness, how many mobsters do you know that look like Mick Foley in a trenchcoat?

ArchibaldTuttle 07-01-03 12:38 AM

the first one was pretty good, but I am kind of disappointed that
Spoiler:
two of my favorite characters are dead (Rocco, Ron Jeremy), and one isn't coming back (Dafoe), I don't think I would have liked Boondock Saints nearly as much without Rocco

I will definitely see it, but I am not really sure what they can do with the story especially since they lost their anonymity, so they can't have any more of those really cool during and after crime scene things, even though that would probably be lame to redo the format of the first movie

who knows, hopefully they go in this completely different direction that I am not going to expect and totally love ::crossing fingers::

DonnachaOne 07-01-03 01:33 AM

Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I will definitely see it, but I am not really sure what they can do with the story especially since they lost their anonymity, so they can't have any more of those really cool during and after crime scene things, even though that would probably be lame to redo the format of the first movie
It's their very fame which is their downfall, really. The family's been laying low in Ireland, but someone's gone and topped a Boston pastor, and the Saints are blamed...

Go to www.boondocksaints.com, where Troy's put up some materials about the second film.

(And what an amateur site it is, too! They even have the Irish flag backwards...)

darkflounder 07-01-03 01:55 AM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
That's much better than the original title:

Boondock Saints 2: Still Dockin'

And what about the in-production working title??

Boondock Saints 2: Electric Boondock

C Roberts 07-01-03 09:12 AM

I will definitely see it, but I am not really sure what they can do with the story especially since they lost their anonymity
I'm sure there's always more mobsters popping up to take the places of ones they kill so there is an unlimited supply of badguys to take down.

Also,
Spoiler:
Don't forget it was some of the local cops and Dafoe's character that let them into the courthouse at the end and locked it behind them. Its pretty hard to get caught when the cops are on your side.

RocShemp 05-22-06 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
It's their very fame which is their downfall, really. The family's been laying low in Ireland, but someone's gone and topped a Boston pastor, and the Saints are blamed...

Go to www.boondocksaints.com, where Troy's put up some materials about the second film.

(And what an amateur site it is, too! They even have the Irish flag backwards...)

I'm amazed that site still exists. They did a total overhaul and seem to have excised all mention of the never-to-be-made sequel.

ArchibaldTuttle 05-22-06 01:17 PM

I hope it never gets made, and that troy duffy guy has to go through pre-production hell for the rest of his life for being such a douche.

If it does get made though, I would watch it, the first one was decent.

Ronnie Dobbs 10-27-08 12:25 PM

According to this they officially began filming in Toronto

http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/10/27/bo...egins-filming/

takingchase 10-27-08 03:58 PM

So Rocco is back? how the fuck did that happen?

bbuckley23 10-27-08 04:04 PM

I can't believe this is being made. Duffy is an a**hole. Did anyone see Overnight? It is a documentary about his fabulous downfall. If you have never seen it do yourself a favor it is riveting. from wikipedia:

Plot
Overnight is the story of Troy Duffy, a Los Angeles bartender who is also a musician in a band called "The Brood" (along with his brother Taylor), and an aspiring screenwriter.

At the beginning of the film, Troy is riding high: his script (The Boondock Saints) has just been picked up by Miramax chief Harvey Weinstein for $300,000. In addition, Duffy will direct the film (with a budget of $15 million), his band will produce the soundtrack and get a recording contract from Maverick Records, and Weinstein will buy the bar Duffy works in, and hire Duffy to run it.

The deal, however, quickly turns sour. Miramax puts the film in turnaround, conference calls are refused, and soon Duffy is without any contract at all. The film is eventually made (for less than half its original budget), and becomes a cult hit on DVD, though Duffy receives no money from its video release. The Brood (then renamed to The Boondock Saints) releases its album, which sells only 690 copies.

Duffy is presented as a victim of his own ego, and as the film progresses he becomes increasingly abusive to his friends, relatives and business partners. According to co-director Montana, "Troy seemed to revel in the attention of Hollywood's lights and our cameras. Only three times during the production did he ask not to be filmed. It was on those occasions that he threatened us.". He made many racial, sexists, and homophobic comments that were not even used in the documentary as Montana didn't want his film to be view as a "hatchet job".[citation needed]