Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank)

Originally Posted by RocShemp
FF was always a cheesy franchise.
This. I could never, ever get into the comic, but enjoyed the movies.
Old 09-01-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I only liked Chiklis, but I didn't like the costume. I always felt he should be bigger and bulkier.
The one decision I liked was that they didnt make The Thing a CGI character. I think he was about as big as they could make him without it looking costumey.
Old 09-01-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad they are rebooting it, but bringing back everyone sans Alba in a 1960's version would be perfect. Having a witty script should be priority and keeping more in line of Doom's royal roots. I do think that it would be best if Marvel had this franchise in conjunction with Namor, because of the natural fit. There are only so many Doom/Galactus/Sliver Surfer stories you can do.

Last edited by gmanca; 09-01-09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I kinda wish they'd a quick dip into the whole Mole Man monster scenario. Not necessarily actually having the guy but having the FF battle it out with these things in NYC. Kinda like the cover showed. That'd be badass.
Old 09-02-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fox will probably reboot X-men as well, thank god. I don't think they'll try any more Daredevil films.
Old 09-02-09, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thing needs to be cgi. him being shorter than the invisible woman/alba was beyond ludicrous. both FF movies were elektra bad. ROTSS was the first movie i ever walked out of, right after they turned the silver surfer into a sissy that's dependant on his board for his power. i have a feeling that disney will somehow buy the rights back. what disney wants, disney gets. i'm sure they will work out a deal worth a lot of incentives to Fox. i look at this way because disney has to, seriously, Fox is destroying the marvel properties they have. if Fox has their way with a reboot, expect to see chris klein and kristin kreuk in it. it will be streetfighter bad.
Old 09-02-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still loved Peyton Reed's take on the material when George Clooney was interested and have it be a period piece taking place in the sixties. Of course, that's such a risky take that Fox would never approve such an idea.

Bring on a reboot. Let's do this material right. It will 99.9% suck with a hack like Goldsman on board, but I'd love to get a director on board who is actually competent and loves the source material going in. I don't want the director of Barbershop or Taxi coming anywhere near this again.

Too bad that the only parts I enjoyed from the original were that of Chiklis and Evans in their roles and am curious if they'd even be considered for a reboot. Too bad McMahon never got to do anything as the material from the original films just downright sucked.
Old 09-02-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
the thing needs to be cgi. him being shorter than the invisible woman/alba was beyond ludicrous.
The Thing is only 6ft tall in the comics. Hes not the Hulk by any means.
Old 09-02-09, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush
The Thing is only 6ft tall in the comics. Hes not the Hulk by any means.
no really!...he's still taller than the invisible woman. in the movies he looks like a freakin midget.
Old 09-02-09, 03:26 AM
Banned

I think that's the issue with the actor's own height. He's the smallest guy in the group.
Old 09-02-09, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a long-time reader of FF, I thought the first two movies were tolerably OK, in that they got some of the things right. The biggest problem I had was Ian Grufford (however the hell you spell his Welsh name) as Mr. Fantastic. He's a fine actor in other stuff, but his "golly-gee shucks I'm just a loveable nerd" take on Reed Richards was just nothing like the RR from the comics. I think George Clooney would have made a great RR, and set in the early 60's---I would love to see that.

Also, I've always seen the FF as "A-list" Marvel characters, and it seems that they got the "B-list" movie treatment compared to some of the other Marvel characters.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 09-02-09 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It always seems to be up to the artist in the comics how big the Thing is. I like it when he is drawn bigger and bulkier. I used to love that Thing/Hulk rivalry.

Also in the films, i missed that very pronounced brow Thing has.
Old 09-02-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next FF4 film, with new cast or not:

1: Fantastic 4 and Silver Surfer convince Galactus to not eat Earth. Silver Surfer/Galactus leave.
2: Fantastic 4 are blamed by "government officials" (whom are actually skrulls in disguise) around the world for all the problems going on and they are hunted to be arrested.
3. FF4 leave the Earth and get involved with the Skrull/Kree War in some other galaxy.
4. The Skulls disguise themselves as innocent victims of the war and make the Krees look like they are the bad guys (Skrulls pretending to be Kree). The Skrull leaders convince the FF4 to get blood/tissue samples from them, so that the Skrulls can make the Super Skrull(s) to fight against the Kree. The Super Skrull(s) is then created. Then the Skrulls show their true colors, and the FF4 realize that the skrulls were playing them and that the Kree are actually not the bad guys.
5. Kree & FF4 versus the Skrulls.
6. Skrulls are too powerful, so FF4 gives a call to Silver Surfer/Galactus. Johnnie Storm tells Galactus "Bon appetite!" Silver Surfer stops the skrulls and Galactus eats the skrull planet.
7. The FF4 go back to earth, expose the skrulls that were pretending to be government officials, and are punished - live as cows on a farm for the rest of their lives. The end!
Old 09-02-09, 10:15 AM
Banned

The problem with the first 2 films is the script, the director, the guy that played Doom and Jessica Alba. She may hot as hell, but she can't act, much less play the role of the all-American looking girl Sue Storm when she is not fucking blonde or even white.

The script was horrible, but it was made worse when the director said that his films would not have robots, hence, Galactus would not appear in a physical form. As soon as he said that, he should have been fired. Ioan Grufford looks and sounds like Reed Richards, but he was in need of a better script and his interaction with Alba made him look like a fool.

They should not reboot, just re-cast and get a better script where they can fix what went wrong in the first 2.
Old 09-02-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Akiva Goldsman? Akiva fucking Goldsman? How has this schmuck not been run out of town yet is a mystery to me. Pretty much everything this hack has written and produced has sucked.

Live action FF is a bad idea anyways - they need to give it to Pixar and have them do a CGI FF.
Old 09-02-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Akiva Goldsman? Akiva fucking Goldsman? How has this schmuck not been run out of town yet is a mystery to me. Pretty much everything this hack has written and produced has sucked.

Live action FF is a bad idea anyways - they need to give it to Pixar and have them do a CGI FF.
Akiva Goldsman may not be a great screenwriter, but his scripts get made into hit movies.

Pixar already made a FF movie, and it was great.
Old 09-02-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I still loved Peyton Reed's take on the material when George Clooney was interested and have it be a period piece taking place in the sixties. Of course, that's such a risky take that Fox would never approve such an idea.
Peyton Reed's DOWN WITH LOVE provided an interesting glimpse of what a 60's-set Fantastic Four movie could look like. The production team captured the feel of a certain breed of light comedy being made during that era that would make an ideal (and idealized!) backdrop for the Fantastic Four, particularly from the comic of the era. I tend to think the tongue-in-cheek humour of the recent FF films would be more at home in a period setting (though obviously not quite as arch as it was in DOWN).

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVDNvRICPVY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVDNvRICPVY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Brian T; 09-02-09 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked Down With Love quite a bit. Got a little weak in the last third. Would have enjoyed a Peyton Reed take on FF. Did anyone catch the FF comic book easter egg in the background of DWL?
Old 09-02-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Pixar already made a FF movie, and it was great.
Haha, I was going to say the same thing. The Incredibles was a blatant rip off of The Fantastic 4, but it was good so who cares? ha
Old 09-02-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't think the first two were that bad, just fun popcorn movies, nothing too serious. But I don't think a reboot would hurt. I'd be interested in an X-Men reboot, too. Maybe First Class will be great.

But I still think the Fantastic Four is a pretty lame comic team but maybe a good remake will change my mind.
Old 09-02-09, 11:08 PM
Banned

What? They're Marvel's First Family. They're great characters that are maybe a bit too out there for a live action film to do right. BUT it's not impossible...it just needs a director with a great team and he/she be damn fluent in the world they are entering.
Old 09-02-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

First, they need to make the FF more dark and brooding ... change it up a little bit ... for example ...

Invisible Woman is a 12 year-old girls who develops her powers as a result of having been a childhood incestuous rape victim (and wishing she was invisible) ... played by Abigail Breslin.

Human Torch was a meth junkie whose mobile trunk-lab blew up ... played by Ryan Reynolds.

The Thing can still get his powers in space ... that's cool, but it only works one time ... no actor, character developed by Jim Henson's Creature shop and based on works by HR Giger

Mr. Fantastic ... uh ... is a stay at home dad -- like Mr. Mom -- who develops a severe reaction to the chemicals in all of the household cleaners ... uh ... Harrison Ford.

... and they need black leather costumes.
Old 09-03-09, 02:31 AM

i always envisioned james cameron helming a fantastic four movie. too bad it will never happen. i just say if they get the characters right, they win over most of the comic book fans. but even that easy task Fox screws up badly. please disney/marvel, do whatever necessary and get all their rights back.
Old 09-03-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I didn't have any problems with the 1st two Fantastic Four movies. I thought they were fun fantasy action flicks. Maybe Part 2 was a little too watered down for the Family crowd since it got a PG rating.

But, question is why is FOX labeling the 3rd movie a "Reboot" Actually I'm quite dumbfounded by this and the suits at WB wanting to do another Superman reboot.

I understand that maybe the scripts weren't that great and Tim Story is probably at best a B-movie director, but the 1st two FF movies made a shit load of money and have probably sold a shitload of DVD's and Blu Rays. Why can't they just keep it in the same Universe and just hire a new director and new writers who are alot more experienced with this genre.

I never heard anything about FOX or the suits at Marvel being unhappy with the 2 movies. IMO, I would assume a "Reboot" means they weren't happy with them for one reason or another.
Old 09-03-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

As for Akiva Goldsman. You either like his work or hate it. The only one that I really hated obviously was Batman and Robin, but that was really early in his career, so I will forgive him for that.

He actually wrote a few episodes and directed 2 episodes of Fringe (FOX TV show) last season and they were excellent.

Looking at his IMDB profile, he's actually produced quite a few Fantasy/Action movies, so I think he's more than suitable handling this project.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.