Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott to host 'At The Movies' (goodbye Ben & Joe!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott to host 'At The Movies' (goodbye Ben & Joe!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott to host 'At The Movies' (goodbye Ben & Joe!)

Cancelled. It will air it's last original show on August 14th 2010.
Old 05-13-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott to host 'At The Movies' (goodbye Ben & Joe!)

I actually think the cancellation is very unfortunate, as these guys are credible, likeable replacements for Siskel/Ebert/Roeper. Anyone want to start up a petition or a letter-writing campaign? I would, but I'm too lazy.
Old 05-13-10, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I don't understand is why doesn't Reelz channel keep them. Is not like they have to many options in their programming.
Old 05-15-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I actually think the cancellation is very unfortunate, as these guys are credible, likeable replacements for Siskel/Ebert/Roeper. Anyone want to start up a petition or a letter-writing campaign? I would, but I'm too lazy.
If the cancelled this with these two guys, the show probably would have been been a gone had Roeper still been in one of the 2 chairs.

When they were doing revolving hosts before they eventually settled on that horrible version with Ben's, these two were easily my favorites. They're quite good at what they do and I'm actually VERY disappointed this show will end.

How will I know what 3 to see?

I guess with so many places to get reviews today, this kind of show just doesn't have a place on tv.
Old 05-15-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
What I don't understand is why doesn't Reelz channel keep them. Is not like they have to many options in their programming.
Seriously. Does the show REALLY cost that much money?
Old 05-15-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shows aren't cheap. You have talent salaries, and all the people who make the show (producers, directors, writers, associate producers, camera men, editors, lighting techs, stage rental, etc.). I don't know what sort of ratings it was getting but obviously Reelz made a business decision not to keep it going.
Old 05-15-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BJacks
Shows aren't cheap. You have talent salaries, and all the people who make the show (producers, directors, writers, associate producers, camera men, editors, lighting techs, stage rental, etc.). I don't know what sort of ratings it was getting but obviously Reelz made a business decision not to keep it going.
Honestly, though, they could have done it out of a garage for all I cared. I watched to see the two guys talking to one another about movies and to play clips of those movies. And both men happen to write for a living, so I'm not sure why there would be writers needed for the show. Obviously, I don't know, but they actually both seem like the kind of guys, both seriously love film, that wouldn't be asking for a lot of money and considering it a honor to do what they do on tv as the cherry on top to their writing careers.

Oh well.
Old 05-16-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Honestly, though, they could have done it out of a garage for all I cared. I watched to see the two guys talking to one another about movies and to play clips of those movies.
Exactly. Of course there are a million places online to find movie reviews, but this is the only remaining TV show about reviewing movies. I think it should be extended to one hour, not cancelled. I used to have reservations about both Phillips and Scott when they were opposite Roeper, but they seem to be a good fit together, and they have grown on me.
I like the back-to-basics format of one review after another, which eschews nonsense like that extra panel of losers that showed up in the previous incarnation. The only element of the show I find disposable is "3 to See".
Old 05-16-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

It would certainly have been better if the damn show were not constantly preempted and moved around all the time. If not for my DVR, I would never have even been able to watch the show last couple years. I can't count how many times my DVR also recorded it and was just some basketball game that went long or something.
Old 05-16-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Of course there are a million places online to find movie reviews, but this is the only remaining TV show about reviewing movies.
The Rotten Tomatoes Show is on TV and isn't completely worthless.
Old 05-16-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
The Rotten Tomatoes Show is on TV and isn't completely worthless.
I don't get that up here. There used to be a half-hour local cable show with two guys reviewing movies, and it wasn't half bad, but it was cancelled a while ago.
Old 05-16-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if there's any chance of this show living on as a podcast. I'm not holding my breath seeing as how Philips is based out of Chicago and Scott out of New York, plus like most podcasts, they likely wouldn't be getting paid, but it'd be nice.
Old 05-16-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott to host 'At The Movies'

My god, how this thread haunts me. I typed the OP one late night many months ago, my sleep deprived mind typing "Ben and Joe" in the thread title. Over the months I expect this thread to have died like most of the others I have started, especially since there was an earlier & better thread dealing with 'At The Movies,' but then I look at my subscribed threads... "Goodbye Ben & Joe!" Joe, d'OH! Why must my dumbest thread be the one to live on?!

So, better late than never, may I request a moderator to delete the "(goodbye Ben & Joe!)" from the title?

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 05-16-10 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Removing the "Ben & Joe" mistake from the title
Old 05-18-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

So this week, while reviewing "Robin Hood", A.O. Scott said that Robin Hood shows up at Maid Marion's estate "pretending to be her dead husband". Did I miss something? When did he do that??