Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Old 10-02-23, 08:20 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

In this apocalyptic thriller from award-winning writer and director Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot), Amanda (Academy Award winner Roberts) and her husband Clay (Academy Award nominee Ethan Hawke), rent a luxurious home for the weekend with their kids, Archie (Charlie Evans) and Rose (Farrah Mackenzie). Their vacation is soon upended when two strangers — G.H. (Academy Award winner Ali) and his daughter Ruth (Myha’la) — arrive in the night, bearing news of a mysterious cyberattack and seeking refuge in the house they claim is theirs. The two families reckon with a looming disaster that grows more terrifying by the minute, forcing everyone to come to terms with their places in a collapsing world. Based on the National Book Award-nominated novel by Rumaan Alam, Leave the World Behind is produced by Esmail Corp, Red Om Films, and executive produced by Higher Ground Productions.

Starring Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke, Myha’la, Farrah Mackenzie, Charlie Evans and Kevin Bacon.

Leave the World Behind will hit Netflix on Dec. 8.
Old 10-04-23, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Familiar territory for Sam Esmail but it'll probably be fun.
Old 10-24-23, 08:41 AM

Re: Leave the World Behind (2023, D: Esmail) S: Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke

Old 12-04-23, 01:09 PM

Out on Friday. Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lea...ld_behind_2023

Old 12-08-23, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow, I really enjoyed that. Very intense. Great acting, direction, screenplay, and cinematography. Some of the shots actually gave me vertigo. Highly recommended.
Old 12-08-23, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I thought it did a good job of building suspense and dread, and the performances were good, but I found the story ultimately unsatisfying. It's all build up and then it ends. And the final scene is too 'cute' and made my eyes roll.
Old 12-08-23, 10:02 PM

I liked this. A lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Daytripper (12-08-23), Throwing Copper (12-12-23)
Old 12-08-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I thought it did a good job of building suspense and dread, and the performances were good, but I found the story ultimately unsatisfying. It's all build up and then it ends. And the final scene is too 'cute' and made my eyes roll.
I didn't mind the ending at all. The story was so bleak at that time, it just showed a child doing what makes her happy. What's wrong with that? Or are you talking about the song that played over the credits? If so, I agree they should have chosen a score or no music at all.
Old 12-09-23, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I didn't mind the ending at all. The story was so bleak at that time, it just showed a child doing what makes her happy. What's wrong with that? Or are you talking about the song that played over the credits? If so, I agree they should have chosen a score or no music at all.
A Netflix film advocating for physical media hoarding!
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Crocker Jarmen (12-19-23), Dan1boy (12-11-23)
Old 12-09-23, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Like I said, I found that ending a little too cute. She's been complaining the entire movie about not being able to watch the last episode of Friends, and then as the world falls apart she finally is able to see it. It's just kind of ham-fisted. They might as well have had her turn to the camera and wink as the theme music played.

There were several things I liked about the movie, too. The plane on the beach, the Teslas, and the scene at Kevin Bacon's house were good. The scene where George and his daughter first show up and the dilemma that presents for both families is interesting. That conflict plays out for a while, but it should have remained a focus of the story for longer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
Dan1boy (12-11-23), IBJoel (01-04-24)
Old 12-09-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I just watched it today. I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't like the abrupt ending.
Spoiler:
I wanted it to go on longer. Maybe showing everyone else finding the house and getting set up in it and maybe showing things in the future after they'd been in there for awhile. A scene jump to a year or so later.

Old 12-10-23, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed this a lot. I will say it is weirdly discomforting
Spoiler:
that a former POTUS produced a pro-prepper movie that features the line "Sometimes the most you can hope for is a heads up."

It kinda felt like an extended pilot for a series, and I'd definitely watch a follow-up. Seeking Friends for the End of the World.
Old 12-12-23, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I really enjoyed this... loved that far away shot of NYC going apocolyptic.
Old 12-12-23, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

It was odd to see the Obamas get a production credit. This book was amazing and I kind of wish it had stayed truer to the book. I liked the movie but I think they went too far with Julia Roberts being so bitchty for the first 2/3rd of the movie. She became very unlikeable which is not the norm for her. I dont see myself watching this again any time soon. Maybe after a re-read down the road to see how far it deviated as it's been a year or more since I read the book.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
DeanoBKN (12-26-23), kahuna (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I liked the plot a lot.

I wasn’t crazy about everything being over stylized. I think it is part of why I wasn’t immersed. Maybe it wasn’t right for the material, which is quite grounded in reality.

Also should we be worried that the Obamas wanted to tell this story?
Old 12-12-23, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Also should we be worried that the Obamas wanted to tell this story?
That made the whole thing creepier

Also I saw this earlier and it made me think of the movie: https://www.facebook.com/share/r/ycF...ibextid=saVFRo
Old 12-12-23, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, I don’t mean to discredit the filmmakers work. But this is basically directed and structured like an M Night movie.
Old 12-12-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I don’t mean to discredit the filmmakers work. But this is basically directed and structured like an M Night movie.
Definitely gives off M Night vibes. During the first half or so of this movie, I was thinking of The Happening, and I haven't even seen The Happening. Some obvious Knock at the Cabin comparisons, too.
Old 12-12-23, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Will finish it up tomorrow and got about 3/4 through before I had to cut it off. We'll see how it ends but feels like Knock on the Cabinesque so far.
Old 12-14-23, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Remember everyone, stay away from us white People if we ever lose all power - we will turn into psychos and try to oppress you.
The following users liked this post:
DeanoBKN (12-26-23)
Old 12-19-23, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Felt the same.
Spoiler:
And would a prepper have copies of Friends?

Too many puzzle pieces that didn't fit.
Old 12-19-23, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

It definitely needs a part II
Old 12-19-23, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
A sequel would be fun to watch. That other Civil War movie comes out in spring.

I think the Friends ending was irreverent. It had a name to the episode. I think it is simply a way to end the story.

I liked the apocalyptic misdirection. I'd still like to see the movie where logical people just say what's happening. When you think about it, Mahershala could have been like, "here's what happening, here's the best we can hope for, here is what we'll do". Likewise, zombies will be much easier to handle when it actually happens. I guess, except for those unwilling to accept it's zombies and want to keep restaurants open and whatnot.
Old 12-19-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Spoiler:
A sequel would be fun to watch. That other Civil War movie comes out in spring.

I think the Friends ending was irreverent. It had a name to the episode. I think it is simply a way to end the story.

I liked the apocalyptic misdirection. I'd still like to see the movie where logical people just say what's happening. When you think about it, Mahershala could have been like, "here's what happening, here's the best we can hope for, here is what we'll do". Likewise, zombies will be much easier to handle when it actually happens. I guess, except for those unwilling to accept it's zombies and want to keep restaurants open and whatnot.
It seemed to me the ending was a cheeky metaphor for the theme of the story
Spoiler:
In disaster, you can't be insular, and rely only on family. For society to survive, you need to have friends.
Old 12-19-23, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I really enjoyed this. The Tesla scene freaked me out.
The following users liked this post:
Dan1boy (12-20-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.