Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It Might Get Loud - 2009 Jimmy Page, The Edge, Jack White

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-21-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No thread that I can find. This opened on Aug 14, 2009 and is a documentary from Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth)

"A documentary on the electric guitar from the point of view of three significant rock musicians: the Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White."

Trailer:

720P
http://movies.apple.com/movies/sony/...tloud_720p.mov

1080P
http://movies.apple.com/movies/sony/...loud_1080p.mov

I saw it on Sunday and thought it was very interesting and especially liked the Jack White parts. (I am a huge U2 fan so Edge was cool, but they seemed to show quite a bit of him) Could have had more on Jimmy Page, but overall very enjoyable!
Old 08-21-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: It Might Get Loud - 2009 Jimmy Page, The Edge, Jack White

Saw the trailer a few weeks ago in front of Moon. Looking forward to this.
Old 08-21-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I also saw the trailer in front of Moon, but I couldn't help to think why Jack White? You've got the legendary Jimmy Page, U2's Edge and then... Jack White? He doesn't seem to fit. He may be talented, but he doesn't have nearly the litany of accomplishments the other 2 have. I'm not a big fan of Led Zep (heresy, I know) or U2 (in fact, I loathe them), so I doubt I'd see this anyways. Just sayin' is all...
Old 08-21-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah...I saw the trailer before Moon as well. The trailer said something about three icons. I turned to my friend and said, "Two icons and Jack Black." Jack Black will always be a wannabe compared to those two. Always.
Old 08-21-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Jack Black will always be a wannabe compared to those two. Always.
Well sure, but the man is an actor first and a musician second. Tropic Thunder was fantastic, most will agree.

As for Jack White, he and his bands tend to have some of the more unique sounds heard on the radio today. I'd be interested to see this and how he relates to the other two.
Old 08-21-09, 11:46 PM

I'd call it more interesting than enjoyable. It seemed edited to give everyone equal time and so it never got rolling. On the other hand if you didn't like a segment it was over soon. I really liked the vintage Page and U2 footage. Bono channeling Ray Davies was priceless.
Old 08-22-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get all the hate for Jack White. Now, I'm NOT a huge JW music fan (Rarely listen to White Stripes, I think his best band), Didn't like The Raconteurs, and heard one song of The Dead Weather and didn't hate it...but I did find him the most interesting in a way in the movie. He KNOWS he's the "third wheel", "lesser guy" in the movie, but he seems honest as an artist and pretty different. I had more respect walking out of the movie for him.

DeFans comments are pretty dead on...
Old 08-22-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
^ I also saw the trailer in front of Moon, but I couldn't help to think why Jack White? You've got the legendary Jimmy Page, U2's Edge and then... Jack White? He doesn't seem to fit. He may be talented, but he doesn't have nearly the litany of accomplishments the other 2 have. I'm not a big fan of Led Zep (heresy, I know) or U2 (in fact, I loathe them), so I doubt I'd see this anyways. Just sayin' is all...
They were trying to get three generations of guitarists. Who else would you pick from the last 10 years who's well known and actually rooted in true rock and roll?
Old 08-22-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Been waiting for this for almost a year now.

Jack White is an amazing guitarist, and like cungar said, who else could they pick?

But seriously, The White Stripes are not my favorite band, but ask most musicians and they will tell you that Jack White is one of the best guitarists working is music today.
Old 08-24-09, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now that I get what the film is about I don't have an issue with White. He's going to the other guys for knowledge so that makes sense.

I still think it's a bit much to call him an Icon along with Page in the promo copy, but whatever.
Old 08-24-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this the other day. Being a guitarist myself (with both Page and The Edge being huge influences), I dug it - though none of the information was new to me, I enjoyed it all the same, and since I agree with these three guys across the board on music and guitar playing (my style's like an amalgamation of all three), it was like they were speaking for me. What's funny is if you're familiar with Page, you know that he's not the most articulate chap out there, so hearing his interviews heavily edited to make some sense was amusing. I thought Jack White was probably the most interesting cat out of the three, as far as his influences and his lo-fi approach to music, just getting to the raw emotion of things. While I've always kinda liked his output (especially The Raconteurs), I walked away with a new found appreciation for the man.

But I'm not sure how much value this documentary would have to non-musicians.

I hope there will be huge chunks of deleted scenes on the bluray/dvd.
Old 08-24-09, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Jack Black will always be a wannabe compared to those two. Always.
I remember back in '80 or '81 people said similar things about The Edge - "he relies too much on effects", "anybody could play what he plays", etc. Now he's a legend.

A little bit of perspective helps. Doing what Jack White does isn't easy - being the lead singer and guitarist/keyboardist in a band that only has one other member, a very minimalist drummer. In that (admittedly self-imposed) context, he's probably a far better guitar player than Jimmy Page or Dave Evans could ever hope to be.
Old 08-24-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this trailer in front of Moon and have been looking forward to it. Now that its out Im going to have to check it out and leave my impressions when I get back. As for Jack White, he is one of my favorite guitarists of this generation. He may not be an Icon yet but there is no denying his talent.
Old 01-08-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I don't get all the hate for Jack White. Now, I'm NOT a huge JW music fan (Rarely listen to White Stripes, I think his best band), Didn't like The Raconteurs, and heard one song of The Dead Weather and didn't hate it...but I did find him the most interesting in a way in the movie. He KNOWS he's the "third wheel", "lesser guy" in the movie, but he seems honest as an artist and pretty different. I had more respect walking out of the movie for him.
This was my thought also. I knew Jack White was regarded as a talented guitar player, but I definitely have more respect for him. I especially liked that his first guitar (used for 10 years) came from Montgomery Ward.
Old 01-09-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you asked me which one of the 3 doesn't belong, my immediate answer would be The Edge. That's just my opinion. I don't know how this slipped past me. I'm gonna check this out.
Old 01-09-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Funny, I was thinking "Why Edge?" you have two outstanding raw gutiar players in Page & White and then.......Edge??
Old 01-09-12, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
If you asked me which one of the 3 doesn't belong, my immediate answer would be The Edge. That's just my opinion. I don't know how this slipped past me. I'm gonna check this out.
Exactly what I thought. The Edge doesn't have the chops for a good guitar player, he just experiments with sounds.

This about sums up my feelings towards him: