DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The movies in The Golden Turkey Awards (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/560116-movies-golden-turkey-awards.html)

KaBluie 08-19-09 04:01 PM

The movies in The Golden Turkey Awards

I've had this book since it came out & I flip through it three or four times a week at least.

I've watched alot of movies just because they were mentioned in this book.

We all know by now what the 'fake' movie is but I'm still wondering about some of the others.

The movie I thought was the 'fake' one is "Torn By The Knife" the sequel to "Chained For Life" (1950) it's not on the IMDb, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere but in this book.
Anybody seen it?

"Pachuco" (1956) & "Space Jockey" both directed by Phil Tucker. Neither one is in his IMDb entry. "SJ" is lost but plenty of lost films are on IMDb.
Anybody seen "Pachuco"?

My mom thinks "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes" (1978) is the 'fake' movie. Even after seeing it she believes they just threw that piece of junk together after reading this book.

Anyone else with fond memories of the movies in this book?

Chet Desmond 08-19-09 05:35 PM

Re: The movies in The Golden Turkey Awards

Back when I was a kid I actually wrote the Medveds about the fake movie. At the time, I thought it was "Blackenstein" but they kindly wrote back and gave me this hint - "The movie is an even bigger 'dog' than that one". I wrote again and correctly guessed the fake movie was "Dog of Norway" - they wrote back again and said the pic of the dog in the book was their pet.
The book is a bit snarky, but I enjoyed the hell out of it back then.

The Antipodean 08-20-09 12:17 AM

I loved this book, it turned me on to some great trash cinema. What tone other than snarky would you have for it, anyway? ;)

Ash Ketchum 08-20-09 09:14 AM

In 1980 I went to the very first World's Worst Film Festival based on the Medveds' books and hosted by the Medveds, who introduced some of the films. Screenwriter David Newman (BONNIE AND CLYDE, SUPERMAN) introduced Ed Wood's GLEN OR GLENDA. It was amazing to see PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE for the first time there, with a packed, appreciative audience (at the huge Beacon Theater in Manhattan). What a great time at the movies. I'm not sure offhand how many other movies I saw there, but I know I saw ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES (which kind of fell flat with the audience) and THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN.

Groucho 08-20-09 09:18 AM

This was a great book. Too bad Michael Medved has gone off the deep end in more recent years.

Chet Desmond 08-20-09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc (Post 9657363)
What tone other than snarky would you have for it, anyway? ;)

Why, utter and complete reverence of course! :D