Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread
33.64%
35.02%
16.59%
6.45%
3.23%
0.92%
1.84%
0%
0%
0%
1.38%
"Nein nein nein nein nein nein!"
0.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread

Old 08-22-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Is this correct? I haven't been able to find any evidence that it's a re-recording. Sounds like a remixed version to me.
We may be splitting hairs. It was a different arrangement tempo-wise, which I would think would require new vocals to be recorded. At any rate, it was interesting and unexpected given the juxtaposing of the time periods.
Old 08-22-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Spoiler:
"Un Amico" is the track that plays right after Shosanna puts her gun down and looks at Zoller's body. I became an immediate lover of the song when I was first introduced to it when the soundtrack-details were first announced (Being a Morricone piece, it's from the film, Revolver)

I wasn't quite prepared that Tarantino would do something magical with the song once the drums kick in....But knowing Tarantino, I shouldn't have been surprised.

Loved all the other tons of nods pertaining to cinema. Ranging from Emil Jannings to "Antonio Margharetti" to the films of G. W. Pabst (Which I happen to be checking out for the upcoming Criterion-challenge)
Mondo, I'm with you on this one. I ABSOLUTELY loved that scene and Un Amico was perfect for it. my favorite scene in a long while.

Secretly, i'm kind of glad that Morricone wasn't able to do the soundtrack as I don't think he has the same flavor now that he did back in the 70s. Not to take away from the master, but could anyone see anything besides Un Amico being used for that scene?

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 08-22-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
We may be splitting hairs. It was a different arrangement tempo-wise, which I would think would require new vocals to be recorded. At any rate, it was interesting and unexpected given the juxtaposing of the time periods.
I just ordered the soundtrack on vinyl (if you order it from the official Basterds soundtrack website you get a free 45 of Cat People included), so I'll have to play that back against the CD, but I don't think it's re-recorded. That track is one of my all time favorite Bowie songs (and Bowie is my favorite rock artist), and this didn't sound drastically different to me.
Old 08-22-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back from seeing it. I loved it. Thought the last line of the film was a nice little wink at the audience.
Old 08-22-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just ordered the soundtrack on vinyl (if you order it from the official Basterds soundtrack website you get a free 45 of Cat People included), so I'll have to play that back against the CD, but I don't think it's re-recorded. That track is one of my all time favorite Bowie songs (and Bowie is my favorite rock artist), and this didn't sound drastically different to me.
You're right, it's the remix version that was previously released, not the version on Let's Dance however.
Old 08-22-09, 06:05 PM
Banned

Cat People (putting out fire) from the flm sounds exactly like the Version i have on this CD set:

The liner notes refer to it as the "Film version Single Edit"
Old 08-22-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great movie ... QT does not disappoint ... great tension, great dialog

I hope there is a longer cut as well

I was kind of surprised he used chapter markers so similar to KB1 and 2

by the way I saw the 3:45 showing of this today (packed theater) and the average age in the room had to be at least 60 .... I had to step out a couple times and double check the marquee to make sure I was in the right theater
Old 08-22-09, 08:00 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
You're right, it's the remix version that was previously released, not the version on Let's Dance however.
OK, I see your confusion. "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" was recorded for the 1982 film Cat People. Bowie re-recorded it (in a far inferior version) for his 1983 album Let's Dance, and performed it live as the Let's Dance version. I don't think he ever performed it live in its original version, which is a shame, because the original has such wonderful atmosphere and brooding vocals. The Let's Dance version is too busy and too fast.
Old 08-22-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just saw this during the afternoon. I may go again later tonight or tomorrow.

This was (is) the best movie movie I have seen so far this year. It will be very hard to top. If the Academy Awards do not nominate it for Best Picture with their 10 nomination slots this year it will be a travesty.

Thank you Quentin Tarantino for continuing to make the best movies I have ever seen.
Old 08-22-09, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

I have a hard time seeing the Academy nominate this. Has any QT film other than Pulp Fiction ever been nominated for best picture?
Old 08-22-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hated DEATH PROOF, and the trailer for INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was doing absolutely nothing for me. Still I rolled the dice and decided to give it a go. Any movie that kicks off with Dimitri Tiomkin's music from one of my all-time favorite films - John Wayne's THE ALAMO (1960) - rates A-1 in my book (though I do admit it drove me nuts trying to place the music until it finally clicked in maybe ten minutes later). I thought Tarantino did a marvelous all-around job with INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS. There were many and varied examples of filmmaking excellence to be found in the movie. The trailer (thankfully) is really not representative of the final effort, and something like Brad Pitt's accent which was off-putting to me in the trailer actually works just fine within the context of the entire film. The film was very humorous on a number of occasions, and suspenseful when required. The violence - when it did come - was powerful. I was impressed by the characters and storytelling, and the extended dialogue-driven set pieces. Generally speaking, it was a fine piece of entertainment. While I don't have any significant complaints, a nitpick is that I did find Eli Roth a little bit bland and would have been curious to see how the role might have played out with maybe someone like Ben Affleck (and he is a big baseball fan from Boston (though he needs to learn not to interfere with the home team trying to catch foul balls in the first row of the stands)). I'm a very conservative grader, and I generally don't give out perfect scores (especially on one-time viewings of new movies), so I'll score INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS at 4/5. I think Tarantino should take great pride in what he delivered with this film.
Old 08-22-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for anyone ordering the soundtrack, play the game and make it to level 4 or so and get a 10% off coupon.
Old 08-22-09, 09:12 PM
Banned by request

Aww man, I had no clue that was an option. Still, they listed the soundtrack at $24.99 on the site, but when I ordered it, it was discounted to $19.99 and I still got the free Cat People single with it.
Old 08-22-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Loved it. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I was pretty bummed when
Spoiler:
Shosanna got killed, so close to finishing her master plan. Seemed weird she'd go check on him like that.
They may not all be masterpieces, but no one makes a film like Tarantino.
Old 08-22-09, 09:20 PM

I've liked all of Tarantino's films to an extent, but apart from Pulp Fiction and Grindhouse as a whole experience I sort of only praise them by setting them off to the side and adding a bunch of qualifiers. But Inglourious Basterds, which looked so iffy on paper and was so awfully marketed, was just incredible. Easily his best since PF, with nearly every scene of dialogue generating some degree of tension or laughs (often both). His actors were perfectly chosen (it helps that most of them don't get more than a few lines and just look the part; like Roth) and the direction was outstanding, even by his standards. My two favorite films of the year so far are The Hurt Locker, and this. It's like the full range of the war film spectrum in a nutshell.
Old 08-22-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
They may not all be masterpieces, but no one makes a film like Tarantino.

Saw it, and I totally agree. The movie was more of an espionage kind of movie IMO with the Basterds serving as a backdrop than anything else, but it was well done and for that I commend QT. The movie kind of reminded of True Romance in the way it was written with all of the different little plot threads coming together at the end. I LOVED how they used David Bowie's "Cat People" song, with the Giorgio Morodor score no less! I think the only problem I had with the movie was that it drug a bit in the middle, but that's kind of knit picking.

I will also say that if Chrisoph Walts does not get an award nomination, or the award itself for Best Supporting Actor, then it would prove the academy is full of crap. I don't think I have seen a movie villain with such a strong presence since Heath Ledger as the Joker.
Old 08-22-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a hard time seeing the Academy nominate this. Has any QT film other than Pulp Fiction ever been nominated for best picture?
With the proposed "10 nominations" ballot, it'll likely be a lock.

Originally Posted by musick View Post
by the way I saw the 3:45 showing of this today (packed theater) and the average age in the room had to be at least 60 .... I had to step out a couple times and double check the marquee to make sure I was in the right theater
A number of old folks at my showing too. No walkouts on the gory stuff though. They're developing stronger stomachs!
Old 08-22-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe audiences are getting better? Also (granted it was a midnight showing), there were no complaints of all the subtitles either
Old 08-22-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't expect this film to be that good. This film is excellent! As a jew, it's a true fantasy film, and I actually cried towards the end of the film. I didn't expect to be so moved from what the Bear Jew does at the end of the film. This film also had the biggest and longest applause at the end of the film.

Christoph Walz will be Oscar-nominated. Although the whole cast was excellent, from the father hiding to the jews at the beginning of the film, to Michael Fassbender and Til Schweiger...
Old 08-22-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the older audience is because it is a WWII era film. I saw the Tom Cruise Valkyrie movie & there were a lot of older people there as well. I wouldn't think older people would line up for Tarentino or Pitt but a movie set during a time they remember might bring them out.
Old 08-22-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ that's what I kept telling myself in the theater but I think I chalk it up maybe more to the time of day and the theater/area it was playing
Old 08-22-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would be shocked if it is NOT nominated. Don't forget, they're nominating 10 Best Pictures this year.

But even if they were still just doing 5, this would make it. WW2, Jews, critical acclaim (Ebert's calling it the best film of the year), better-than-expected box office, superb bunch of performances (most Academy voters are actors), the perception that this is something of a comeback for Tarantino (after the Grindhouse bomb)= definitely a good night at the Oscars for the Basterds.
Old 08-23-09, 12:25 AM
Banned by request

Well, I sure hope it is, because it deserves it.
Old 08-23-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this at a 10:30 am screening in a 3/4 full house, with an unusually well-behaved crowd.
I read as little as I could about the film in order to see it with fresh eyes. The trailer was, however, unavoidable and completely misrepresents the film - I was prepared for a Coen Brothers-type comedy!
I found the film completely entertaining and highly enjoyable; Tarantino's love of cinema is what his movies are about and I think it's more palpable here than any of his other films. However, all of the movie references and music cues were a bit distracting for me; I'm betting this movie would play a lot better to less hardcore movie fans; I found my self name-checking so much (ah, a cue from The Mercenary...hey, Antonio Margharetti!) that it at times pulled me out of the film. Lately it seems QT is far too interested in displaying the breadth of his film knowledge than the nuts and bolts of his story.
Strong acting all around - Brad Pitt in particular as a truly heroic character, and Laurent and Waltz anchoring the film splendidly. I thought Eli Roth was unimpressive in what should have been a kickass scene. He has a great face, but should give up acting and stick to directing - better yet...uh,never mind.
All in all, after "Death Proof", it was great to see Tarantino rebound with such an excellent film.
Old 08-23-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162 View Post
Tarantino's love of cinema is what his movies are about and I think it's more palpable here than any of his other films. However, all of the movie references and music cues were a bit distracting for me;
Well, I'm always looking forward to what he uses.
Since Kill Bill, I've been getting such joy to go to my little old, local theater and hearing tunes from Death Rides a Horse and Navajo Joe blasting out of the theater's speakers. And now with this film, I can crack a big smile when I recognize music from The Big Gundown or Slaughter.

It's also such a treat to see young'uns (And certain older folks, as well) get introduced to a certain type of film-music that they're just never accustomed to hearing in this day & age (Considering that this "Cool" music often came from mundane and "Trashy" cinema--And now he's put it in the appearance of mainstream film) I just can't help to applaud him for what he's doing.

Going back tomorrow for the 1:00pm showing.

Nice DVD collection,BTW, Mike!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.