Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread
33.64%
35.02%
16.59%
6.45%
3.23%
0.92%
1.84%
0%
0%
0%
1.38%
"Nein nein nein nein nein nein!"
0.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread

Old 08-26-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) The Reviews Thread

The subtitles I think are just meant as a tounge in cheek joke... We know what both the words mean, so just throw them in to see if anyone is paying attention.
Old 08-26-09, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
3. Jackie Brown (is this one not as appreciated cuz of the '70s black vibe or what?)
I think it's because it's the least like his other films, but I think it's brilliant. When Shaft was remade, Armond White (who is an IRL troll but occasionally makes some great points), noted that he'd rather have seen Richard Roundtree in the role and have the film not be a cheap remake and cash-grab at the nostalgia of blaxploitation but instead a rumination on what such characters would make of the world 30 years later. That's pretty much what I see in Jackie Brown: it's Pam Grier indirectly reprising her biggest roles and processing them though middle age and a changed world. Technically and lyrically, it's Tarantino's most mature work, and a great deal of the reason I loved Basterds so much is that it combined the freewheeling New Wave revelry of Pulp Fiction with the maturity and subtle film statement of JB. My top three QT is pretty much interchangeable.
Old 08-26-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Saw this last night...enjoyed the fuck out of it. And this was my first QT film on the big screen (I have seen everything else on some sort of video).

A few observations I made (in no specific order):

- The A.D.D. audience I was with, seemed to actually dig the subtitles. That was a shock.

- The trailer of film gave a few members of the audience a different impression. The voiced their displeasure at the end. One person behind me noted that Brad Pitt was barely in it.

- My father's complaint and to some degree mine, why was there no mention to Shosanna's family at some point later in the film?

- The opening sequence was not met with any gasps in the crowd I was in. But when Bridget von Hammersmark was killed, the crowd voiced their displeasure. I found this to be rather interesting.

- The projector cut out (how ironic) during the bar sequence. Thankfully, the scene right after it came back on, explained the other. Funniest line from the crowd, "You bastards fix the Basterds".

- Christoph Waltz should be a household name after this film.

- The casting was fantastic. QT knows his craft and this is no exception.

- I read a few reviews prior to the film about Eli Roth. For such a big stink made out of him being in it, he has a grand total of 15 mins of screen time. And he is actually pretty funny when he is in.

- For the first time in a long time, I got some kick ass trailers. The Wolfman looks phenomenal.
Old 08-26-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
- For the first time in a long time, I got some kick ass trailers. The Wolfman looks phenomenal.
Really? We ended up with Sorority Row, Gamer, and I think one other crap one I can't even remember.
Old 08-26-09, 09:11 AM
Banned

Saw this last night...enjoyed the fuck out of it. And this was my first QT film on the big screen (I have seen everything else on some sort of video).

A few observations I made (in no specific order):

- The A.D.D. audience I was with, seemed to actually dig the subtitles. That was a shock.

- The trailer of film gave a few members of the audience a different impression. The voiced their displeasure at the end. One person behind me noted that Brad Pitt was barely in it.

- My father's complaint and to some degree mine, why was there no mention to Shosanna's family at some point later in the film?

- The opening sequence was not met with any gasps in the crowd I was in. But when Bridget von Hammersmark was killed, the crowd voiced their displeasure. I found this to be rather interesting.

- The projector cut out (how ironic) during the bar sequence. Thankfully, the scene right after it came back on, explained the other. Funniest line from the crowd, "You bastards fix the Basterds".

- Christoph Waltz should be a household name after this film.

- The casting was fantastic. QT knows his craft and this is no exception.

- I read a few reviews prior to the film about Eli Roth. For such a big stink made out of him being in it, he has a grand total of 15 mins of screen time. And he is actually pretty funny when he is in.

Yeah, I was amazed at how my crowd accepted the subtitles too. I was amazed at the group of people I brought were fine with it. Granted I'm sure one girl didn't like all the subtitles but everybody else was cool with it

Why would there need to be? My crowd was fine with it, it was kinda expected considering that's what the Nazis did at times. Yeah, I think the Von Hammersmark scene got the most reaction over the beginning cuz it's a man choking a woman. She was doing some intense acting in there for sure. First it's Landa being all calm and serious and BAM...crazy shit happens there.

I do hope Waltz becomes more well known. Certainly a man used well by QT. I'd like to see what he does next and how it ranks next to Landa, will it be a better role or different enough where one can appreciate it? Cuz that's a fucking hard character to top

I've never seen a Roth film, just not my cup of tea really. I never understood all the hate for him and his acting. He was fine in Death Proof, nothing special. I loved him in this though. The whole accent and buildup of the character. He was my second favorite of the basterds. 1st being Hugo Stiglitz who was just so fucking hilarious. The man was not one to fuck about with his mission and time. Also...his name intro got a laugh too. Oh...Hugo.....
Old 08-26-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37 View Post
I think it's because it's the least like his other films, but I think it's brilliant. When Shaft was remade, Armond White (who is an IRL troll but occasionally makes some great points), noted that he'd rather have seen Richard Roundtree in the role and have the film not be a cheap remake and cash-grab at the nostalgia of blaxploitation but instead a rumination on what such characters would make of the world 30 years later. That's pretty much what I see in Jackie Brown: it's Pam Grier indirectly reprising her biggest roles and processing them though middle age and a changed world. Technically and lyrically, it's Tarantino's most mature work, and a great deal of the reason I loved Basterds so much is that it combined the freewheeling New Wave revelry of Pulp Fiction with the maturity and subtle film statement of JB. My top three QT is pretty much interchangeable.
Nice to see Armond White quoted favorably, something pretty uncommon on the web.
Old 08-26-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Really? We ended up with Sorority Row, Gamer, and I think one other crap one I can't even remember.
We showed up as the Avatar trailer was on, and the movie pretty much started after that.

Another cool poster:

Last edited by RichC2; 08-26-09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
I also got:

Armored (Matt Dillion and armored truck heist, looks decent)

Law Abiding Citizen (Jaime Foxx and Gerard Butler in a pyschological piece, looks amazing!)

Christmas Carol (Not my cup of tea, but looks like it might be fun)

Halloween II (Has been making the rounds on TV, but works much better on the big screen)
Old 08-26-09, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Yeah, I was amazed at how my crowd accepted the subtitles too. I was amazed at the group of people I brought were fine with it. Granted I'm sure one girl didn't like all the subtitles but everybody else was cool with it

Why would there need to be? My crowd was fine with it, it was kinda expected considering that's what the Nazis did at times. Yeah, I think the Von Hammersmark scene got the most reaction over the beginning cuz it's a man choking a woman. She was doing some intense acting in there for sure. First it's Landa being all calm and serious and BAM...crazy shit happens there.

I do hope Waltz becomes more well known. Certainly a man used well by QT. I'd like to see what he does next and how it ranks next to Landa, will it be a better role or different enough where one can appreciate it? Cuz that's a fucking hard character to top

I've never seen a Roth film, just not my cup of tea really. I never understood all the hate for him and his acting. He was fine in Death Proof, nothing special. I loved him in this though. The whole accent and buildup of the character. He was my second favorite of the basterds. 1st being Hugo Stiglitz who was just so fucking hilarious. The man was not one to fuck about with his mission and time. Also...his name intro got a laugh too. Oh...Hugo.....
Interesting...my co-worker thinks because it is QT that is why subtitles were OK. I think there is some validity to that.

Waltz is the film. I loved his character and his acting...an excellent job.

I too never got the Eli Roth hate. I have seen his films and I loved them (really enjoyed the Hostel series more so than Cabin Fever). But I have no idea why so much venom is spit on this guy...it really doesn't make sense. But I like his stuff and that is all I care about. And I thought Roth played the typical Bostonian to the letter. And the bit with him being Italian was funny as well.
Old 08-26-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also got:

Armored (Matt Dillion and armored truck heist, looks decent)

Law Abiding Citizen (Jaime Foxx and Gerard Butler in a pyschological piece, looks amazing!)

Christmas Carol (Not my cup of tea, but looks like it might be fun)

Halloween II (Has been making the rounds on TV, but works much better on the big screen)
I walked in halfway through trailers and the ones I saw were Halloween II (looks more like House of 1000 Corpses Part 9), and The Wolf Man, which looks like a lot of fun.
Old 08-26-09, 12:09 PM

I really enjoyed the film but the experience was nearly ruined by the presentation. I saw the film in a theater that is normally 100% digital but IB was shown on 35mm - is this something Tarantino requested? I know he loves film over digital but if he saw what I did he might change his mind.

There was maybe one reel that did not have big green vertical scratches running through the entirety. At first I thought this might be intentional but dismissed the idea as the reels changed with jarring effect and I knew the print had been damaged. The sound was also very muffled with the first 5 minutes of dialogue barely intelligible - someone complained and the volume was turned up which just added a loud hiss and the sound remained muffled.

Great film, terrible presentation, I will eagerly anticipate the Blu-Ray and maybe try to find another theater to see if I have a better experience.
Old 08-26-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you complain after the fact?

And I'm pretty sure Tarantino had nothing to do with it, IB was shown in DLP at every theater in my city.
Old 08-26-09, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Another cool poster:

I like that better than any of the "official" ones they used.
Old 08-26-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you complain after the fact?

And I'm pretty sure Tarantino had nothing to do with it, IB was shown in DLP at every theater in my city.
I saw it in Sony 4K. Damn fine presentation shown by my local Muvico.
Old 08-26-09, 03:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Nice to see Armond White quoted favorably, something pretty uncommon on the web.
Given that the guy is pretty close to insane, and only makes a good point once in a blue moon, I don't see why he would be mentioned favorably often. Even Ebert wrote an article called "In Defense of Armond White" where he defended White's opinion on District 9, then the next day changed it to "Not In Defense of Armond White" and explained that while he still felt his points about D9 were valid, Ebert looked deeper into White's body of criticism and found that he couldn't support him.

Another cool poster:

I love this poster! Has a very Indiana Jones vibe to it.
Old 08-26-09, 07:30 PM

I hated this movie. Worst movie of the year so far. Just a really boring movie.
Old 08-26-09, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by godzilla rules View Post
I hated this movie. Worst movie of the year so far. Just a really boring movie.
yet, you liked the remake of Halloween..
Old 08-26-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
yet, you liked the remake of Halloween..
he also hated watchmen and observe and report...which along with inglourious basterds make up 3 of my top 5 for the year so far.
Old 08-26-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that poster a Struzan or a good looking knockoff?
Old 08-26-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An interview with the illustrator, James Goodridge, is on posterwire.com.
Old 08-26-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=RichC2;9669857]We showed up as the Avatar trailer was on, and the movie pretty much started after that.

Another cool poster (snip)

Like everything but the girl running for her life in the background. I know it's important to the story and film. It just doesn't do it for me in the poster. Everything else is beautiful.

I want to respond to all the negative comments about Eli Roth in this thread, give the guy a break. He's not an actor, nor has he ever claimed to be. And he most certainly didn't bring the film down. He wasn't in it enough. He was serviceable at best for what he had to do. Also, I just caught him on "Chelsea Lately" and I like him even more. He's a great guy!

And last, to Gozilla Rules.....you need to see more movies. Clearly.
Old 08-27-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
he also hated watchmen and observe and report...which along with inglourious basterds make up 3 of my top 5 for the year so far.
I also hated Watchmen and Observe and Report. O&R is actually the worst movie I've seen all year.
Old 08-27-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It took me awhile to post a review, but I did it a few days ago even though I saw it at midnight on Thursday. Here's a link: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38294...ious-basterds/

Additionally, here's my ranking of Tarantino's previous movies.

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)/Jackie Brown (1997)
I go back and forth on these. Either way, though, Jackie Brown is criminally underrated. It's Tarantino's most mature work, and it expertly blends both his trademark style and a set of more genuine characters. Unlike Marsellus Wallace or Bill, I believe that there are Ordell Robbies in the world. Robert Forster is also amazing, and even though their parts are extremely limited, it represents some of the last respectable work Robert De Niro and Michael Keaton have done.

2. Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof (2007) [Extended and Unrated]
Also, in my opinion, criminally underrated, although I understand the appeal of the movie is lost on people. Maybe people just find the characters unlikable, but I happen to enjoy listening to them talk, because it's all clever, sharply-observed exposition or tension-building chatter, and like he does with most of his actors, he draws out one of Kurt Russell's best performances.

3. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Just as good at the tension-building and exposition, but the dialogue rarely has the full flair of Tarantino's usual lines. The third act is gangbusters though.

4. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)/Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004)
I like Kill Bill Vol. 1. Perhaps the thing holding me back from loving it is that I also only like Uma Thurman instead of loving her. I'm not saying she's bad in this, I just mean in general, as an actress. Aside from her, the movie is visually stunning and a violent blast all the way through. I also like Kill Bill Vol. 2, but not as much as Vol. 1. Not because of the lacking action/slower pace, mind you (I did just rank Inglourious Basterds, Death Proof and Jackie Brown above it, didn't I?), but I think because the Budd material isn't that interesting to me (although the grave thing is cool), nor is Michael Parks as Esteban, which has gotta be at least 45 or more minutes of the movie. If only, somehow, the movie was just Pai Mei, Elle vs. The Bride, and David Carradine talking for two hours, it might have been my favorite.

5. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Count me as someone who has never been that impressed by Tarantino's debut feature. I like it, but I've never gotten much of a buzz from it, as if it was only running on 6 cylinders instead of 8. Frankly, if Tim Roth and Harvey Keitel weren't in it and elevating the entire production -- sorry, Steve -- I don't know if I'd have liked it at all.

His Four Rooms segment is pretty good, although I'd consider it fairly non-essential, especially given that you would presumably have to sit through the first two segments of the movie to get to it and Rodriguez's. I also really enjoyed both True Romance and From Dusk Till Dawn (which we need on Blu-Ray, stat).
Old 08-27-09, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I also hated Watchmen and Observe and Report. O&R is actually the worst movie I've seen all year.
i'm already fully aware we have different tastes.
Old 08-27-09, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For interested parties, Adam Carolla snagged Christoph Waltz for his podcast. It's around a 45 minute segment and after the gushing is over from Carolla, Waltz gets to really be open and candid about things. His take on why Death Proof is so great is spot on with my own opinion.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.