Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.45%
29.09%
28.18%
10.00%
0.91%
2.73%
0.91%
0%
0.91%
0.91%
0%
Not Interested.
0.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 12:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Movie:
"District 9" (2009) (Starring Sharlto Copley, Jason Cope, Sylvaine Strike)

Release Date:
8/14/2009

Rating:
R (for bloody violence and pervasive language)

Running Time:
112 min. (1h. 52m.)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:139 Rotten:19 (88% as of 8/17/09)
RT Link...

Info:
IMDb Link...

Trailer:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/nrEp_C117qbb2IN2SylDSA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/nrEp_C117qbb2IN2SylDSA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-17-09 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

We've been reviewing it in the main thread since Thursday night.
Old 08-15-09, 12:49 PM

i know, i know. i asked at least the poll to be merged with the existing. movieman asked to make this up so it could be included with the other summer movies. i wasn't going to bc the other wasn't that lengthy. i knew i would get flack.
Old 08-15-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i know, i know. i asked at least the poll to be merged with the existing. movieman asked to make this up so it could be included with the other summer movies. i wasn't going to bc the other wasn't that lengthy. i knew i would get flack.
Much appreciated Scott.
Old 08-15-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw D9 last night, really enjoyed it quite a bit. Gave it four stars, could have been four and a half but I thought the final battle went on a tad long and got tedious. You'd think that after seeing those alien weapons in use, those soldiers would fall back pretty quickly. Other than that, didn't seem to notice many of the other plot holes that people seem to allude to (but never specifically mention).

I liked that for once they didn't portray all the aliens as being the same, nor all the humans. Some have good intentions, some not so much. It made the overall dynamic seem much more developed. The interaction between Wikus and Christopher was just right, and it was nice to see CG effects used as a tool, not as the main premise of the movie.

Also at the comment in the other thread, "It's not overly violent or excessively gory". The last 30 minutes would rival the bloodiness of most horror movies.
Old 08-15-09, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

I disliked it and was completely bored. Several people walked out but I stuck with it. If it had been a rental I probably would have turned the dvd off after about the 30 min mark. I honestly haven't been so bored during a movie since the first hour and 45 minutes of Peter Jackson's King Kong. Not that the rest of it was any good either.
Old 08-15-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved it. Definetly the best film of the year so far. Once the film was over, the entire audience clapped. It's good to know that there are still some good sci fi action film coming out, and that were not complety limited to crap like Transformers and GI Joe. This should hold me over till AVATAR.

4 1/2 stars.
Old 08-15-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Loved it. Definetly the best film of the year so far. Once the film was over, the entire audience clapped. It's good to know that there are still some good sci fi action film coming out, and that were not complety limited to crap like Transformers and GI Joe. This should hold me over till AVATAR.

4 1/2 stars.
It wouldn't bother me one bit if this movie outperforms Avatar. I mean i'm interested in both but it would go to show that you can make a great movie for a hell of a lot less. Having a great story is much better than having expensive smoke and mirror effects.
Old 08-15-09, 06:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Then again, Cameron usually gives us great stories AND great visuals. I'm not trying to compare one to the other, because District 9 is absolutely brilliant, and Avatar may be as well.
Old 08-15-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mountain_dew
I disliked it and was completely bored. Several people walked out but I stuck with it. If it had been a rental I probably would have turned the dvd off after about the 30 min mark. I honestly haven't been so bored during a movie since the first hour and 45 minutes of Peter Jackson's King Kong. Not that the rest of it was any good either.
Yet you probably like shit like Transformers and GI Joe right?
Old 08-15-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bet you loved Transformers II. The worst movie of the year.
Old 08-16-09, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of person names themselves after a horrible drink?
Old 08-16-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it possible that District 9 may be nominated for Actor and Directing and Best Picture Oscars?
Old 08-16-09, 12:46 AM

Heck, since they bumped it to 10 best picture nods... sure!
Old 08-16-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Is it possible that District 9 may be nominated for Actor and Directing and Best Picture Oscars?
I highly doubt it, but I do think it will get a Visual Effects nomination. Then again, there was a huge uproar that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated last year and I feel that D9 is 10 times better than TDK.
Old 08-16-09, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Seriously, please, tell us what you thought was a good movie this year. I can not wait to hear your review. Not that I expect to receive an answer from such an obvious troll.

This movie was amazing, even if you think it was full of holes. The fact that it was made by an unknown director with unknown actors on only a $30m budget while shit like Transformers and Terminator Salvation cost four or five times as much clog up the screens should be worthy of some respect.

I really, genuinely, felt for Christopher and his son. Some of the best CGI that I have ever seen.
Old 08-16-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Hey! Mountain Dew is delicious.
Old 08-16-09, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

4 Stars

Saw it and I liked it. It was not perfect, but even when it left the "Documentary" phase of the film it was still a pretty decent Sci Fi/Action Adventure. I did notice an emotional Heaviness during the film and afterward as I walked to my car and I really didn't expect that.
Old 08-16-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Liked it even more the second time I saw it (first time I hadn't slept in 48 hours) and will probably go back today for a third time. Just fucking awesome. 4.5/5
Old 08-16-09, 11:09 AM
Cool New Member

Star Trek was a good movie this year.
Transformers and GI Joe were entertaining. Transformers could have done without the childish humor however.
District 9 was boring.

I always love how when someone doesn't like something that someone else does online they get attacked. It isn't a very good movie.
Old 08-16-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Trek was a good movie this year.
Transformers and GI Joe were entertaining. Transformers could have done without the childish humor however.
District 9 was boring.

I always love how when someone doesn't like something that someone else does online they get attacked. It isn't a very good movie.
How old are you? Phrases like "Star Trek was a good movie this year", and "District 9 was boring" make me think your going to start 5th grade this fall. Not that Stat Trek wasn't a good movie, but the way you said it just seemed scrambled. You could have said "Star Trek is one of the best movies I have seen this year", or "Star Trek is the best movie of 2009 so far", or "Star Trek is better then District 9, fuck everyone who liked it. You think just because you like good movies and I don't that you have better taste then me? GI Joe and Transformers 2 are fun, brainless movies that I like to enjoy after a long day of working my ass of trying to get an "A" in English class. Movies that make you think are the dumb ones!! Don't get me wrong sometimes I like a good movie that makes me think, Twilight is one of my favorite movies! Fuck you guy's, you elitist douchbags!!" All of that would have been more appropriate then "Star Trek was a good movie this year.
Old 08-16-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet you probably like shit like Transformers and GI Joe right?
Originally Posted by Mopower
Bet you loved Transformers II. The worst movie of the year.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Seriously, please, tell us what you thought was a good movie this year. I can not wait to hear your review. Not that I expect to receive an answer from such an obvious troll.

This movie was amazing, even if you think it was full of holes. The fact that it was made by an unknown director with unknown actors on only a $30m budget while shit like Transformers and Terminator Salvation cost four or five times as much clog up the screens should be worthy of some respect.

I really, genuinely, felt for Christopher and his son. Some of the best CGI that I have ever seen.

Where the fuck am I, IMDB? Christ.

He didn't like a movie that has everyone ejaculating.

Let's assume what kind of movies he does like and let's bash his screenname! And of course, he's gotta be a troll if he didn't like this movie!

Unbelievable.
Old 08-16-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How old are you? Phrases like "Star Trek was a good movie this year", and "District 9 was boring" make me think your going to start 5th grade this fall. Not that Stat Trek wasn't a good movie, but the way you said it just seemed scrambled. You could have said "Star Trek is one of the best movies I have seen this year", or "Star Trek is the best movie of 2009 so far", or "Star Trek is better then District 9, fuck everyone who liked it. You think just because you like good movies and I don't that you have better taste then me? GI Joe and Transformers 2 are fun, brainless movies that I like to enjoy after a long day of working my ass of trying to get an "A" in English class. Movies that make you think are the dumb ones!! Don't get me wrong sometimes I like a good movie that makes me think, Twilight is one of my favorite movies! Fuck you guy's, you elitist douchbags!!" All of that would have been more appropriate then "Star Trek was a good movie this year.
What an incredibly pointless rant. Are you finished or are you going to bless us with more?
Old 08-16-09, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Where the fuck am I, IMDB? Christ.

He didn't like a movie that has everyone ejaculating.

Let's assume what kind of movies he does like and let's bash his screenname! And of course, he's gotta be a troll if he didn't like this movie!

Unbelievable.
i know. it's not like no one else doesn't like a movie the majority seems to like...
Old 08-16-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
What an incredibly pointless rant. Are you finished or are you going to bless us with more?
Maybe. I'll come back if I think of anything else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.