Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.45%
29.09%
28.18%
10.00%
0.91%
2.73%
0.91%
0%
0.91%
0.91%
0%
Not Interested.
0.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Groucho
Two words: King Kong
King Kong was amazing.
Old 08-18-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

At this point. I really don't want to see Blomkamp do the Halo movie, I don't think his style fits and his little demo didn't wow me.

Now if he were to somehow steal away the rights to the Gears of War film from Len Wiseman... that would be fuckin' awesome!
Old 08-18-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I think Star Trek is only considered good because all the other old Star Trek movies suck ass big time and also because it was better than the Star Wars prequels. It's just a forgetable, generic action film in space. Abrams is an overall good director, but he's not great at filming action, unless you like quick-cut, blurry, action scenes...

And the storyline in Star Trek wasn't that sci-fi anyway. Just because space ships, laser guns, and time traveling is involved, it doesn't automatically make it good sci-fi. Eventhough Star Trek didn't have a good or interesting story, the great thing about that new Star Trek movie was the acting and the chemistry among all the actors.

District 9 is such a greater film...

I disagree with you about Abrams action scenes. MI: 3 had exciting action scenes, especially when the convoy got attacked. I also don't agree with the quick cuts. It's not like Michael Bay's where you can't tell what's going on. Abrams action scenes are well polished.

I liked Star Trek because it had an epic feel that many previous sci fi films didn't have.

I agree that District 9 was a better film. I'm hoping the director will be great but I'm still skeptical. I saw a couple of short films he made including the Halo one and he always shoots in documentary style. He has perfected the art but we'll see what he can do with a "regular" movie.

The special effects in the movie are great, documentary style or not. I like how the mech suit had weight to it.
Old 08-18-09, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I love Spielburg as much as the next person, but after what he did to Transformers, I would be dissapointed if he did end up gettting the Halo movie. He's lost his magic. He just has. It's sad, it sucks but it's the truth. I'm not a fan of the Halo video game (but then again, I hate video games) but after reading about it and playing the game a little bit, it does seem like a very interesting world that could make a great movie. But it could easily go bad and turn into a Transformers 2 and GI Joe type of movie. If Jackson and Blomkamp did Halo, it would have all the action, and a great story. If Spielburg and ********* did Halo it would turn into a movie relying on it's explosions.
I disagree that he's lost his magic. He just has to be engaged by the material. His recent "serious" movies are among his best work. He just doesn't care about popcorn movies anymore. I enjoyed Indy 4 (its better than most movies this summer). But I'll admit he phoned that one in.

Also, when he only produces a movie, he's just interested in generating cash for his studio. So, he gets a Michael Bay to crank out some shit that will put asses in the seats.

So, I still think he's got good movies in him. But Halo won't be one of them, whether he directs or produces.
Old 08-18-09, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I think Star Trek is only considered good because all the other old Star Trek movies suck ass big time and also because it was better than the Star Wars prequels. It's just a forgetable, generic action film in space. Abrams is an overall good director, but he's not great at filming action, unless you like quick-cut, blurry, action scenes...

And the storyline in Star Trek wasn't that sci-fi anyway. Just because space ships, laser guns, and time traveling is involved, it doesn't automatically make it good sci-fi. Eventhough Star Trek didn't have a good or interesting story, the great thing about that new Star Trek movie was the acting and the chemistry among all the actors.

District 9 is such a greater film...

On a different note, for directors that make awesome, expensive-looking epic films for little money (such as $30 million), have they ever made even bigger/better films with even more money for their next films? There's always that thing that everyone says "wow, he made a $30 million dollar movie look like a $100 million dollar movie, I wonder what he can do if he actually got $100 million dollars for his next film?" All I can think of is James Cameron and Peter Jackson who seem to make quality films if they get tons more money put into a film.

I like the old Star Trek movies (and the Star Wars prequels). I just think the new Star Trek was designed to be much more commercial than any of these (young hot cast, quick cutting, rock songs, and lots of lense flair).

Last edited by RD1973; 08-18-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Good for me to poop on!
I don't get the hate for King Kong. In my opinion, its only mistake is developing useless background characters like Billy the cabin boy or Jimmy the cook (I think those were their names). Otherwise, its absolutely spectacular.
Old 08-18-09, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I disagree with you about Abrams action scenes. MI: 3 had exciting action scenes, especially when the convoy got attacked. I also don't agree with the quick cuts. It's not like Michael Bay's where you can't tell what's going on. Abrams action scenes are well polished.

I liked Star Trek because it had an epic feel that many previous sci fi films didn't have.

I agree that District 9 was a better film. I'm hoping the director will be great but I'm still skeptical. I saw a couple of short films he made including the Halo one and he always shoots in documentary style. He has perfected the art but we'll see what he can do with a "regular" movie.

The special effects in the movie are great, documentary style or not. I like how the mech suit had weight to it.
The mech suit was sweet. It looked and moved exactly right. It just goes to show how far off TF2 was from what it should have been. I just saw a tiny picture of the new TF2 DVD cover. I think its Optimus Prime's head on the cover, but it looks like a rolled up ball of tin foil (perfectly appropriate).
Old 08-18-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I like how the mech suit had weight to it.
that's a good point I forgot to talk about. I rewatched Matrix Revolutions and realized how cartoony those mech suits were - they looked like real people not really connected to their CGI cartoon suits. Blomkamp did a great job with that mech suit because it seemed real. His one Mech suit was better than hundreds of them in Matrix Revolutions...
Old 08-18-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was really looking forward to this movie. I thought it was really good. Though I didnt care for the first half of this movie the second half was excellent. The Mech suit was awesome as were the alien weapons. Some very cool stuff. The visual were amazing considering the budget. they were pretty flawless. I wish He was able to direct the Halo movie, I think it would of been pretty amazing.
Old 08-19-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my review:

cinamerica.com: District 9
Old 08-20-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just caught it tonight. An amazing film that I'm so glad I had very little knowledge of before going into it. The cast was amazing for being relative unknowns and the utter seriousness of the whole affair keeps you hooked.

Old 11-15-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I finally watched this after borrowing from a friend. Maybe I had high expectations, but I didn't care for it. In fact, I almost turned it off half way through. The pacing was slow and the plot was not engaging. Easily could have trimmed 20+ minutes.

I do think the last 20-30 minutes helped, but for me it wasn't enough. I would have liked more of the alien family and Wiku's turn. He suddenly went from Craig about himself to helping the two of them. Why not show he was a family man to sympathize with them? Otherwise they were just some pair of "prawns". Maybe even play up he secret tests more.

That said, I do think some of the CGI was good and the acting was good as well.
Old 11-15-12, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wtf are you saying?
Old 11-15-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

District 9 was great!
Old 11-15-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
wtf are you saying?
He's saying it was underwhelming. And he's right.
Old 11-15-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no "right". I thought it was great, am I somehow wrong?
Old 11-15-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
There is no "right". I thought it was great, am I somehow wrong?
It's his opinion so it's right for him. I share his opinion so it's right for me as well.

You thought it was great so that's right for you.

And we are wrong for each other.
Old 11-15-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I share that opinion as well, it was professional but mostly boring before going straight up videogame.
Old 11-15-12, 01:39 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I like this film quite a bit. Saw it at the drive-in when it was first released and picked it up as one of our first blu-ray purchases.

I recently showed this to a group of teenagers I work with and I was floored that when I pointed out the film could be seen as an allegory for apartheid, only one of them knew what apartheid was - and he only learned about it because it was mentioned in a novel in his English class. Apartheid ended in South Africa just before they were born so I can see how it's a bigger deal to me since it happened when I was in middle school but I can't believe they're nearly finished with high school and the concept doesn't ring a bell.
Old 11-15-12, 03:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's a great film. It has a brilliant and fun concept that's matched very well with the techniques they used to tell the story. It adheres to the principle of "less is more" that almost no filmmakers pay attention to anymore. Minimal action that is always in service of the story. A little political subtext without being heavy handed. Less than two hours; you're in, you're out, and you're left with a little something to think about.

2 great scenes and no bad scenes...Howard Hawks would say it's a great film.
Old 11-15-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plot was a little thin, but other than that it was an okay film. I didn't love it like some other people seem to.
Old 11-15-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen it in the theater and wasn't impressed. Not to say I disliked it but it certainly didn't deserve the hype and accolades it received.
Old 11-15-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

District 9 is only memorable by people that like sci-fi movies. Other than that, nobody gives a damn about it.
Old 11-15-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I like this film quite a bit. Saw it at the drive-in when it was first released and picked it up as one of our first blu-ray purchases.

I recently showed this to a group of teenagers I work with and I was floored that when I pointed out the film could be seen as an allegory for apartheid, only one of them knew what apartheid was - and he only learned about it because it was mentioned in a novel in his English class. Apartheid ended in South Africa just before they were born so I can see how it's a bigger deal to me since it happened when I was in middle school but I can't believe they're nearly finished with high school and the concept doesn't ring a bell.
You seem to be under the impression that public school is anything other than a babysitting service.

I was never taught about apartheid in school. I learned about it on my own.
Old 11-15-12, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I think I learned about the apartheid in a movie actually. Probably was a Junior in HS, which would make it 2002-2003. You're bound to learn one thing and not know another when it comes to school. Hell...try telling people that the Civil War wasn't all about slavery. That'll go over well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.