Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.45%
29.09%
28.18%
10.00%
0.91%
2.73%
0.91%
0%
0.91%
0.91%
0%
Not Interested.
0.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 06:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Spoiler:
true, that's probably the only disappointment I had with the film...especially, after we got such an awesome creative demise for the gang leader dude...I was expecting an awesome death for that military asshole dude. Maybe there is a close-up shot of his head getting ripped off, maybe on the DVD? But the whole film was so violent and gorey, it's wierd that some scene got cut or changed around at the end...I was also hoping that the meca-machine was going to just step on that military dude and squash him like a bug...

Spoiler:
the demise of the gang leader had me howling in pleasure, it was like that scene from that Jodi Foster film where she guns down the two shits in the subway car
Old 08-17-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973

8. I love it when 2 "nobodies" (Blomkamp and Copley) pop up out of nowhere and show the "pros" (Abrams, Bay, Sommers, McG, etc.) how its done. Those other guys look like clowns right about now.
I don't know why you'd put Abrams on the list of "pros". Star Trek and MI: 3 were pretty awesome and well thought out with cool action scenes.
Old 08-17-09, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I don't know why you'd put Abrams on the list of "pros". Star Trek and MI: 3 were pretty awesome and well thought out with cool action scenes.
Those two movies are ok. District 9 was awesome.

I can just see those execs. that shot down Halo kicking themselves right now.
Old 08-17-09, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually hope D9's success gets the Halo film going now. With Blomkamp returning to his once positioned director's seat along with PJ producing.
Old 08-17-09, 09:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

according to EW the reason for Halo not being shot by Blomkamp was between Fox and Universal not Blomkamp's inability or no name status as a director.
Old 08-17-09, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I actually hope D9's success gets the Halo film going now. With Blomkamp returning to his once positioned director's seat along with PJ producing.
I read that Blomkamp is no longer interested in Halo. Anyway, Spielberg is developing a Halo movie now. As much as I love Spielberg, his heart is just not into this sort of thing anymore. The old Spielberg would never have let his name be attached to TF 2. So, I'm dreading Halo now. We'll never know what Blomkamp would have done with it.

Last edited by RD1973; 08-17-09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 09:11 PM
Banned

No longer interested, damn. When did Spielberg start developing a Halo film? That's news to me.
Old 08-17-09, 09:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Blomkamp worked on Halo for several months and apparently it was such a bad experience he has no interest in returning to the project.
Old 08-17-09, 09:23 PM

No longer interested, damn. When did Spielberg start developing a Halo film? That's news to me.
I read about it on several sites. I believe Spielberg lost TF3 to Paramount and needed a new franchise and then came across Halo. His movie will be based on The Fall Of Reach.
Old 08-17-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I read that Blomkamp is no longer interested in Halo. Anyway, Spielberg is developing a Halo movie now. As much as I love Spielberg, his heart is just not into this sort of thing anymore. The old Spielberg would never have let his name be attached to TF 2. So, I'm dreading Halo now. We'll never know what Blomkamp would have done with it.
I was at the Comic-Con panel for "District 9" and while the whole "Halo" fiasco left a bad taste in his mouth, he sorta hints he might be interested in the future. The YouTube video cuts off at the very end, unfortunately. Go to time 6:19 for the question about "Halo" getting rebooted:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSQ268HLc0o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSQ268HLc0o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-18-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I don't have an answer for that one, what concerned me was the fact that in 20 years
Spoiler:
how did the spaceship stay aloft? Was there enough "super" fuel to let it hang out but not fly back to the prawns homeland? Who was piloting it - as if it mattered? Why was the controller dumped off in the first place? And I could go on and on about the basics - 20 years is a long time not to figure out anything about the aliens except for guinea pig style for the sole purpose of weaponization.
Spoiler:
I will take a stab at addressing the questions, though I don't propose these are answers...just my theories...

As to why the ship stays aloft...perhaps what powers the anti gravity/gravity controls on the ship is of different technology than what propels the ship or gets it to break free of Earth's atmosphere. A ship that size may have different power sources for different functions of the ship. In fact, I would imagine it would have to. Perhaps the gravity systems is much more simple and easier to power so it would be a needless thing to waste the precious fuel they have on that system.

As to why the other governments of the world didn't take a vested interest in the ship...I thought that was what MNU (or whatever they were called) represented...they were a conglomeration of the superpowers of Earth. Nobody was getting an exclusive crack at this. It would kind of back up what Regan said in the 80s that if there was a presence of an invader from space, the governments of the world would work together.

Just my theories on it. Maybe more answers will come in the sequel.
Old 08-18-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw District 9 and I give it 5/5 stars. Awesome movie! I'm a little late to the party, so pretty much everything about the movie has been discussed already.

So, I will just post some observations:

1. I can't believe it only cost $30 million. There wasn't one fake or cheesy moment (how the hell could G.I.Joe have cost $175 million?!). Since D9 has already made its money back, I guess a sequel is guaranteed!

2. To me, it seemed obvious from the beginning that the documentary style was only meant as an intro. and a clever way of presenting exposition. So the movie changing styles back and forth didn't bother me at all.

3. This movie really had me on the edge of my seat (seriously). From the beginning, it was established that we were in a cruel world where anything could happen to anyone. So I was really afraid the whole time for Christopher and his son. That leader of the MNU troops was not fucking around.

4. I've noticed that some people have a problem with the movie not having any "good guys." These must be the same people that love bullshit romantic comedies. Good guys and bad guys is purely Hollywood bullshit. We are all varying degrees of good and bad, depending on the situation. Some people want to do the right thing, some don't. But self-preservation comes first. And, as far as governments and corporations, they are not so much evil as amoral.

5. As far as plot holes, I don't really think there are any big ones. For there to be a plot hole, something has to be clearly explained, and later contradicted. In this movie, we're just thrown into the middle of things and we have to play catch-up. Many things are left unexplained or ambiguous. I did notice that certain passwords were never changed and keys were left in a certain vehicle. But I accepted this long ago as standard in the "movie world."

6. I don't know about others, but I felt an intimate, visceral connection to Wikus, Christopher and his son (warts and all). And that, I was not expecting. I can't imagine doing anything differently if I had been in their situation.

7. As emotional as the movie was, it was also the best action movie I've seen in a while. When Wikus climbed in the Mecha suit and started using all its different weapons, I almost shed a tear. It was so fucking cool.

8. I love it when 2 "nobodies" (Blomkamp and Copley) pop up out of nowhere and show the "pros" (Abrams, Bay, Sommers, McG, etc.) how its done. Those other guys look like clowns right about now.

I guess that's about it. All I can say is that there is finally a movie from 2009 that I will be buying on DVD (or hopefully, Blu-ray). All summer I've been walking out of theaters with my head held down in shame. Today, I wanted to go skipping out of the theater.
I agree with nearly all of what you say. Except the jab at Abrams. Star Trek was a kick ass movie. With Star Trek, Moon, and District 9, this has to be the best summer for science fiction since I stepped into theaters as a wee lad and saw Star Wars for the first time all those years ago.
Old 08-18-09, 12:20 AM
Banned

I read about it on several sites. I believe Spielberg lost TF3 to Paramount and needed a new franchise and then came across Halo. His movie will be based on The Fall Of Reach.
Lost TF3 to Paramount? How? I'm rather amazed Spielberg could be kicked off of something he brought up...what sites? are they reliable?

Wikipedia has this
:
While there have been rumors that director Steven Spielberg was in talks to produce Halo,[113] Microsoft has responded that the film is still on hold.
Old 08-18-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those two movies are ok. District 9 was awesome.

I can just see those execs. that shot down Halo kicking themselves right now.
But to put Abrams in the same league as Bay, Sommers and McG is an insult to JJ....
Old 08-18-09, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was at the Comic-Con panel for "District 9" and while the whole "Halo" fiasco left a bad taste in his mouth, he sorta hints he might be interested in the future. The YouTube video cuts off at the very end, unfortunately. Go to time 6:19 for the question about "Halo" getting rebooted:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSQ268HLc0o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSQ268HLc0o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Well, Spielberg is definitely working on a version of Halo (which will probably be PG-13, so I doubt he'd do it with Blomkamp) and I doubt that we would get 2 competing Halo movies. I think the opportunity for a Blomkamp-directed Halo has sadly passed.
Old 08-18-09, 02:14 AM

Lost TF3 to Paramount? How? I'm rather amazed Spielberg could be kicked off of something he brought up...what sites? are they reliable?

Wikipedia has this
This has been on Yahoo movies, Ain't it Cool News, Darkhorizons, etc. When Dreamworks left Paramount, they lost alot of projects, including TF3. Which is why Spielberg has latched onto Halo.
Old 08-18-09, 02:19 AM

But to put Abrams in the same league as Bay, Sommers and McG is an insult to JJ....
OK how's this, to me J.J. has only been ok so far, but he has potential. The others are hacks. I enjoyed Terminator Salvation, G.I. Joe and Star Trek. TF 2 was pure shit for 2 1/2 fucking hours. But D9 blows all of those away. I wanted to see D10 as soon as it was over! I haven't walked out of a theater feeling giddy in a long time.
Old 08-18-09, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK how's this, to me J.J. has only been ok so far, but he has potential. The others are hacks. I enjoyed Terminator Salvation, G.I. Joe and Star Trek. TF 2 was pure shit for 2 1/2 fucking hours. But D9 blows all of those away. I wanted to see D10 as soon as it was over! I haven't walked out of a theater feeling giddy in a long time.
Fair enough :-)
Old 08-18-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Star Trek is only considered good because all the other old Star Trek movies suck ass big time and also because it was better than the Star Wars prequels. It's just a forgetable, generic action film in space. Abrams is an overall good director, but he's not great at filming action, unless you like quick-cut, blurry, action scenes...

And the storyline in Star Trek wasn't that sci-fi anyway. Just because space ships, laser guns, and time traveling is involved, it doesn't automatically make it good sci-fi. Eventhough Star Trek didn't have a good or interesting story, the great thing about that new Star Trek movie was the acting and the chemistry among all the actors.

District 9 is such a greater film...

On a different note, for directors that make awesome, expensive-looking epic films for little money (such as $30 million), have they ever made even bigger/better films with even more money for their next films? There's always that thing that everyone says "wow, he made a $30 million dollar movie look like a $100 million dollar movie, I wonder what he can do if he actually got $100 million dollars for his next film?" All I can think of is James Cameron and Peter Jackson who seem to make quality films if they get tons more money put into a film.

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-18-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 11:45 AM
Banned

Jame Cameron for sure. PJ I'd agree with as well.
Old 08-18-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Spielburg as much as the next person, but after what he did to Transformers, I would be dissapointed if he did end up gettting the Halo movie. He's lost his magic. He just has. It's sad, it sucks but it's the truth. I'm not a fan of the Halo video game (but then again, I hate video games) but after reading about it and playing the game a little bit, it does seem like a very interesting world that could make a great movie. But it could easily go bad and turn into a Transformers 2 and GI Joe type of movie. If Jackson and Blomkamp did Halo, it would have all the action, and a great story. If Spielburg and ********* did Halo it would turn into a movie relying on it's explosions.
Old 08-18-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jame Cameron for sure. PJ I'd agree with as well.
Don't forget Christopher Nolan. Look what he did with "The Dark Knight" and "Inception" is looking good also.
Old 08-18-09, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
All I can think of is James Cameron and Peter Jackson who seem to make quality films if they get tons more money put into a film.
Two words: King Kong
Old 08-18-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Peter jackson's king kong was good though! Better than all those other versions, including the holy classic one. It's a giant monkey movie anyway.
Old 08-18-09, 12:14 PM

Good for me to poop on!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.