Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Old 07-07-09, 08:02 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
JackBurton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

I see these threads come up from time to time and dvdtalkers seem to be good at helping out. These are few movie memories from my childhood that have been nagging me:

1) It is likely from the mid 80's to early 90's. The little I can remember involved a group of kids who team up with an adult. One of the kids has a remote control helicopter. They may (or may not) have attached a camera to it. It had a Monster Squad like vibe. Not that it had monsters in it, but in that kids were teaming up with an adult against someone (something). The main thing I recall is a part where they use a remote control helicopter. I think the helicopter is destroyed shortly after - either by the "bad guys" or by crashing into something.

I posted this on retroland and was given the 1993 film Remote as a possible answer. I do not think that is it.

2) This one involved a talking snowman and a kid who wants to buy some ice skates. The film is live action and it is set in a town (perhaps in Canada) during the winter. I believe the snowman's nose or eyes glowed red. As in most snowman tales, he melts at the end.

3) A kid runs away to live in the woods. He builds a shelter and befriends animals as pets. From time to time, he sneaks back into town and visits the library. I saw this one at school in 5th grade.

4) A family finds that their house is haunted. They hear noises in other rooms, etc. At one point they find their pet bird dead in its cage. A member of the family may have had cancer.

Sorry I don't have many clues to go off of. I saw all of these in the 80's or early 90's. Thanks!
Old 07-07-09, 08:23 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
I see these threads come up from time to time and dvdtalkers seem to be good at helping out. These are few movie memories from my childhood that have been nagging me:

1) It is likely from the mid 80's to early 90's. The little I can remember involved a group of kids who team up with an adult. One of the kids has a remote control helicopter. They may (or may not) have attached a camera to it. It had a Monster Squad like vibe. Not that it had monsters in it, but in that kids were teaming up with an adult against someone (something). The main thing I recall is a part where they use a remote control helicopter. I think the helicopter is destroyed shortly after - either by the "bad guys" or by crashing into something.

Sorry I don't have many clues to go off of. I saw all of these in the 80's or early 90's. Thanks!

Is this movie about kids trying to rescue a dog or something from a pound? If so, Ive been trying to remember that film as well. Its a black kid who has the remote control helicopter and when it crashes he says something like "That took me 350 corn flakes box tops to get....and I hate corn flakes"

Is that the one? I want to say its similar in name to "The B.R.A.T. Patrol". Maybe like "The Goon Squad" or something like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I found it... "Little Spies".

Synopsis
Originally telecast as a two-hour episode of ABC's Wonderful World of Disney anthology, Little Spies gets under way when a bunch of kids lose their adopted dog to the mean owner of a puppy kennel. Enter Jimmy the Hermit (Mickey Rooney), a reclusive WW2 hero who takes a shine to the youngsters. Harking back to his wartime experiences, Jimmy organizes the neighborhood kids into a "commando raid" of the kennel to rescue the pooch. The main characters are direct from the standard Disney stereotype manual, right down to the nerdish kid with glasses and the funny fat one. Little Spies first aired on October 5, 1986. - Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Last edited by enderwiggin; 07-07-09 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 09:20 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 630
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
3) A kid runs away to live in the woods. He builds a shelter and befriends animals as pets. From time to time, he sneaks back into town and visits the library. I saw this one at school in 5th grade
This one sounds like My Side of the Mountain.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (08-05-21)
Old 07-07-09, 09:29 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,318
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

I remember one from the 80's.. a group time travels...one scene they end up on the Titanic as it's going down. I thought I remember there were some "little people" in the cast as well. Was this "My Science Project"?
Old 07-07-09, 09:41 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
JackBurton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

THANKS!!! Amazing work enderwiggin & BlueCC, correct on both counts. Enderwiggin I can't tell you how long I've been trying to find out the name of that one - years. Makes sense that it was a disney movie, I wonder if its available on any format?

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I remember one from the 80's.. a group time travels...one scene they end up on the Titanic as it's going down. I thought I remember there were some "little people" in the cast as well. Was this "My Science Project"?
Not sure what this one is, but I am sure that it is not My Science Project. I actually just watched MSP this weekend, and that scene does not sound familiar.
Old 07-07-09, 09:55 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,500
Received 69 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
3) A kid runs away to live in the woods. He builds a shelter and befriends animals as pets. From time to time, he sneaks back into town and visits the library. I saw this one at school in 5th grade.
This might be Kid Colter.
Old 07-07-09, 11:18 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I remember one from the 80's.. a group time travels...one scene they end up on the Titanic as it's going down. I thought I remember there were some "little people" in the cast as well. Was this "My Science Project"?
This is Time Bandits.
Old 07-07-09, 05:27 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Number 4 could be Poltergeist, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't know that.
Old 07-07-09, 06:14 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

4 sounds similar to Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive.
Old 07-07-09, 07:10 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,493
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
This is Time Bandits.
And a freaking awesome movie!
Old 07-07-09, 08:01 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,368
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
This is Time Bandits.
Incorrect. This is Sparta. Please correct your post.
Old 07-07-09, 08:03 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
JackBurton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by J. Farley View Post
4 sounds similar to Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive.
That's it! Thanks, J. Farley! When I read the "toilets flushing by themselves" in the imdb description, I knew it was the one.

If someone could help me out with #2, my day would be made. My Side of the Mountain looks like its out on DVD and Grave Secrets is on VHS. Not sure where I could find Little Spies though?

Thanks a lot to all who have contributed!

Last edited by JackBurton; 07-08-09 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 07:34 AM
  #13  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,160
Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
Incorrect. This is Sparta. Please correct your post.
Old 07-08-09, 07:38 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

The Magic Snowman: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093473/

...with Roger Moore as the voice of the snowman!
Old 07-08-09, 08:38 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
JackBurton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
The Magic Snowman: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093473/

...with Roger Moore as the voice of the snowman!
Wow, thanks!

Do you guys know this stuff off the top of your head or did you research? I swear, I've spent a long time trying to track down all of these on my own with no success. Thanks again to everyone.
Old 07-08-09, 01:48 PM
  #16  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to piggy back on this one if nobody minds - this has bugged me for years and it may be a TV movie. It was a large cast movie - maybe even a race movie - and one buy one the heroes in the movie get picked off by the bad guys but they all happen to reappear at the end of the movie with an explnation about what happened to them - I remember one character got caught on top of a hot air balloon and I believe 2 cowboy characters got cement poured on them - they later explained that they were able to replace themselves with saw horse work benches (what!?) before the cement got poured on them - this is all very foggy and pretty lame but it has been bugging me for years!
Old 07-09-09, 05:41 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,198
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to piggy back on this one if nobody minds - this has bugged me for years and it may be a TV movie. It was a large cast movie - maybe even a race movie - and one buy one the heroes in the movie get picked off by the bad guys but they all happen to reappear at the end of the movie with an explnation about what happened to them - I remember one character got caught on top of a hot air balloon and I believe 2 cowboy characters got cement poured on them - they later explained that they were able to replace themselves with saw horse work benches (what!?) before the cement got poured on them - this is all very foggy and pretty lame but it has been bugging me for years!
It's Murder Can Hurt You, a TV movie from around 1979-80 that parodied famous TV detectives. The hot air balloon guy was John Byner as Hatch from "Studsky & Hatch" and the cement guy was "McSky", the parody of McCloud. It also starred Victor Buono, Jimmie Walker, Tony Danza, and Jamie Farr. Hilarious when I was a kid.
Old 07-09-09, 05:53 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,334
Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Just thought I'd post a general hint about finding movies. Use IMDB's keywords. I was trying to remember a movie for the longest time, I remembered something a horror film with hypnotism and knew it was from the 80's, so I searched for keyword hypnotism, then chose horror for genre, then sorted by release and looked at the 80's movies. In case anyone's curious, the movie was Angustia.
Old 07-09-09, 07:12 AM
  #19  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

I feel like a cloud has been lifted ! thank you !
Old 08-04-21, 07:30 PM
  #20  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Hi Jack,

I had to sign up to this forum specifically to reply to your question. Did you ever find the answer to number 1? i have looked at both B.R.A.T Patrol and Little Spies as suggested, but whilst they ring a bell, i couldn't spot either of them having the remote control helicopter, and i am sure it played a main part in the film. i seem to remember the kids talking to the camera as well, as if they were testing the cameras. This film has been bugging me for years!
Old 08-04-21, 09:50 PM
  #21  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

update, i found the film i was after, and i am pretty sure it is the same one you were looking for,

Zits, aka Spy Trap (1988).

"A group of middle school students start selling fake military plans to the KGB to pay for their music teacher's eye operation."

full film is at youtube
/watch?v=AciL0IoTQVM (i can't post URL's yet)
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (08-05-21)
Old 08-04-21, 10:28 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,064
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Please help me ID a few obscure movies from my childhood

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
It's Murder Can Hurt You, a TV movie from around 1979-80 that parodied famous TV detectives. The hot air balloon guy was John Byner as Hatch from "Studsky & Hatch" and the cement guy was "McSky", the parody of McCloud. It also starred Victor Buono, Jimmie Walker, Tony Danza, and Jamie Farr. Hilarious when I was a kid.
Wow – this is one that had completely erased itself from my head until it was brought up here, and then it wasn't. And the whole thing's on YouTube. Handy thread!

​​​​
Originally Posted by joltman View Post
Just thought I'd post a general hint about finding movies. Use IMDB's keywords. I was trying to remember a movie for the longest time, I remembered something a horror film with hypnotism and knew it was from the 80's, so I searched for keyword hypnotism, then chose horror for genre, then sorted by release and looked at the 80's movies. In case anyone's curious, the movie was Angustia.
I'll second this, though it was a bit tricky in the past on occasion. For years – decades! – I was trying to remember a movie I saw on TV as a kid, in the late 70's or early 80's, but all I could remember was a speedboat chase at the end set to a peppy earworm disco score that never left my brain, that the chase ended with one of the boats crashing through a truck being lowered between two big ships, and that the movie possibly aired on the one of the World of Disney-style shows of the era. But even the IMDb keyword search couldn't help for ages because the film's listing must not have included the words 'boat chase' or 'speedboat chase' or whatever. A more recent search a few months ago finally caught THE LONDON CONNECTION in the results. It debuted on TV in the states, but was one of those Walt Disney productions (with a rare story credit for Martha Coolidge, among others) that played theatrically in Europe and elsewhere. And, thankfully, someone had uploaded it to YouTube just weeks before I found the title.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.