Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Couples Retreat (Billingsley, 2009): Vince Vaughn and John Favreau ensemble comedy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Couples Retreat (Billingsley, 2009): Vince Vaughn and John Favreau ensemble comedy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Couples Retreat (Billingsley, 2009): Vince Vaughn and John Favreau ensemble comed

^Probably because of the performance of Bruno and Funny People.
Old 09-09-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Couples Retreat (Billingsley, 2009): Vince Vaughn and John Favreau ensemble comed

The film, with the exception of a specific scene involving Favreau, is pretty clean.

PG-13 or R, no MPAA rating doesn't stop the film from being a raging pile of shit.
Old 09-10-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The film, with the exception of a specific scene involving Favreau, is pretty clean.

PG-13 or R, no MPAA rating doesn't stop the film from being a raging pile of shit.
Did you see a screening? If it's on par with The Break-Up my assumption is that Bateman is the only good thing, maybe Favreau this time around from the trailers. Too bad, I love both of them.
Old 09-10-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Care to elaborate?
Old 09-10-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it looks pretty good so as long as it gets a passable review from some people who see it, it will be a good one to take the wife to.

Is there a release date?

Last edited by JimRochester; 09-10-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I saw it about three-to-four weeks ago (whenever I posted that comment about me going to a test screening). Billingsley was in attendance and I almost had the urge to give him the middle finger on the way out.

As per the opening credits, Favreau and Vaughn share credits on writing the screenplay; but the glory days of Swingers and Made are long gone.

The best way I can sum it up:

- Vince Vaughn phones his performance in as he's basically playing Vince Vaughn.

- Jason Bateman and Favreau are the only two people in the entire picture who actually got me to laugh (briefly); even if Favreau plays a despicable asshole throughout the picture.

- The women are all one-note characters. I've never seen a film where each female tries to outdo the other on who can be the bigger bitch. Malin Akerman, who is given not a single thing to do, is the only somewhat likable female character this film has.

- Faizon Love feels out of place; almost as if his character is there to show that white people have black friends.

- There's a five-minute long scene devoted to product placement for Guitar Hero 5. I thought I was watching the Fred Savage masterpiece The Wizard.

- The ending is predictable and downright horseshit.

- Aren't romantic comedies supposed to be romantic and/or funny? Because this film has neither one going for it.

All of the people I went to see this with hated it and I never saw the girl I was dating again after this. I would like to say Couples Retreat ruined my relationship. That's how awful it is.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 09-10-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ But other than that it was pretty good?
Old 09-10-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
^ But other than that it was pretty good?
Pretty good if you like your films with little resemblance of character and story development.

chris_sc77 won't like it, because the film doesn't run longer than an hour and a half (no end credits due to it being a test screening).
Old 09-10-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Yeah, I saw it about three-to-four weeks ago (whenever I posted that comment about me going to a test screening). Billingsley was in attendance and I almost had the urge to give him the middle finger on the way out.

As per the opening credits, Favreau and Vaughn share credits on writing the screenplay; but the glory days of Swingers and Made are long gone.

- Vince Vaughn phones his performance in as he's basically playing Vince Vaughn.

- Jason Bateman and Favreau are the only two people in the entire picture who actually got me to laugh (briefly); even if Favreau plays a despicable asshole throughout the picture.

- The women are all one-note characters. I've never seen a film where each female tries to outdo the other on who can be the bigger bitch. Malin Akerman, who is given not a single thing to do, is the only somewhat likable female character this film has.

- Faizon Love feels out of place; almost as if his character is there to show that white people have black friends.

- There's a five-minute long scene devoted to product placement for Guitar Hero 5. I thought I was watching the Fred Savage masterpiece The Wizard.

- Aren't romantic comedies supposed to be romantic and/or funny? Because this film has neither one going for it.

All of the people I went to see this with hated it and I never saw the girl I was dating again after this. I would like to say Couples Retreat ruined my relationship. That's how awful it is.
I hope they do some editing, this sounds bad. Unrelated note. Did the girl give you a break-up talk after this, or was it one of those "silent treatment" deals where they just quit returning phone calls?
Old 09-10-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I hope they do some editing, this sounds bad. Unrelated note. Did the girl give you a break-up talk after this, or was it one of those "silent treatment" deals where they just quit returning phone calls?
The cut we saw couldn't be much longer than 90-95 minutes. There's no going back because all the problems lay within the film's weak script and Peter Billingsley's lack of direction.

Regarding the girl, I was dating her for a few weeks up to this point, and she shot me the rejection over an e-mail. If I was dating her for months, I'd be upset and frustrated; but nearly a month, I found the situation to be quite hilarious.
Old 09-11-09, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good if you like your films with little resemblance of character and story development.
Perfect, I'm in!

Actually with that cast I would have had higher hopes. But if Sandra Bullock can totally screw the pooch with Steve then this group can retread a stinker like this. This time of year is bad for movies, most of them are junk. I'm looking for something good to take the wife to.
Old 09-11-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026
For me, Vaughn is a potential deal-breaker. I used to find him funny, but now he's barely tolerable.
I dunno about deal breaker, but his star has definitely lost some luster and mostly because of this:

Which seems to be the case in every movie he does.
Old 09-11-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Probably because of the performance of Bruno and Funny People.
But Bruno had too many painfully unfunny parts and Funny People was way too long. Nothing to do with the R ratings.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-11-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-11-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
But Bruno had too many painfully unfunny parts and Funny People was way too long. Nothing to do with the R ratings.
I'll agree with the masses that Bruno was a disappointment compared to the hilarity that was Borat; I also think Funny People was a box office disappointment as most people were expecting a comedy and instead got a drama.
Old 09-11-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Typically what type of comedies do you like? I am curious to see if our tastes are the similar. Generally comedies I think will be good usually are but I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off on Land of the Lost.

I think this one looks good and will check it out.
Old 10-07-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Well, it's about to open.

I have to say, this doesn't look that great to me. What's more disappointing is the fact that this isn't something cobbled together by studio hacks, this was written by the men who brought us Swingers and Made for Pete's sake! Also, the cast is almost a who's who of actors/actresses with good comedic timing. If the movie only had two of the cast in it and produced no laughs, that would be one thing, but to have this much talent involved and not getting any funny stuff is a tragedy.
Old 10-07-09, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The three girls in their undies make this a must see...on Blu-ray for me.
Old 10-07-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How sad...
Old 10-07-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

10% rating on RT so far, albeit with only 10 reviews posted.
Old 10-07-09, 06:52 PM

Nvm

Last edited by doubledown44; 10-07-09 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I saw it a couple of months back. They went back for a lot of reshoots after my test screening of it according to Favreau's twitter. But I thought the movie was pretty much a generic cookie cutter film made to appeal to the average joe. I didn't like it and it was beyond formulaic and indeed, the characters weren't fleshed out at all.

I laughed maybe.. once or twice.

That was seriously the worse thing of the film. Let's break out to a Guitar Hero duel that could have been cut out completely and the plot (lack of) wouldn't have suffered.
Old 10-07-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I've never found him tolerable.
I thought he was good in the underrated Clay Pigeons, and he certainly lit up the screen in Swingers. Trouble is, he's been playing the same role ever since, with increasingly diminishing returns.
Old 10-08-09, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I told you all the film sucked.

The film is now down to 08% on the tomatometer with an astounding 12 reviews. Can't wait to see how low it goes down to when a majority of the reviews come online tomorrow night.
Old 10-08-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not looking good. I'm not surprised given the time of year but with the star power I was assuming it would be better than that. My daughter is home from college this weekend so we may go on Monday to check it out because we can get in for free.
Old 10-08-09, 12:45 PM

Matthew Chmiel's assessment is pretty much spot on.

Just a bunch of people who wanted to take a vacation and get paid for it at the same time. (Only the magic that existed with Swingers forgot its boarding pass.)

Pretty much devoid of humor and has some of the worst product placement I've seen in a movie. (What is it about The Frat Pack and Applebee's? First Talladega Nights and now Couples Retreat.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.