Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Old 07-12-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
I took it as he does know, that's why he plays SuperFreak. He just doesn't want to relay that information directly, since ya, she could just kill him instantly (since she's sitting right beside him) if Sam knew what she was (and try to kill Sam she does when exposed).

So, he goes the cheating route, and tries to use that method to keep her away from Sam.
That's how I took it as well. I related as much earlier in this thread. However, it leaves the question as to why Bumblebee made no further attempts to clue Sam in once she was gone.
Old 07-12-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Jesus titty fucking christ. I knew this fucker would make money..but holy fuck! Look I liked the film, YES I know it's a shitty one at that, I think we can all agree on it's quality, but I was entertained for what it gave me. But..is this the shittiest film ever to make the most at the boxoffice!?!?

Box Office Mojo: Worldwide: $672,302,317
Fuck. It might. Actually, it might get close, but it won't beat out The Dark Knight.
Old 07-12-09, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's how I took it as well. I related as much earlier in this thread. However, it leaves the question as to why Bumblebee made no further attempts to clue Sam in once she was gone.
That's a reasonable question. My assumption was that since she had yet to try and kill, maim, or harm him in any way, he wanted to try and figure out what she was up to (Off screen apparently).

And telling Sam would likely cause him to freak out in her presence and blow her cover, causing more potential harm. But, she acted first and revealed herself faster than he assumed.
Old 07-12-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, Blu Man. It's still going strong. We may very well see it pass TDK.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-12-09 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
That's a reasonable question. My assumption was that since she had yet to try and kill, maim, or harm him in any way, he wanted to try and figure out what she was up to (Off screen apparently).

And telling Sam would likely cause him to freak out in her presence and blow her cover, causing more potential harm. But, she acted first and revealed herself faster than he assumed.
Fair enough. But wouldn't letting Sam know keep him the hell away from her? Or, if he was being too much of a dick to let Bumblebee let him know about the Pretender, couldn't Bumblebee simply track her down and kill her while Sam was chatting it up with Optimus Prime?
Old 07-12-09, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about wtf is still up with Bumblebee's voice? It's still fucked up? Was fine at the end of the last one.
Old 07-12-09, 10:44 PM

Fair enough. But wouldn't letting Sam know keep him the hell away from her? Or, if he was being too much of a dick to let Bumblebee let him know about the Pretender, couldn't Bumblebee simply track her down and kill her while Sam was chatting it up with Optimus Prime?
It would certainly keep Sam from coming near her. But, it wouldn't stop her from running into him (and being a machine I'm sure she could conveniently track him on campus) and then we are back in problem town.

I think he certainly could kill her. However, I still think he was too intrigued by her not trying to harm him outright (the only decepticon to do so, at that point of the movie) that it was more important to find out what she was after. Partially in light of some of Wheelies actions and the other helpful decepticon in the later portions of the picture.

However, he turned out to be wrong and she soon tried to kill him.
Old 07-12-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

How about wtf is still up with Bumblebee's voice? It's still fucked up? Was fine at the end of the last one.
I was scratching my head as to why they decided to revisit this over again for the second movie.
Old 07-12-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think we've reached a point, thecrackedjack2, where we're just making up theories to explain shit the movie never bothered to explain for itself. Kinda like the mistery of the disappearing/reappearing Autobots.

After Bumblebee drops Sam in college, he disappears until a last minute rescue (complete with a passenger blooper). If Bumblebee was so concerned, he'd be keeping a closer eye on Sam and would have barged in the second the Pretender tried to pull something.

Then there's the forest battle. We see Prime and Bumblebee (and I think the Twins but I can't remember). Their being chaced by Megatron, Starscream, and not-Blackout. Prime's support vanishes, he gets killed, and the Autobots magically reappeared. Also perplexingly, the trio managed to kill Prime, the toughest Autobot, yet they couldn't handle the lesser ones. Of course, Megatron and Starscream stopped being badasses between movies.

As for Bumblebee's voice, Maxflier, I think they figured it was so effective in the first movie that they'd revisit it in the second. They even try to justify it early on by having Sam say that Bumblebee was playing it up. If that's the case, why didn't he drop the act later on?
Old 07-12-09, 11:26 PM

I think so too. The disappearing autobots seem to go along with the old police showing up at the very end of a movie, after the main character has gone it alone.

I also have no explanation whatsoever for the voice. I can only think it must have been that the voice actor may have been unavailable, they couldn't find a suitable replacement or they just said, "screw it Bumblebee talking through radio is much cooler!"
Old 07-12-09, 11:29 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure that was the reason...him talking through the radio just seem cooler. It was fine for 1, but...not for this.
Old 07-12-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm inclined to think it's the latter option. According to IMDB, Mark Ryan was back in the sequel. Perplexingly, he voiced Jetfire instead of Bumblebee this time around. At least that explaines why Jetfire didn't sound like John Turturro, who was originally rumoured to voice Jetfire.

I also found this titdbit interesting:

Screenwriter Ehren Kruger was signed on for his encyclopedic knowledge of the Transformers and because he was a good friend of Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.
Way to not put any of that knowledge to use.
Old 07-12-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I also found this titdbit interesting:

Way to not put any of that knowledge to use.
I thought they put some of it to use, at least compared to the first one where they seemed to ignore everything from the original Transformers at all.

Megatron/Starscream, Matrix, a Space Bridge teleport (sort of), The Fallen... again, probably the reason why I enjoyed this one more then the first movie was the actual inclusion of more stuff from other Transformers media. Now the execution of those things obviously needed some work

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-12-09 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To me it felt more like they just tossed a few key names into the mix with total disregard to their significance in the original mythos. As for Megatron/Starscream, their relationship was well established in their brief conversation in the first movie. All that was missing (from the sequel as well) was having Starscream scheming to take over. You just saw him follow orders in the first movie and get bitchslapped in the second.

Here are two funny tidbits:

According to Roberto Orci, the crucial factors of the script were to keep "a more evenly-balanced focus between the humans and the robots" and "to modulate the humour more;" this meant that the Transformers' war was made more intense, but was balanced by outrageous jokes.
AND

Michael Bay described the tone of the film as "Ben-Hur (1959) fused with Apocalypse Now (1979)."

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-13-09 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-13-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To this day...I wish I owned Devastator....*tear*
I still have all of my old Transformers somewhere boxed away in my basement. I never really liked Devastator due to the fact that you couldn't move it's legs. Menasor/Superion were much better toy designs IMO.

If anyone really wants a classic one my advice is to pick up the original constructicons individually. That's a fairly easy way of getting them all for a good price.
Old 07-13-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

To me it felt more like they just tossed a few key names into the mix with total disregard to their significance in the original mythos. As for Megatron/Starscream, their relationship was well established in their brief conversation in the first movie. All that was missing (from the sequel as well) was having Starscream scheming to take over. You just saw him follow orders in the first movie and get bitchslapped in the second.
If I recall, all the first film had was a throwaway line from Megatron saying that Starscream failed him without any reasoning and fans trying to decide of Starscream was one of the planes that shot at Megatron at the end . I thought that hardly established anything and was happy to see actual interaction between them.

I guess the rest of the additions is up to interpretation, but for me I'm happier to see some attempts at including these things. Meanwhile, I think they did balance humans/robots better in the 2nd movie. The first movie's concentration on humans was one of the major points that I disliked about it. But yeah, the humor was certainly a mistake.
Old 07-13-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get what you're on about, fumanstan. I was one of those who thought Starscream perhaps shot at Megatron. Though I was glad to see actual interaction between them in the sequel, I didn't like how they simply turned Starscream into a bitch and forgot that the first film established him as a badass. I can understand his being smacked around by Megatron but I didn't buy him suddenly being a complete and total pussy in the sequel. Even Ironhide freaked out when he saw Starscream in the first movie. But then Megatron also became a pussy in the sequel (yet somehow managed to kill Optimus despite the fact that only a Prime can kill a Prime).

I didn't feel the balance was there at all. Sure, Mudflap and Skids got a boatload of screentime but all the Autobots that were introduced in the entertaining opening sequence, as well as several of the Autobots from part one, were pushed offscreen through most of the movie. Heck, Optimus Prime became to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen what Lois Lane is to Smallville. The robots still weren't the stars and they didn't really share the spotlight with the humans as co-stars either. They were just plot contrivances to get the humans from point A to point B.
Old 07-13-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

If any movie didnt deserve 30 pages worth of plot discussion it is this one.

They obviously sat down before filming, decided what people liked about the first one and someone screamed "More Everything!"
Old 07-13-09, 11:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^ yet it they hired a blind editor to cut down a film that needed to have around 45 minutes worth of deletions
Old 07-13-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I get what you're on about, fumanstan. I was one of those who thought Starscream perhaps shot at Megatron.
I got the impression that the writers didn't even think of having Starscream shoot Megatron and making it clear as day on film. If they actually thought over these scipts more, they would have shown Starscream transforming and backstabbing Megatron. As is, the shots probably went to ILM as "a few jets fly by and shoot Megatron". The writer's reaction to the fan speculation was similiar to, "Hey that's not a bad idea! We should have came up with that!"

Personally, I'm more upset with what they did to Starscream in this series than Megatron. None of the transformers had more character range than Starscream. He could be a pain in the ass, clever, condescending guy but he was dangerous as hell to everyone, the decepticons, autobots, and humans.
Old 07-13-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
If any movie didnt deserve 30 pages worth of plot discussion it is this one.

They obviously sat down before filming, decided what people liked about the first one and someone screamed "More Everything!"
Just brilliant.
Old 07-13-09, 03:50 PM
Banned

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGQsthDNGW0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGQsthDNGW0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-13-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I got the impression that the writers didn't even think of having Starscream shoot Megatron and making it clear as day on film. If they actually thought over these scipts more, they would have shown Starscream transforming and backstabbing Megatron. As is, the shots probably went to ILM as "a few jets fly by and shoot Megatron". The writer's reaction to the fan speculation was similiar to, "Hey that's not a bad idea! We should have came up with that!"
Yeah, I remember that and I agree. It was just a case of us fans filling in the blanks the writers left all over the place. But at least the blanks in the first were far easier to fill than what amounts to missing pages in the sequel.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Personally, I'm more upset with what they did to Starscream in this series than Megatron. None of the transformers had more character range than Starscream. He could be a pain in the ass, clever, condescending guy but he was dangerous as hell to everyone, the decepticons, autobots, and humans.
See? That's why I like Ironhide's freakout in the first movie and how Starscream beat the shit out of Ironhide and Ratchet and then started tearing appart the F-22's. It gave a taste of things to come. You have Megatron's reaction to him hinting at how troubled their relationship is and you have how dangerous Starscream can be as well. Sadly, none of that was paid off in the sequel.

This is why I feel that Ehren Kruger put none of his so-called "encyclopedic knowledge of the Transformers" to use and simply tossed random terms and names at Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to pad their script.
Old 07-13-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGQsthDNGW0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGQsthDNGW0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
It would have been funnier if they switched Megatron for Starscream. All the G1 gay jokes fans would make were always related to him, not Megatron.

Other than that, I mostly liked it.
Old 07-18-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

just found out the original voice actor for the cartoon soundwave is did him in the movie too

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.