Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Old 06-24-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I'm not big into chicks with no personality that let their titties bounce around for 3 hours.
Old 06-24-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That and I don't find Meagan Fox's brand of hot... hot. I'm not big into
Old 06-24-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maingon
I dont get the hate of this movie or Micheal Bay. These are fun movies and most of all of Micheal Bay movies are a ton of fun, and are great popcorn movies.
I'm a proud Michael Bay fan and a fan of summer movies in general, but Revenge of the Fallen is just a shitty, boring movie any way you slice it. The dialogue is godawful, the barrage of bad jokes are lame, and the fight scenes -- which ordinarily are a key cornerstone of a summer movie -- are completely unintelligible. And with the exception of Optimus, Bumblebee and The Fallen, every robot looked the same. During the battle sequences (especially in the desert), tell me you knew who was fighting who.

It's a big, loud, overdrawn mess.
Old 06-24-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BJacks
I'm a proud Michael Bay fan and a fan of summer movies in general, but Revenge of the Fallen is just a shitty, boring movie any way you slice it. The dialogue is godawful, the barrage of bad jokes are lame, and the fight scenes -- which ordinarily are a key cornerstone of a summer movie -- are completely unintelligible. And with the exception of Optimus, Bumblebee and The Fallen, every robot looked the same. During the battle sequences (especially in the desert), tell me you knew who was fighting who.

It's a big, loud, overdrawn mess.

I totally agree, if I could have made out the fight scenes alone, I might have forgiven some of the other blantant errors made in the making of this film. There were times I couldn't tell the Autobots from the Decepticons, especially in the desert!

Not to mention there's no way I'm taking my kid to see robot nuts!
Old 06-24-09, 03:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a shot in the desert where you see some random robot get their head shot off, then later you see another robot getting its head shot off, and it looks like the same shot of the same robot. I think one was meant to be an Autobot and another a Decepticon, but they looked exactly the same. What happened to these robots being distinctive?

And where was all the transforming? In the first movie, both groups of robots spent a decent amount of time as vehicles, and they used their transforming abilities in combat. In this one, they were pretty much always in robot mode, and never transformed during a fight, except for that one sports car Decepticon at the beginning of the movie.

Originally Posted by outcastja
Really, I watched it at your theater and loved the sound, probably the only 3 things I liked about the movie.
I told our IMAX projectionist about the sound, so they may have tweaked it between my viewing and the public screenings.

And anyone who couldn't see that Mudflap and Skids were black stereotypes must be willfully closing their eyes. The only way it would have been more obvious was if they were in blackface hopping around going, "Yes, massa! I's a gonna do that for ya, massa!"

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-24-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And where was all the transforming? In the first movie, both groups of robots spent a decent amount of time as vehicles, and they used their transforming abilities in combat. In this one, they were pretty much always in robot mode, and never transformed during a fight, except for that one sports car Decepticon at the beginning of the movie.
What bugged me was it took Devastator took more time to transform than it took to have his fight with the twins. Then after the fight all he does is climb a pyramid and get blown up by the military.

If you added up the time of Decepticons vs Autobots battling it out, it would probably top 20 minutes at most. And that's inexcusable for a film about their war.
Old 06-24-09, 03:39 PM

There's a point where sticking too close to the animated source material does not work though... and becomes ridiculous... especially when Bay claims to be shooting for "realism" through his changes to more realistic bot designs and military involvement.

I actually don't think he went far enough "over the top" And what we've ended up with is a realistic setting with unrealistic actions.

The Smithsonian Aerospace Museum only has like... 4 guards? Right...
You can put a decepticon in your checked baggage? Right...
You can get high off a pot brownie that small? Right...
Where the hell were all the Autobots when Opimus got OWNED by the Decepticons?

What I could not believe all the testicle jokes, the "gangsta" twins (which every 18-25 joe schmo white rapper fan will love), and generally lots of potty humor. That brought the film waaay down for me.

That and I don't find Meagan Fox's brand of hot... hot. I'm not big into chicks with no personality that let their titties bounce around for 3 hours.
prime never got owned. he killed blackout, ripped starscream's arm off, and beat the living hell out of megatron. the fact it took 3 to kill him is proof that this is the prime we grew up with in the 80's.
Old 06-24-09, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Prime never got owned?
Spoiler:
He was killed!
Old 06-24-09, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know what? I liked it. I really did. Yes, some of the gripes here about the dialogue and whatnot but...I liked it. I thought it was better than the 1st one. I could do without the new roommate guy and the stereotype twins..but I really liked it. Will it top my favorite list? No, and I can accept that. It was a big action film with Robots kicking ass and it was fun. Also...the Autobots got little face time...Ratchet was barely there. Was nice to see Arcee too.
Old 06-24-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The action sounds incredible, and Devastator alone seems to be the big reason to see this thing at all. But I left the theater disappointed by the last one, after a year of anticipation, and was pretty much determined to skip any sequels.

Tempted as I've been-- again, really only by Devastator-- I'm going to wait. I can imagine walking out feeling much the same way as I did two years ago.

--THX
Old 06-24-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a lot of profanity in this? Any fucks? Anything obscene? Is there a lot of drug & sex humor? I'm babysitting tomorrow (8 & 10 year old) & was going to take them to see this but their mom is very conservative (she won't let them watch the Dark Knight) & now from what I'm hearing about this movie I'm thinking I shouldn't.
Old 06-24-09, 04:23 PM
Banned

Don't take them. There is actually an amazing amount of cursing in this film..considering that the last one didn't have much at all. Bitch, hell, shit, damn and all it's variations pop up a bit. No fucks though...
Old 06-24-09, 04:36 PM
Banned by request

RC calls Megan Fox a bitch, the dum-dum twins use the word "pussy" continuously, there's more I'm forgetting, I'm sure.
Old 06-24-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Don't take them. There is actually an amazing amount of cursing in this film..considering that the last one didn't have much at all. Bitch, hell, shit, damn and all it's variations pop up a bit. No fucks though...
The cursing isn't that big of a deal, they know bad words are wrong, their mom will have a bigger problem with sex & drug humor.
Old 06-24-09, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

There's a ton of crude sex humor throughout. Don't remember much about drugs, except the pot brownies.
Old 06-24-09, 04:42 PM
Banned

yeah. Pot brownies...could've done without that.
Old 06-24-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and theres that wonderfull shot of Megan Fox on the motorcycle
Old 06-24-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys, sounds like I'm going to have to pass on taking the kids to see this, which really F'n pisses me off. I didn't like the first movie, but I would have liked to take the kids to see this. Just look at my DVD collection, obviously I'm far from "PC" or conservative in my taste, but I think it's utter crap what Bay seems to have done with this movie. Kids want to see giant trasforming robots blow stuff up, nothing more, & there are millions of adults that are happy with the same. You don't need to throw in loads of sexual content to get 30+ year old men to see see giant robots blowing stuff up. I shouldn't have be worried about explaining what pot is to an 8 year old while seeing a Transormers movie.
Old 06-24-09, 05:02 PM

It's very hard to take serious stock in the movie-going hoards today. Once bad word of mouth starts on a huge picture, it ends up being "the worst movie abomination of all time". The opposite was true last year of TDK. The great word of mouth led people to start calling it, "the greatest movie of all time." Truth, invariably lies somewhere in the middle.

Revenge of the Fallen ends up suffering from the same malady as Matrix: Revolutions. A very engaging summer blockbuster leads to a bloated sequel where it's maker's forget what made the previous movie great in the first place.

I do think some of the complaints against the humor and crudeness are unjustified. Apparently Kevin Smith is a genius for showing a man having intercourse with a horse and South Park is the epoch of humor for giving us a gerbil/hamster (I honestly forget which) crawling up a mans ass.

But, it's not hypocritical at all to ravage Bay for presenting 1/100 of the crudeness in Transformer's that is lauded throughout these forums and internet *sarcasm*. But, I attribute that mainly to mob mentality when dealing with poor reception of a huge summer movie.

The potential was there, but misdirected at the wrong places. Michael Bay would next time do good remember the phrase, "Less is More", the next time he's thinking of upping the ante.

3 stars out of 5

Last edited by thecrackedjack2; 06-24-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
yeah. Pot brownies...could've done without that.
Have you ever actually HAD "pot brownies"?

They're pretty cool.
Old 06-24-09, 05:21 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
It's very hard to take serious stock in the movie-going hoards today. Once bad word of mouth starts on a huge picture, it ends up being "the worst movie abomination of all time". The opposite was true last year of TDK. The great word of mouth led people to start calling it, "the greatest movie of all time." Truth, invariably lies somewhere in the middle.
I didn't notice many people here calling it the worst movie of all time. Just a totally crappy movie.

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
I do think some of the complaints against the humor and crudeness are unjustified. Apparently Kevin Smith is a genius for showing a man having intercourse with a horse and South Park is the epoch of humor for giving us a gerbil/hamster (I honestly forget which) crawling up a mans ass.

But, it's not hypocritical at all to ravage Bay for presenting 1/100 of the crudeness in Transformer's that is lauded throughout these forums and internet *sarcasm*. But, I attribute that mainly to mob mentality when dealing with poor reception of a huge summer movie.
It's not just the content, but how it's presented. Smith and Parker/Stone are much funnier than Michael Bay. And in those movies, the humor was the point of the films. In this, the humor is just taking away screentime from what we actually want to see: Giant robots kicking butt and characters we care about.
Old 06-24-09, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I didn't notice many people here calling it the worst movie of all time. Just a totally crappy movie.

It's not just the content, but how it's presented. Smith and Parker/Stone are much funnier than Michael Bay. And in those movies, the humor was the point of the films. In this, the humor is just taking away screentime from what we actually want to see: Giant robots kicking butt and cleavage we care about.
Fixed it for you.
Old 06-24-09, 05:26 PM
Banned by request

No, Bay made sure there was plenty of cleavage on display in this movie.
Old 06-24-09, 05:53 PM

I never thought about it this way:

Last edited by Aegean2007; 06-24-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far 4 people in this poll have given this film a five star rating!!

Holy Crap!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.