Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Man, are any of these summer movies going to live up to expectations? Last year we had Hulk, Iron Man, Dark Knight, etc hitting the mark and now all these seem to to missing it. Disappointing indeed.

Still, look forward to seeing it though.
Old 06-22-09, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's always Inglourious Basterds, no?
Old 06-22-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
Man, are any of these summer movies going to live up to expectations? Last year we had Hulk, Iron Man, Dark Knight, etc hitting the mark and now all these seem to to missing it. Disappointing indeed.

Still, look forward to seeing it though.
I even enjoyed Hancock last year, but this summer, after Star Trek, just nothing. Year 1 is more like January Feb movie, not a tentpole summer flick! Where are the big special effects movies this summer?? Marvel really dropped the ball this year.
Old 06-22-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
....I walked out after 10 minutes.
I didn't see it in theaters but watched the first ten min or so... loved it! I hope the rest of it is like that...
Old 06-22-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Old 06-23-09, 12:14 AM

Just saw it and was Dissapointed. Not crap but an average sequel. After loving the 1st one I was so looking forward to this.

Micheal Bay sometimes less is more. Just to much thrown in on this one. Didn't care about the human characters at all. John Tutturo (sp?) was one of the only bright spots. And with the action it was hard to keep track of who was who with the shaky cam and close ups, especially since most of the robots weren't properly introduced. The 1st one also had a better story to. Oh well, it is what it is.
Old 06-23-09, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
Man, are any of these summer movies going to live up to expectations? Last year we had Hulk, Iron Man, Dark Knight, etc hitting the mark and now all these seem to to missing it.

The Incredible Hulk was pure garbage.
Old 06-23-09, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means

The Incredible Hulk was pure garbage.
I and RT (A respectable 66%, not bad for a summer popcorn flick) would disagree. But, that's the wonderful thing about opinions.
Old 06-23-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ebert's one star review

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/906239997

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.
Old 06-23-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of review blurbs on RT that had me

"A 150-minute simulation of life in a garbage disposal." Matt Pais, Metromix.com

"It’s like being hit over the head repeatedly with a very expensive, very loud train set. After two and a half hours in this bludgeoning company, you’re begging Bay to put away the boys’ toys and make a rom-com." Ed Potton, The Times
Old 06-23-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't always agree with Roger Ebert, but I enjoyed that review...
Old 06-23-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone confirm if this is "old school" Michael Bay (i.e. Armageddon, Bad Boys 2: nonstop quick cuts and frenetic editing), or "new school" (i.e. The Island, Transformers 1: kinda like old Bay but the cuts aren't as fast and the editing a little slower)?

I prefer old school!
Old 06-23-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ain't It Cool is the perfect review. I agree with each and every word.

I like popcorn flicks, with expolsions, heck I've been known to enjoy a Michael Bay film or two, but my main gripe, just like my complaint about the first is the Transformer design. You can hardly tell what's happening with all of the bits of whirring metal, it just looks like large pieces of scrap rolling on top of each other. At least give me that a cleaner design...so I can enjoy the fight scenes, so I can see the individual strengths of each.

I saw this movie free, from a press pass and it was just explosions, metal and nothing else. I could have cared less if each and every character died, I don't know if I've ever been so emotionally disconnected from a movie. There were several Jar-Jar annoying characters and it seemed like the dialogue was written for, who? I don't know. There were so many sexual references that just weren't funny. I could forgive them if they made me laugh, but I didn't, not once.

Basically, there's NO way I'm going to take my daughter to see this, I don't care how much she loves Shia, I will not sit through it again.
Old 06-23-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
Ain't It Cool is the perfect review. I agree with each and every word.

I like popcorn flicks, with expolsions, heck I've been known to enjoy a Michael Bay film or two, but my main gripe, just like my complaint about the first is the Transformer design. You can hardly tell what's happening with all of the bits of whirring metal, it just looks like large pieces of scrap rolling on top of each other. At least give me that a cleaner design...so I can enjoy the fight scenes, so I can see the individual strengths of each.
That's big one of my biggest problems with the series. The Transformers already HAVE relatively clean designs. They just need to update them to look a little more realistic and I think it would have been great. Instead it literally looks like they blew up each car, assembled the pieces to look vaguely humanoid and then created the designs from that.

Very disappointing.
Old 06-23-09, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
The Transformers already HAVE relatively clean designs. They just need to update them to look a little more realistic and I think it would have been great. Instead it literally looks like they blew up each car, assembled the pieces to look vaguely humanoid and then created the designs from that.

Very disappointing.
Yes, I totally agree! The design is completely overdone and cluttered. You could always tell the different Transformers apart in the series, you could see that one started out as a truck and once transformed you could still see truck-like attributes. Now they all look like scrap metal heaps.

My friend went to the bathroom and came back and was like, "Um, what Transformer is that?" I'd been sitting there and couldn't tell her. What a mess.
Old 06-23-09, 11:21 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by spizz
John Turturro (sp?) was one of the only bright spots.
really? i thought he was one of the negatives from the first. was he better or more toned-down than the previous?
Old 06-23-09, 02:42 PM

I saw this last night and I found it to be quite an entertaining summer action flick. Yes it did have some faults as mentioned in previous posts, and a scene or two where they really laid on the cheese, but I didn't go into it expecting Silence of the Lambs. The audience really got into it, cheering and clapping several times throughout the movie, and even more so at the end. Special effects and sets were larger than life and completely over the top, I had to just laugh and enjoy it for what it was.
Old 06-23-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this was a reviews thread.

I thought it had many of the same problems as the first movie, but also addressed many of the problems of the first movie.

The movie flows better.

There's less plot holes. Although they're still there... who cares.

Still...

Spoiler:
The whole point of the transformers is that they're robots in disguise, and despite this, the autobots and decepticons can detect each other. So why doesn't bumblebee just blow the hell out of that pretender the first time he sees it, instead of just playing Superfreak?

Meteors constantly colliding with the planet is sure to draw the attention of the autobots and the humans.

Why not just hold megatron in another facility like they did in the first movie? why at the bottom of the ocean?

Last edited by Superboy; 06-23-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

A much better question is
Spoiler:
why didn't they just melt Megatron down to a molten pile? After the first movie, they knew how hot you needed to get them to damage them.
Old 06-23-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
A much better question is
Spoiler:
why didn't they just melt Megatron down to a molten pile? After the first movie, they knew how hot you needed to get them to damage them.
Even better...

Spoiler:
In the first movie, Prime made a big deal about sacrificing himself to destroy the allspark. Obviously this is not fatal, so why didn't he just do it?
Old 06-23-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually that one I explained elsewhere.
Spoiler:
Ratchet said "the Cube is raw power. It COULD destroy you both." The outcome of Prime merging with the Allspark was unknown. Sam just lucked out that it made Megatron shut down instead of instantly turning him in an uber-Transformer.
Old 06-23-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
I saw this movie free, from a press pass and it was just explosions, metal and nothing else. I could have cared less if each and every character died, I don't know if I've ever been so emotionally disconnected from a movie. n.
So you cared about the characters?

Old 06-23-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have we already forgotten the graph?

Old 06-23-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Say no to Decepticon balls.
Old 06-23-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was one of the worst films I've seen this decade. A boring, bloated mess. And I'm the most un-PC guy on the planet but even I was shocked by the blatant racism. Gold teeth-adorned, streettalk-slinging, ape-looking, weed-smoking illiterate robots? Jesus.

Last edited by BJacks; 06-23-09 at 05:58 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.